Uk Visa Outsourcing Centre

The following is an account of a visit to the outsourcing centre on May 12th., taken from another website with the authors permission.

It shows how the system is working now that it has got over it's teething problems.

* and my good self went to hand in her UK Settlement Visa application today at the new VFS office at Rajadmri. I thought I’d write down a brief outline of what took place as that’s the sort of thing I would have liked to have read before I went. Sorry if I’m stating the obvious at times;

The home of VFS, Regent House, is located to the South-East of the BTS station on Rajadamri Road, after the posh hotels but before the Cambodian Embassy (it is clearly marked in big red letters at the top of the building). Car parking space seemed limited.

We arrived at 8 am and were last in a queue of about 20. Minutes after we got there a VFS employee showed up and told us all to get in line – first come first served. Then we all crocodiled up to the 2nd floor, entered the VFS office, took a ticket and then a seat. We were asked to switch off our mobile phones. The office has a dentist’s waiting room feel – too bright and clinical with warnings on the wall ‘make sure you filled in this form; make sure you didn’t forget to bring that letter’ Aaaggghhh!

There are 10 service counters in total; 1 for the cashier, 1 for information and 8 for applications.

You can also access;

a photocopier(3 Baht per page)

photo machine(4 for 250 Baht)

banker’s drafts facility(+ 35 Baht for our 18,200 Baht S/V fee)

translation services

a cash machine back on the ground floor just inside the entrance to the building

tea/coffee etc.

By 8.15 staff were walking around checking applicants’ documents. The lady that came to see us seemed half asleep and, indeed, didn’t spot the discrepancies in our application that materialised later.

All 10 counters opened at 8.30 sharp and people were being dealt with quickly. Me and * were handing in our application at 8.40. Here’s what I know;

It MUST MUST MUST be a banker’s draft and not a cashier’s cheque. I went to my local Bangkok Bank yesterday and asked for a banker’s draft (I even had * write it in Thai which I handed to the cashier) and she gave me a cashier’s cheque and assured me that they were one and the same – not so. The good news is you can buy banker’s drafts at VFS.

There was also a minor glitch because I didn’t have EVERY (including the blank pages) of my British passport photocopied. (* only needed the used pages of her old and new Thai passport copied).

I chatted briefly with an (I think) Indian guy who works there. He said that he’d been there form the start and things were initially very hectic – teething problems of a new office, coupled with the fallout of the Songkran holiday and changeover of offices backlog. Now things have apparently calmed down a lot and waiting times are down to around 20/30 mins.

One more thing; while I was there I overheard two couples walking out grumbling about not having a TB Certificate – be warned!

On the whole the staff were professional, cheerful and efficient. Me and * had thought it would take the best part of the day (we were armed with books, magazines, snacks etc.) but we were done by 9 am.

All we have to do now is wait 15 days to see if she got the visa – fingers crossed!

Then on 18th May he posted
We handed our application in last Friday and we picked up * passport this afternoon - complete with pretty S/V sticker
Edited by GU22

I was there last week and found it speedy and friendly, it does seem to have slowed down the process of actually getting a Visa back from the Embassy but the actual appliacation is much quicker than the horror stories I had heard before.

• 2 weeks later...

Fine if you can turn up at 8am. Some of us are driving our kids to school at that time of day. When I went (earlier the same week, but slightly later in the day), it was a matter of queueing for hours.

It shows how the system is working now that it has got over it's teething problems.

Really - this is how. They are still mis-informed.

We arrived at the Agency late afternoon (25-5-06). We were seen in good time, maybe 20mins including completion of VAF1 form.

Which we had to complete BEFORE the guard would issue a numbered ticket.

After this our problems started –

The girl rejects the photo… insisted it needed to FILL the box – but we had just got 35x45 photos taken one hour earlier in a photo lab!

OK, if this is going to hold it up the visa, we go and get them taken there.

Later I measure the box (40x45) and the photo (34x47) – Somkid obviously went wild with the scissors when he cut the borders off . When we look, they are all fractionally different. But the forms box is clearly OVERSIZED – that’s not my mistake.

Then – the criteria form isn’t either of the ones I downloaded earlier that day from the VFR website;

“Application for Spouse of British citizen (based in thailand) going to the UK for a visit”.

