Good Map Of Pattaya!

sunem

Someone who can recomend a god searchable map of Pattaya! Down to Soi-level!

/sunem

The best one I've found (thanks to Bambi!) is at:

http://www.pattaya-at-night.com/postcard/p...pattaya-map.gif

It has a good zoom feature that allows you to move around, and zoom in on any area, and includes a much broader view of Pattaya than most maps.

For some reason, that link doesn't seem to work. Let's try this:

*edit: copied and pinned, thanks. udon

post-20061-1148024232_thumb.jpg

There's loads of paper maps available in the book shops, and I've got a quite a stack.

One of the best ones - which is very similar to the one on the web, but even more detail, is:

Best Map of Pattaya

P.A.C. Co. Ltd

Stadtplan.

Its in English, and I probably bought it in Bookazine, as they are one of the sponsors. Nice big glossy map that goes right out to Mapbrachan, with Jomtien Beach on the reverse side.

The reason for me to ask for a god map, is that I'm planning to do one myself!

I've alredy done some in the Phuket area and are now looking at Pattaya.

But it's interesting to see whats already exist!

The maps I do is searchable (on everything I put to the map), easy to update (and will be updated when needed!) and geographic right!

If You want to see a example of what I'm talking about, You have a link in my profile!

/sunem

The maps I do is searchable (on everything I put to the map), easy to update (and will be updated when needed!) and geographic right!

If You want to see a example of what I'm talking about, You have a link in my profile!

/sunem

So correct me if I`m wrong.....in order to highlight where a business is and to highlight and name the Soi for instance the business pays an advertising fee. Otherwise your maps show little detail of local facilities etc.

/sunem

So correct me if I`m wrong.....in order to highlight where a business is and to highlight and name the Soi for instance the business pays an advertising fee. Otherwise your maps show little detail of local facilities etc.

You are correct mr Fox!

Streetnames and places of common intress will be on the map from start!

Also the bigger hotels. Then I will try to sell the ide to smaller businesses that

it's a good idea to be on the map!

After all it cost to do the map and I hope this will be my way to make my living,

instead of opening a bar!

regards

/sunem

Assuming that you intend to produce an on-line, searchable and regularly updated map of Pattaya, I wonder how you will fare against the many paper maps that are available for Pattaya and its population. There are a lot and most of them are free; in fact, I can't think of one that I've ever had to pay for. Yes, I appreciate that your advertisers and, maybe sponsors, will cover the cost of producing and maintaining this map but who will use it? Those of us who have lived in Pattaya for some time know the area well and we do keep up-to-date with the frequent changes and developments...usually because we see them at first hand in our travels around the town. Others, mainly tourists, will pick up freebies in their accommodation and I think that their use of the Internet mainly covers e-mails to home.

Nevertheless, even though I sound like a naysayer, I wish you good luck and success in your project and it's a great idea of yours not to open a bar. Do keep us posted please.

/sunem

Hi Sunem, I've just checked out your map of "Patong Beach" using your link. On the face of it, nicely put together, I'd say. However, my Pop-up Blocker came into action and I declined to allow pop-ups to be allowed. Furthermore, I see the site needs Java VM and I'll be surprised if many of the side-soi Internet Shops in Pattaya have ever heard of Java VM. It's also very slow, jerky and erratic and, sometimes, all I could see on the main display area were red spots and arrows. I'll try again later but, on my first viewing, I'd say the site needs some refining. Sorry, but if you think that the problem lies with my machine then I'd be grateful if you could advise me. Thank you.

Assuming that you intend to produce an on-line, searchable and regularly updated map of Pattaya, I wonder how you will fare against the many paper maps that are available for Pattaya and its population. There are a lot and most of them are free; in fact, I can't think of one that I've ever had to pay for. Yes, I appreciate that your advertisers and, maybe sponsors, will cover the cost of producing and maintaining this map but who will use it? Those of us who have lived in Pattaya for some time know the area well and we do keep up-to-date with the frequent changes and developments...usually because we see them at first hand in our travels around the town. Others, mainly tourists, will pick up freebies in their accommodation and I think that their use of the Internet mainly covers e-mails to home.

Nevertheless, even though I sound like a naysayer, I wish you good luck and success in your project and it's a great idea of yours not to open a bar. Do keep us posted please.

