British police plan to arrest three burglars in Madeleine McCann case: UK report

webfact

British police plan to arrest three burglars in Madeleine McCann case, according to UK report

Nick Miller

Europe Correspondent

LONDON: -- British police plan to arrest three burglars who made many phone calls after the disappearance of Madeleine McCann in Portugal in 2007, a British newspaper has reported.

The Mirror says the Crown Prosecution Service last week sent an official request to Portuguese police asking permission to arrest the trio, who reportedly raided other holiday flats at the Praia da Luz resort where the three-year old was on holiday with her parents.

It is the second International Letter of Request from Scotland Yard, after an earlier letter requesting mobile phone data.

No formal arrests have ever been made in the hunt for Madeleine, though local police named several formal suspects who were later cleared.

The Met set up Operation Grange in 2011 to review the case, after pleas from Madeleines parents Kate and Gerry who believed Portuguese police had not fully investigated the case.

Full story: http://www.smh.com.au/world/british-police-plan-to-arrest-three-burglars-in-madeleine-mccann-case-according-to-uk-report-20140114-hv8au.html

-- The Sydney Morning Herald 2014-01-14

Maybe the Thai police could learn a thing or two of how a real police force operates.

So long as nobody mentions the phone hacking scandal that engulfed the Met after they had originally said there was no evidence to support any wide spread hacking.

Maybe the Thai police could learn a thing or two of how a real police force operates.

Heaven help us if Thai police use them as models.

The Macpherson Report of the Stephen Lawrence inquiry contains a number of criticisms of the Metropolitan Police.

The points it makes about London's police include the following comments:

• "The investigation was marred by a combination of professional incompetence, institutional racism and a failure of leadership by senior officers."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/285569.stm

An overpaid and incompetent police Sir Brian Leveson, in his recent report on press excesses, was naive enough to acquit the Metropolitan Police of anything worse than incompetence in conducting its abortive 2007 inquiries into phone-hacking at the News of the World. But other informed people take a bleaker view, recalling the astonishing parade of serving and former senior officers who attended Rupert Murdoch’s parties.

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/5d8877da-4a0d-11e2-a7b1-00144feab49a.html#axzz2qKp10DNd

post-145917-0-56089300-1389666619_thumb.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Wow, leaked information, sexual texts, shoplifting. I don't think these would make the local paper if they happened in the average Thai town. Rape and blackmail just might.

I'm not really a great fan of the British police but they are a shining beacon of integrity compared with some.

• Like 1

Well as this case is almost 7 year going.....a silly remark from u.

The police can only act on the information they receive and the forensic evidence with the cooperation of the local police. Not every case can be solved. As the police haven't given up and will never give up I think its your remark that is silly.

• Like 1

The "real police force" referred to being the British one, not the Portuguese.

The Portuguese police refused any help from the British police for many of those 7 years and the British police have only very recently become involved.

Have a close look at the case. Somewhat less than competent original investigation. Now making good progress despite the complexities associated with investigating an old case in a foreign jurisdiction,

Or perhaps you think the RTP are of such a high standard they don't need to learn anything? After all the MPS never caught Jack the Ripper.

I don't think poisonus's remark silly. However, you may wish to think more about yours.

• Like 1

Heaven help us if Thai police use them as models.

The Macpherson Report of the Stephen Lawrence inquiry contains a number of criticisms of the Metropolitan Police.

The points it makes about London's police include the following comments:

• "The investigation was marred by a combination of professional incompetence, institutional racism and a failure of leadership by senior officers."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/285569.stm

An overpaid and incompetent police Sir Brian Leveson, in his recent report on press excesses, was naive enough to acquit the Metropolitan Police of anything worse than incompetence in conducting its abortive 2007 inquiries into phone-hacking at the News of the World. But other informed people take a bleaker view, recalling the astonishing parade of serving and former senior officers who attended Rupert Murdoch’s parties.

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/5d8877da-4a0d-11e2-a7b1-00144feab49a.html#axzz2qKp10DNd

Appreciate your national pride is at stake, protecting that bastion of law enforcement the RTP, but be realistic.