“Application for social-visit (Thai Nationals)”.

I had downloaded both as I wasn’t sure which was relevant. Everything was covered anyway.

Neither stated that I had to photocopy EVERY page in my passport (mine is a 48page) with nothing after p12. – that’s 18 double pages of nothing. So…

Me = You want…(laughing) …all copies of nothing?

VFS Girl = UUHH YES.

Me = It didn’t say that on the form.

Then the rude bitch proceeds to shake a different form at me, and demands I get it done. If I could’ve seen the box at the bottom of it, for disclaimers - I would’ve taken that option, there and then – she didn’t know that either.

I refused and walked out, I should’ve thought about speaking to the supervisor but didn’t. Later I complained to UK embassy who sent me a standard, polite, but impersonal email.

“I am sorry that you were unhappy with the service you received when submitting her application. The Embassy aims to resolve the majority of visa applications without an interview. It is essential therefore that an applicant includes all supporting documents with their application.

The UK Visa Application Centre website provides a general list of those documents to help the Visa Officer consider the application. That checklist, prepared by the Embassy, includes a copy of the sponsor's passport. Evidence of travel to and from Thailand can assist the Visa Officer establish an on-going relationship. We will amend the checklist to clarify the requirement and explain to the application centre staff that only pages with stamps are required. I apologise for the inconvenience this misunderstanding has caused.

Thank you for taking the time to write. It is important to receive feedback if we are to improve the level of service we provide.”

OK, but we are not new to applying for visas. Just by looking in the passport this # # # could’ve seen there are 3 previous UK visas and also a Schengen visa.

I responded to the above email. This time I included the PDF forms I had downloaded earlier that day (the date and time would show in properties) from the VFS website and the hyperlinks leading to them – I did not receive any response from the Embassy this time.

Now

I live in Thailand, I have a house with her though not fully in my name.

I am on the Brits abroad list held by the embassy.

I have the letter of residence written by the British embassy.

I had included photocopies of Thai visas in MY old passport – to prove I have been here 3 ++ years. (which wasn’t requested).

I think I had more than enough evidence of an ongoing relationship etc.

I had to travel down from Si Satchanalia (where we live).

I also had a lot of other business I needed to attend to before returning.

Then I missed Friday’s session through these other appointments.

When I returned to re-submit (29-05-06), there is a queue of 21 before my number, it also tells me so on the ticket, there are only 3 of the application windows working, after 30mins or so, a 4th opened. Excluding the cashier and information.

I had been there 1 hour. The waiting list has gone down by 13. It seems anyone with a British companion was away in minutes.

There was a Thai woman completing her form – OR writing something at counter No 2. Also there was a Thai man doing the same at No 3.

On the first visit I had to complete the form BEFORE I was allocated a number. SO why aren’t they told to get another numbered ticket.

I am already annoyed because of their previous mistake. There is only 1 other farang in the room – he came in after me, so this is going to take ages I get up to complain.

I am told I will be seen next. Who sees me? No5 - the same girl as before, she flicks through the documentation. Then its PHOTOCOPY ALL OF YOUR PASSPORT.

No, I reply, it doesn’t have to be done.

She waves the same form as me as she waved previously, though now not so violently. This time there is a copy of it in the folder, with the disclaimer signed, stating reasons.

I tell her to stamp and sign in the box provided. She looks at it and says “No”. I repeat that she needs to sign it, again she won’t. So I tell her, I don’t want to deal with her anymore. Now I want to see the manager. She looked puzzled at that word, so I say supervisor, she understands this, apparently she is out. OK. Can I have your and their name then? No, we are not allowed to give them out.

I then tell her, I will go to a different counter and get it done there then, perhaps they can read English, I don’t think you can, you’re not clever enough to work in McDonalds!!! She looked shaken at this, then she showed her colleague who had been taking interest in all of this, she said, you have to sign it.

Done, its handed in. Time taken to hand in documentation, including arguing, 5mins.

On the way out I see two ladies dressed in the VFS uniform, I ask if one of them is she the manager or supervisor? I then ask if I need to photocopy all of my passport she says “No” I then tell her to instruct her personnel not to ask/demand it be done.