Hi!

The map is not intended for the people that lives there and already know Pattaya! Even if it can be a god help for them to!

Internet is BIG and many people look for information thru internet! My map should be for them. It's more for those who is interested and planning to come there and/or looking for a speciall place! And then I'm sure they pick up a free map when they are coming to the place!

I have got a god response for my ........ and thats encurage me to try somthing bigger!

This is still a hobby for me, but I'm planning to live in Thailand, and hopefully can live on the maps! I have run a bar in Patong Beach for a year now, and found out that I don't want to do that for the rest of my life!

/sunem

/sunem

Hi Sunem, I've just checked out your map of "Patong Beach" using your link. On the face of it, nicely put together, I'd say. However, my Pop-up Blocker came into action and I declined to allow pop-ups to be allowed. Furthermore, I see the site needs Java VM and I'll be surprised if many of the side-soi Internet Shops in Pattaya have ever heard of Java VM. It's also very slow, jerky and erratic and, sometimes, all I could see on the main display area were red spots and arrows. I'll try again later but, on my first viewing, I'd say the site needs some refining. Sorry, but if you think that the problem lies with my machine then I'd be grateful if you could advise me. Thank you.

Yes! You need to have Java installed in Your browser to see the maps! It's free and gives You more possibilitys with Your browser (more than looking at my maps :o )

You can decline pop-ups, but then You miss a big advantance with the maps! The red dots You see, is also links to the places own webb-sites! I have created all the links and I can guarante thet they are all harmless. So if You allow pop-ups just from that site, nothing evil will happen with Your computer!

The maps take some time to load on a slow computer, but if You use the map it will be faster and faster as the gif-pictures is stored in Your cache-memory! The map is built up from 1600 small gif pictures

Regards

/sunem

Hi Sunem.

Your project sound very interesting and entrepeneurial and I wish you luck. Wouldn't it be great if you really could live off it?

Please don't take the following as a moan, but more of a constructive criticism.

Most, if not all the maps, either paper, or on disc, or on the web, all have sponsors of one kind or another, and as a consequence the sponsors establishments are shown and those who don't sponsor are ususllly not shown - unless they are a major hotel, or a famous venue. If the map is a freebie, then I guess this is fair enough, but when you buy a map, as I have done on several ocassions, and I can't find a particular place, venue or hotel etc because they haven't sponsored the publisher, then I find it most annoying. Ok give more prominence to the sponsors, but at least show everything (within reason), even if the print is very fine.

Now I understand that your maps will be free on the web, and you will generate your income from the sponsors, so maybe its fair game, but please bear in mind that if anyone is looking for a particular place, and goes to your web map, and they can't find it because that place is not one of your sponsors, then chances are that person will be pissed off.

Not sure what the answer is, but it may be worth bearing in mind. :o

Edited by Mobi D'Ark

Hi Sunem.

Your project sound very interesting and entrepeneurial and I wish you luck. Wouldn't it be great if you really could live off it?

Please don't take the following as a moan, but more of a constructive criticism.

Most, if not all the maps, either paper, or on disc, or on the web, all have sponsors of one kind or another, and as a consequence the sponsors establishments are shown and those who don't sponsor are ususllly not shown - unless they are a major hotel, or a famous venue. If the map is a freebie, then I guess this is fair enough, but when you buy a map, as I have done on several ocassions, and I can't find a particular place, venue or hotel etc because they haven't sponsored the publisher, then I find it most annoying. Ok give more prominence to the sponsors, but at least show everything (within reason), even if the print is very fine.

Now I understand that your maps will be free on the web, and you will generate your income from the sponsors, so maybe its fair game, but please bear in mind that if anyone is looking for a particular place, and goes to your web map, and they can't find it because that place is not one of your sponsors, then chances are that person will be pissed off.

Not sure what the answer is, but it may be worth bearing in mind. :D

I see Your point Mobi!

And I'm aware of the problem!

With so many places in Pattaya it's impossible to have everything on the map from scratch. But somewehere I have to start!

ThaiVisa also started once upon a time with empty forums. Now it's a incredible source of information. All websites have to start at a small level and then grow!