In cases involving farangs or poor Thais, you would be lucky with 7 minutes from the Thai police.

Why on earth is this story on ThaiVisa ???????

Where is the connection?

if you are going to report this story, then why not report 1,000 more irrelevant stories.

PS: I seriously hope that NO ONE takes any lessons from the British Police. they are brutal, thuggish, racist, clumsy and rude.

At least the Thai police smile and chat with you when you smile at them!! Try smiling at a UK policeman... They will search you for drugs or something!!

Wow, leaked information, sexual texts, shoplifting. I don't think these would make the local paper if they happened in the average Thai town. Rape and blackmail just might.

I'm not really a great fan of the British police but they are a shining beacon of integrity compared with some.

And corrupt and inept compared to others.

Edited by HerbalEd

And corrupt and inept compared to others.

Such as?

Genuine question.

Why on earth is this story on ThaiVisa ???????

Where is the connection?

if you are going to report this story, then why not report 1,000 more irrelevant stories.

PS: I seriously hope that NO ONE takes any lessons from the British Police. they are brutal, thuggish, racist, clumsy and rude.

At least the Thai police smile and chat with you when you smile at them!! Try smiling at a UK policeman... They will search you for drugs or something!!

Try smiling at a British policeman???? Try smiling at any British person, except those in small villages like where I come from, and you will get the same response "What f'ck you smiling at me for? Are you gay mate?"

As for you comment other comments about the British police I think that they are probably based upon your own experiences, and probably result from your lifestyle.

Absolutely not. I have not had ANY run-ins with the police. I am a happy nice person.

But I have DEFINITELY seen police act rude, arrogant, nasty, and racist towards other people.

Maybe its just London and from what I saw. but seriously, I have seen police abusing their power way way way too much.

besides the point... my MAIN question was why on earth this story about some buglers is on ThaiVisa??? I cant see any relevance to us here in Thailand.

There's tonnes of similar stories all around the world each year... so why has Thai Visa reported this one ?

easybullet3, on 14 Jan 2014 - 19:14, said:easybullet3, on 14 Jan 2014 - 19:14, said:

I cant see any relevance to us here in Thailand.

There's certainly a relevance to those of us here in the UK and I'm sure the UK Thai Visa audience is at least equal in numbers to that of UK expats.

I'd much prefer future news report that the police find the girl alive but her parents', I'm sure, would be grateful for any news.

Edited by wooloomooloo

Yes 7 years going and they still haven't given up, the Thai police usually last a week on a case and their work is consistently shoddy compared to international standards.

The Thai police would have arrested the local Burmese fisherman and had the case solved in a day

Brit detectives are generally pretty darn good. They see things that other police inspectors probably wouldn't see as clues. More importantly, they pursue clues that inspectors from other countries would scoff at as insignificant. The US, the French, and some other western European standards of investigations are similarly quite good.

On the other end of the spectrum are Thai and many other Asian inspectors - who neither recognize certain things/behavior as clues, and even if they do, are not often graced with the alacrity to pursue leads diligently.

What do the Thai police have to do with this subject? It is between the UK and Portugal and has absolutely nothing to do with the Thai police.

To the other poster so confused to find world news items on a world news thread, my suggestion is to stop reading the world news forum. Problem solved.

• Like 1

What do the Thai police have to do with this subject? It is between the UK and Portugal and has absolutely nothing to do with the Thai police.

Yes, it's focused on Brits and Portuguese. But the Brit detectives noticing and acting upon the phone records of suspects - is the type of investigative insights you wouldn't see elsewhere.

Those of us who reside in Thailand WANT TO SEE THAI DETECTIVES DO A GOOD JOB. That's why we comment on lax standards seen here in Thailand. There are a plethora of cases where Thai detectives did little or nothing to pursue leads. When we read about overseas detectives doing their jobs effectively, it's a reminder of how inept local detectives are. Sorry if that irks you, but it's the way the cookie crumbles.