Internet tracking.

This does not seem to work either, type in passport no and receipt no THAA/123456/1234/01 as shown, and it returns to the same page.

I do this in uppercase then lowercase, with “strokes” try without. Perhaps I am doing it too early – but that’s what tracking is, isn’t it ???, so again the next day, then the next day …3. still NO-GO so phone. Yes its there, we can collect.

They saved the best for last. Collected from the information window, in under 5mins, no problems.

The Approved Visa now had the photographic image from the application scanned on it.

I would rather go to Wireless Rd, at least they had a TV, and a drinks machine in the compound.

I never felt or noticed the supposed tension in the air there.

I think the problem was, everyone needing to hand the submissions over to the guard before the cut-off time. If the hours had been more relaxed the flow would have eased.

Everybody needed to crowd in all at once, instead of over time, like at VFS.

There were only 3 windows working, each with an official and Thai translator to view claims – this official either accepted or rejected it there and then, or recalled for further interviewing.

So now they have outsourced it, I fail to see how VFS have made it more efficient, they have more staff to do the same work. OK the embassy official does not need to be at a window for submissions – but they still ultimately decide –now they can just sit in a comfy chair at a desk with coffee in the morning and tea in the afternoon.

OR have I got something terribly wrong?

At the same time for the Schengen (European) visa. You go to the appropriate embassy to submit an application.

The French embassy took 1 hour to wait in a queue (theres no numbered tickets) to hand the paperwork over to a Thai clerk, he checks through it, then it’s a weeks wait for approval.

Total Cost of visa 1,707 Bht. No argue No hassle.

Edited by 3NI9MA

Quote from posting above ;

" would rather go to Wireless Rd, at least they had a TV, and a drinks machine in the compound"

Quote from a recent complaint to UK Visas in London concerning a visit to the Bangkok Embassy :

" I returned to the Embassy with my wife and again was told I was not permitted to enter and was asked to wait in the street ( in case I was called for interview)

When I attemped to enter and join my wife inside, security threatened me that he would call a Ghurka guard with kukrit battle knife to throw me out, if I didnt leave the embassy compound immediately..

Not being certain he was not joking I left immediately to wait outside in the street which had little shade , no water , no public conveniences and was over 100 degrees F in the searing heat. Again although told to be on standby for an interview, I was not called"

Which reflects the truth accurately ?

Probably both as it was only in around June last year that the Embassy introduced its policy of allowing applicants only inside .

Edited by topfield

ONE FOR THE BOOKS

Quote two days ago from an outsourcing official checking the application form for a visit visa before submission.

" Sorry ,Madam, you cannot submit this application as a Family visitor and will have to re write the application."

"Why ", asked the applicant.

Reply : because you are applying to visit your husband and a husband is not family"

"Not family ? " said the applicant

Reply : No, Madam, for a family visit it must be from a relative and a husband is not a blood relation"

I was there on Monday to submit my wifes application. I travelled from Kanchanaburi armed with everything that the "checklist" stated. When I went to the office I thought while waiting I'd have a look around and spotted another checklist, it had about 5 extra items required that isnt on the downloaded one from the website.

This new checklist has been in force for about 2 weeks yet no sign of it on the VFS website, to put it mildy I wasnt very happy with the excuse/explanation they gave, basically saying it wasnt their fault.

To anyone travelling there from outside of BKK be warned, the VFS website doesnt carry the full list of requirements to apply for a spouse visit .The download checklist only has 9 points, the new list has 12

12889052_o.jpg

30 mins in and out. Staff very helpful and friendly. I found it an easy experience, except the photocopy the lot carry on!

All in all, very good service. Alot of people standing around with one form do not know what happened to them!

:o

ANOTHER INNOVATION BY THE OUTSOURCING CENTRE WHICH COULD CAUSE VERY SERIOUS INCONVENIENCE FOR THOSE HANDING IN AND COLLECTING VISAS & DOCUMENTS ON BEHALF OF FAMILY & FRIENDS UPCOUNTRY ETC

Under the Embassy system one received a receipt slip when submitting the application.