It's no secret that I'll hope to get money from sponsors, and the fee to be on the map will be low (100baht/month). I hope that is low enough to attract all :o to be on the map! And high enough for me to live on! :D

It will never be 100% but wich source of information is that??

I started this thread just to check out wich and who I have to compete with, and so far I'm not impressed! I'm sure I can do something better, and thats my buisniss idea!

What people can do if they don't find their favorite spot is to encurage the owner to contact me!

/sunem

ThaiVisa also started once upon a time with empty forums. Now it's a incredible source of information. All websites have to start at a small level and then grow!

It's no secret that I'll hope to get money from sponsors, and the fee to be on the map will be low (100baht/month). I hope that is low enough to attract all :o to be on the map! And high enough for me to live on! :D

What people can do if they don't find their favorite spot is to encurage the owner to contact me!

/sunem

Sunem, with a fee of only 100 baht/month, it's a bargain and you should be able to attract every business there is in Pattaya. Best of luck and I'll watch your website with interest.

• 4 months later...

/sunem

Very nice maps you have created sunem! :o

You're going to have to explain what you mean by "searchable" (assuming you mean something other than searching with your eyes).

This one is halfway decent:

http://www.thaiwaysmagazine.com/pattaya_ma...ap_pattaya.html

Searchable for me is when you have a "intelligent" map! To get that you have do classify everything on the map and save the information in a database!

On my maps you have a toolbar to the right and there you can chose different "Categorys". Ex Hotel, Bars etc. You then get all the names thats on the map in a list! A click on the name will show you exact location!

Thaiwaysmagazines map is god, but it's not searchable (except with your eyes :o )

In November I plan to stay three weeks in Pattaya and do a map similar to my previus maps in Phuket!

Maybee I'll meet some of You Pattaya-pros then!

For me it will be first time there!

/sunem

I've looked at the map links provided. All these maps have their shortcomings; either out of date, lacking detail (smaller sois) or simply inaccurate. The best I've seen is a friend who had a GPS unit for his car with a map of Thailand. The Pattaya map was surprisingly detailed. The big drawback is the cost. Prohibitively expensive for most people.

Hi Sunem,

For what it's worth, and I KNOW you are looking for online, searchable maps, still I would urge you to check out the following 2 maps, both in paper format:

1. Pattaya big area road map (great especially for east of Sukhumvit area)

2. Living in Pattaya and Rayong (this is a comprehensive guide book, but has some awesome maps at the back)

If you could use some of the ideas and layouts from these (without outright copying/stealing!), I think you could also interest a great many expats living here permanently, because I for one, after 10 years here, still often use a map.

Hi Sunem,

For what it's worth, and I KNOW you are looking for online, searchable maps, still I would urge you to check out the following 2 maps, both in paper format:

1. Pattaya big area road map (great especially for east of Sukhumvit area)

2. Living in Pattaya and Rayong (this is a comprehensive guide book, but has some awesome maps at the back)

If you could use some of the ideas and layouts from these (without outright copying/stealing!), I think you could also interest a great many expats living here permanently, because I for one, after 10 years here, still often use a map.

Ok Woodentop!

I'll check these maps out when I come to Pattaya!

But remeber that layout from the web is different from layout on the web! But is there is some god things there, I maybe can use something!

Thanks for the ideas !

/sunem

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
That map is looking great. Perhaps if the guesthouse icons etc on the map could be labled with hotel name etc it would help when just browsing the map.

Great work many thanks

The big hotel and the restaurants that are on the map is now labeled!

Makes it a lot easier if you searc another category, to se whats in the neighborhood!

And a lot more places is added the last weeks! I have also started with the work on a Jomtien map! When that's finished I do one of Naklau!

/Claes

That map is looking great. Perhaps if the guesthouse icons etc on the map could be labled with hotel name etc it would help when just browsing the map.

Great work many thanks

The big hotel and the restaurants that are on the map is now labeled!

Makes it a lot easier if you searc another category, to se whats in the neighborhood!

And a lot more places is added the last weeks! I have also started with the work on a Jomtien map! When that's finished I do one of Naklau!

/Claes

Wouldnt it be great if your map was WAP capable so you could take it with you and it could be GPS interfaced to give you the way to get there

good luck with your project