To retrieve the passport and docs on success one just went after 3pm to the 'hole in the wall' and were handed the passport and docs on handing over the official Embassy receipt.

The new outfit HAS CHANGED THE SYSTEM !

An official receipt is no longer sufficient. The person collecting the passport , even if the same person who handed in the application for their friend... must hand over in addition a signed letter of authorisation to release the passport & docs.

So if your friend has to return upcountry and wants the passport collected they should remember to leave behind the necessary signed authorisation as the official receipt alone is no longer acceptable.

Makes sense .....or not ?

Edited by topfield

All you people must understand one thing about this whole visa process. Despite all the wonderful government run websites (ukvisas, British Embassies , Home Office etc ) which say how much they welcome foreign visitors and how all you have to do is this and that, the truth in the real world for ordinary people is very different. EVERY visa is a hassle. There is no easy hassle free visa . Its just a matter of degree. From queueing up at the crack of dawn to the sponcer having to wait outside in the heat for hours , to the months of putting together telephone-book thick files of proof , the lottery of getting a rude or polite ECO , the list is endless.

In short , the reality of getting any kind of visa is that it is an unpleasant experience even if you get it in the end. It is NEVER without stress , hassle and worse. And thats just the tip of the iceberg if you get a refusal. Then your problems/hassle really start.

So there it is . Accept its an awful experience at best and live with the system or do something about changing it .

All you people must understand one thing about this whole visa process. Despite all the wonderful government run websites (ukvisas, British Embassies , Home Office etc ) which say how much they welcome foreign visitors and how all you have to do is this and that, the truth in the real world for ordinary people is very different. EVERY visa is a hassle. There is no easy hassle free visa . Its just a matter of degree. From queueing up at the crack of dawn to the sponcer having to wait outside in the heat for hours , to the months of putting together telephone-book thick files of proof , the lottery of getting a rude or polite ECO , the list is endless.

In short , the reality of getting any kind of visa is that it is an unpleasant experience even if you get it in the end. It is NEVER without stress , hassle and worse. And thats just the tip of the iceberg if you get a refusal. Then your problems/hassle really start.

So there it is . Accept its an awful experience at best and live with the system or do something about changing it .

Is there not an exception ? I was told that Brits get their Ozzie visa over the telephone or internet automatically.

Is that true ? Never tried it out so don't know from experience.

Is there not an exception ? I was told that Brits get their Ozzie visa over the telephone or internet automatically.

Is that true ? Never tried it out so don't know from experience.

Yes, but it costs a massive AUD$20 or GBP 8.00.

Might a bit too steep for you toppy. It sounds like another MASSIVE MASSIVE RIPOFF by a system run by another bunch of ungrateful ex colonials who think they can get uppity with the Brits.

I then tell her, I will go to a different counter and get it done there then, perhaps they can read English, I don’t think you can, you’re not clever enough to work in McDonalds!!!
You really know how to win friends and influence people, don't you!

Remember, the VFS staff cannot make any decisions about applications etc., that is all down to the ECOs at the embassy. The VFS staff can only work to the instructions and guidelines given to them by the embassy. If those instructions and guidelines are wrong, then vent you spleen on the embassy, not some poor clerk struggling to deal with an arrogant farang who thinks he's superior to her.

Atlastaname, my wife and thousands of others have successfully obtained a visa without any hassle or stress. But then, we prepared properly.

As to Topfield's continued rantings. I really cant be bothered with him anymore. He has been regularly shown to be posting rubbish, so it is up to readers if they want to believe him.

I then tell her, I will go to a different counter and get it done there then, perhaps they can read English, I don’t think you can, you’re not clever enough to work in McDonalds!!!

Remember, the VFS staff cannot make any decisions about applications etc., that is all down to the ECOs at the embassy. The VFS staff can only work to the instructions and guidelines given to them by the embassy. If those instructions and guidelines are wrong, then vent you spleen on the embassy, not some poor clerk struggling to deal with an arrogant farang who thinks he's superior to her.

Atlastaname, my wife and thousands of others have successfully obtained a visa without any hassle or stress. But then, we prepared properly.

As to Topfield's continued rantings. I really cant be bothered with him anymore. He has been regularly shown to be posting rubbish, so it is up to readers if they want to believe him.

Addressing GU22's point replying to mine,

If i recall GU22 you have stated here in the past that you and your wife got refused the first time , so are you now saying this left you feeling without any stress?? Seems too incredible to believe.!! As to the "thousands of others" , my point was that all visas that are successful (and yes mine was one of those successfull) are obtained with a lot of hassle and stress for the reasons i gave in my post .

Without drawing upon comparisons I find this to be in general the nearest to reality for the ' ordinary folk or in my words, those who have little or now't. Even being well prepared, covered all and truthful, there is no guarantee, convincing someone over such an high stake i would say is stressful in one way or other.

OUTSOURCING CENTRE JUST A TOOL OF THE EMBASSY or AN INDEPENDANT BUSINESS ?

It has been suggested that the Centre functions as just an agency of the Embassy carrying out regulations imposed on it from London and having no independance of its own .

However we should consider the facts by comparing Embassy methods with the Centre's methods.

One point becomes evident to somone with twenty years experience in dealing with the Embassy.

Under the old system they were a government service relying solely on fees set by parliament. No slot machines , expensive cafeteria etc to supplement their income !! ( joking of course but you get the point !)

In the short time the Centre has been operating it is clear that it is not a service organisation quango style but a full blooded commercial operation with the sole purpose of improving their profitability /balance sheet . Indeed this is in line with the goverments privatisation policy !

Examples : issuance of cheques at baht 35 and refusal to accept cash or cashiers cheques.

Ultra checking of photos submitted. One millimeter too large or a bluish tint in the background and you are sent to their photo machine min cost baht 220.

Double the normal application fee for applications submitted by post. Unnecessary copies even of blank pages are immediately picked up and you are directed to their own expensive copying machine....etc etc

Are all these profit making activities really mandated by the Embassy or is the Centre not able to alter and adjust its methods in line with commercial exigencies ?

If i recall GU22 you have stated here in the past that you and your wife got refused the first time , so are you now saying this left you feeling without any stress?? Seems too incredible to believe.!! As to the "thousands of others" , my point was that all visas that are successful (and yes mine was one of those successfull) are obtained with a lot of hassle and stress for the reasons i gave in my post .
Yes, my wife was refused a visit visa about 4 months before she got her settlement visa. Yes, we were upset, angry even.

I could have done what certain posters here seem to do. I could have got very angry; I could have run around telling all and sundry what <deleted> the ECOs are; I could have fired of letters to the Home Secretary, Prime Minister, my MP and God knows who else. Would it have got my wife a visa? NO!

What I did do was some research.

The first application was submitted with no preparation at all. We had sod all in the way of supporting evidence, and, with the benefit of hindsight, had I been the ECO I would have refused it.

Next time we prepared properly. We found out exactly what was required and made sure we had it. In fact we submitted more than was necessary. Result? Visa issued after a 5 minute interview!

Was it a hassle doing all this preparation? Not really. It required a lot of running around getting all the necessary documents, translations etc. It was a task, at times a tiresome task. But as the end result meant my wife and I could be together I would not say it was a hassle.

Stressful? I guess so. Maybe similar stress to taking one's final exams. Your whole future depends on getting it right, so there is obviously some stress. But that stress was eased by knowing we had done everything necessary to succeed.

I certainly agree with GU22 that there is no point, and indeed its very unfair, to take out ones anger on the VFS staff who are only following the onerous conditions laid down by the government. The pity is the govt makes it so unpleasant and stressful for Thais to apply and get visas of any description. But then when was life fair ??

If you find applying for a UK visa to be stressful, onerous, unpleasant and unfair, take a look at some of the posts from our American and Australian friends!

They must be wondering why some Brits kick up such a fuss when getting a UK visa is a doddle when compared to what they have to do.

True.

But my point being that applying for a UK visa is not stressful, onerous, unpleasant nor unfair. But if applicants and/or sponsors don't prepare properly, it can seem so.

Unfortunately, certain posters seem determined to convince people that it is all those things, for whatever petty motive. But the experience of the vast majority of the tens of thousands of successful applicants each year gives the lie to this negativity.

I totally agree with you about some people picking up on petty thing all the time.

However, even with preparation it can be stressful and I am just considering it - and I am not a person who normally gets stressed :D

As for onerous - well I am terrible at paperwork - ask my boss - and having to keep all my hotel bills of us together, phone cards etc is onerous to me especially as I work away from the UK and have to store things and move about.

My best pal certainly had a stressful time with the Home Office when he married his first wife. He had just started the FCO at the time and even his sister remarked to me it was the first time she had seen him like that.

I do not think his divorce from said woman was as stressful :o

He is getting married again next month but I bet its a breeze this time - she is American and his next posting is as a Deputy Ambassador.

Then again - its probably us putting ourselves through too much. Whenever my wife asks about visa's to various places I just say the company will sort it and if I decide to go back to the UK as long as get a job it should all be OK and we will do it ourselves.

I just have to sound positive to her and reassure her - a refusal would knock her end right in - maybe this type of thing causes the stress rather than the process itself.

But my point being that applying for a UK visa is not stressful, onerous, unpleasant nor unfair. But if applicants and/or sponsors don't prepare properly, it can seem so.

Applying for a visit visa - I would actually say it's better with the Americans... - they at least issue long visas. (10 years for my wife and mother-in-law).

Australia, on the other hand, is a paranoid basket-case. Yes, if you're British you can apply on-line over the internet, but in comparison with every other developed country, it's still more of a visa than you need to get as a tourist. Even then, you can have an issue if you're unfortunate and have the same name + date of birth as someone who's been expelled. In that case, your internet application is rejected (and of course, the fee isn't refunded), and you have to go to the embassy and apply in the old-fashioned way.

But - for a Thai visiting Oz - visit visas are 3 months. You want to go back again - it's another week of hassle getting another visa. Australia actually makes the UK look good.

(Aside: It's always Australian Visa fees that the UK immigration service compares their own visa fees with to make their own fees look cheap - odd that...)

Can you imagine if an American needed to fill in the same application to go to the UK as a tourist that a Thai has to, with the same background information required (bank statements etc.) - the UK would have no American tourists. Half of them couldn't be bothered with the hassle, and a lot would fail to show sufficient funds to support themselves (London's expensive and credit cards don't count!!!)

As for the UK visa process being unfair... - I've mentioned this before - my mother-in-law keeps applying for 10 year visas, and keeps getting 2 year visas. (They cost the same and last 8 years less - rip-off Britain at it's best).

Edited by bkk_mike

Can you imagine if an American needed to fill in the same application to go to the UK as a tourist that a Thai has to, with the same background information required (bank statements etc.) - the UK would have no American tourists. Half of them couldn't be bothered with the hassle, and a lot would fail to show sufficient funds to support themselves (London's expensive and credit cards don't count!!!)
A summer in the smoke with no Yanks? I wish! :o
As for the UK visa process being unfair... - I've mentioned this before - my mother-in-law keeps applying for 10 year visas, and keeps getting 2 year visas. (They cost the same and last 8 years less - rip-off Britain at it's best).
Have you done as suggested to you before; i.e. query this with the ECM and if no joy with UKVisas and your MP? From what you have said, there is no reason why she should not get a 10 year one.

True.

Unfortunately, certain posters seem determined to convince people that it is all those things, for whatever petty motive. But the experience of the vast majority of the tens of thousands of successful applicants each year gives the lie to this negativity.

Its certainly lovely when you get the visa and no-one is saying that tens of thousands a year aren't successful. But there is no doubt that it is all the things i previously suggested , and you only have to wade through the hundreds of threads here to see people going out of their head with worry about if their wife or girlfriend will get it or not. That is called stressful and hassle .Even when you are successful you have to go through weeks or months of hel_l preparing for an outcome that is not guaranteed however genuine your case may be.

Maybe the USA and Australian visas are even worse, but that wasn't my point was it ?

For those ex-pats living in Thailand and wondering what the weather's like here in the UK , well summer has finally arrived . Fantastic weather all this week and next by the look of it . :o

But there is no doubt that it is all the things i previously suggested , and you only have to wade through the hundreds of threads here to see people going out of their head with worry about if their wife or girlfriend will get it or not. That is called stressful and hassle .Even when you are successful you have to go through weeks or months of hel_l preparing for an outcome that is not guaranteed however genuine your case may be.
Many of posts are from people who have failed because of poor preparation or, more usually, unrealistic expectations. You know the sort; trying for a visit visa for a girl they've barfined for a couple of weeks!

Unfortunately, many also come from certain people who, for whatever reason, want to make the whole process seem difficult and almost impossible. It is the posts of these cretins that cause people to go "out of their head with worry about if their wife or girlfriend will get it or not."

There are also many posts from people expressing joy at their partner getting a visa, and sometimes surprise at how simple and easy the process actually was!

I'm not saying the system is perfect, far from it, and I have much sympathy for any genuine applicants who have been the victims of inefficiency or error by the visa section. But the fact remains that every year well over 90% of visa applications to the Bangkok embassy are successful, most without an interview (source).

Edited by GU22

Dear GU

Thank-you for responding….

This threads seems to of slightly deviated away from the original content.

Your original post was titled Uk Visa Outsourcing Centre, The reality.

The reality – how unfortunate, as it was not.

You seem to of got a little confused, are you old?.

I will type it slower for you. – my way of winning friends… but if they or you want to mis-quote me…

Here are some reality checks for you.

When you go there, share YOUR experiences and not somebody else’s. Comment then.

Mine, Topfields, kelv23, bkkmike, oblivious, bangkokblue et-al, were.

Perhaps you should have finished reading and digested what I wrote, to UNDERSTAND, before commenting. As all you allude to, is previously defined.

There was never some poor clerk struggling to deal with an arrogant farang who thinks he's superior to her.

1/. If she was struggling she should NOT be in that position, PERIOD. There are plenty of other under-grads about, if she’s that incapable.

2/. As English language (dare I say it…is of the business world) will be used there predominantly, written and orally. Surely this is a pre-requisite.

3/. Have I got this wrong and you were there, secretly hiding! And witnessed somebody else? As it sure wasn’t me, OOPS sorry my mistake! You have never been there.

I was not rude to her, I had no reason to be. I learnt early in business life, that it’s easier to get things done, and to a better standard, when you are pleasant.

The terminology often used is “man-management, tact and diplomacy”.

Though, generally, being nice is a way of life.

Previously, when I attended the office -she had shaken the form at me.

Any person shaking something in my face, I deem rude AND arrogant, SO that IS on HER BEHALF, not mine. Please look up the words shake – in every sense, I assume you have a dictionary to use. Anyway, it is simply not good manners, either. I walked out as I did not want to make a scene. I complained to the UK embassy.

My command of English is “A level”, and as a native speaker. So yes, I probably am superior to her in that respect, I do not know what standard hers, or yours is for that matter – obviously she did not know there was a disclaimer on the form, or what its usage was for, when OBVIOUSLY the other girl did, as did the supervisor. I had asked 5 times each getting a refusal for her to sign it, which tried my patience even further that day, this was before I suggested McD’s as alternative employment.

So struggling to deal with an arrogant farang PLEASE.

I had no hassle with the Thai clerk at the French embassy, he could speak Thai (natively) French and English.

Remember, the VFS staff cannot make any decisions about applications etc. , that is all down to the ECOs at the embassy.

Yes I do, that’s where I wrote about comparing VFS and efficiency.

So now they have outsourced it, I fail to see how VFS have made it more efficient, they have more staff to do the same work. OK the embassy official does not need to be at a window for submissions – but they still ultimately decide –now they can just sit in a comfy chair at a desk with coffee in the morning and tea in the afternoon.

The VFS staff can only work to the instructions and guidelines given to them by the embassy.

Correct

That is why I complained to no one in particular in my truthful account. That the forms that are downloadable from the VFS website are not the ones in use, something that Kelv23 also picked up on. The Embassy had obviously updated them. VFS had too, BUT NOT on their internet site – the place EVERYBODY gets referred to.

This girl had it there to shake, BUT NOT PASS – as I would’ve seen the disclaimer and used that. So GU, what would the most helpful? No reply necessary.

Then you prattle on in your way…

Atlastaname, my wife and thousands of others have successfully obtained a visa without any hassle or stress. But then, we prepared properly. The BIG ME AGAIN. YAWN.

GET REAL

YES GU, but when YOU attempt to muddy the water – like that, it doesn’t help matters.

I can empathise, with the guard post – I had a shitty jumped up power crazy one, w32ith a point to prove, refusing me access once, when I wanted to report my passport lost, …the section was open at the time, one phone call I am in.

Though, I don’t think it is in the guard’s powers to cause bodily harm.

I certainly agree with topfields 2006-06-09 01:10:56 post.

I for one would like to do a “set-up” to see if they still insist on the blank pages copied.

I think the accolade of “the Reality” thread, should go to Atlastanames 2006-06-08 18:04:04 post. Trying to convince someone, who does not always WANT to believe.

I suggest GU, that you go get a life, away from being the most frequent poster on behalf of VHS or have you connections?

Certainly, don’t try to make any more comments to me, to attempt to justify yourself.

I put this matter between us to a closure now.

The following is an account of a visit to the outsourcing centre on May 12th., taken from another website with the authors permission.

* and my good self went to hand in her UK Settlement Visa application today at the new VFS office at Rajadmri. I thought I’d write down a brief outline of what took place as that’s the sort of thing I would have liked to have read before I went. Sorry if I’m stating the obvious at times;

The home of VFS, Regent House, is located to the South-East of the BTS station on Rajadamri Road, after the posh hotels but before the Cambodian Embassy (it is clearly marked in big red letters at the top of the building). Car parking space seemed limited.

We arrived at 8 am and were last in a queue of about 20. Minutes after we got there a VFS employee showed up and told us all to get in line – first come first served. Then we all crocodiled up to the 2nd floor, entered the VFS office, took a ticket and then a seat. We were asked to switch off our mobile phones. The office has a dentist’s waiting room feel – too bright and clinical with warnings on the wall ‘make sure you filled in this form; make sure you didn’t forget to bring that letter’ Aaaggghhh!

There are 10 service counters in total; 1 for the cashier, 1 for information and 8 for applications.

You can also access;

a photocopier(3 Baht per page)

photo machine(4 for 250 Baht)

banker’s drafts facility(+ 35 Baht for our 18,200 Baht S/V fee)

translation services

a cash machine back on the ground floor just inside the entrance to the building

tea/coffee etc.

By 8.15 staff were walking around checking applicants’ documents. The lady that came to see us seemed half asleep and, indeed, didn’t spot the discrepancies in our application that materialised later.

All 10 counters opened at 8.30 sharp and people were being dealt with quickly. Me and * were handing in our application at 8.40. Here’s what I know;

It MUST MUST MUST be a banker’s draft and not a cashier’s cheque. I went to my local Bangkok Bank yesterday and asked for a banker’s draft (I even had * write it in Thai which I handed to the cashier) and she gave me a cashier’s cheque and assured me that they were one and the same – not so. The good news is you can buy banker’s drafts at VFS.

There was also a minor glitch because I didn’t have EVERY (including the blank pages) of my British passport photocopied. (* only needed the used pages of her old and new Thai passport copied).

I chatted briefly with an (I think) Indian guy who works there. He said that he’d been there form the start and things were initially very hectic – teething problems of a new office, coupled with the fallout of the Songkran holiday and changeover of offices backlog. Now things have apparently calmed down a lot and waiting times are down to around 20/30 mins.

One more thing; while I was there I overheard two couples walking out grumbling about not having a TB Certificate – be warned!

On the whole the staff were professional, cheerful and efficient. Me and * had thought it would take the best part of the day (we were armed with books, magazines, snacks etc.) but we were done by 9 am.

All we have to do now is wait 15 days to see if she got the visa – fingers crossed!

Then on 18th May he posted
We handed our application in last Friday and we picked up * passport this afternoon - complete with pretty S/V sticker

Having been to VFS three times in the last month i found this report accurate. One must point out. you better be there when opening ...if you show up at 10 am...you'll have a long wait. One thing missing...there is really nothing else you can do there...except waiting in that Room

rcm :o

Certainly, don’t try to make any more comments to me, to attempt to justify yourself..
I do not have to justify anything, unlike you apparently.
I put this matter between us to a closure now.
Good.