Driving into Lumpinee

Pete Beale

I live on SalaDaeng and can see Lumpini Park from my patio. Basically Silom Road is closed from SalaDaeng to Rama IV. Rama IV is closed but I cannot tell how far in either direction as the view is blocked. Ratchadamri is closed as far as I can see which looks to be at least as far as the park goes. I haven't ventured far out so I don't know what's happening on Wireless road on the other side or Sarasin Alley at the back of the park. The protesters have been in the streets and park since yesterday, not as many today it seemed. The SalaDaeng BTS looks busy but not overwhelmed like it was a month ago.

• Like 1

Ok thanks.

Unfortunately I don't have the option of going straight to Loei. Got an appointment at the German Embassy for my other half's Schengen application.

Yesterday afternoon the road and intersections from Rama IV to wireless road and all of wireless road were open without much traffic

• Like 1

I live high in the sky overlooking all Lumpini Park, Sathorn and Silom. As the previous poster said, it is all totally normal.

If you want a verysafe and inexpensive car park, try 123 Parking in Sathorn Soi 1. I can give precise details if you need them.

Just to confirm now 13:50 Weds, and all totally normal.

• Like 1

LUMPINI PARK UPDATE - 18:00 15.Jan.2013

Just had daily 2 hour walk around Lumpini Park.

The amount of tents has grown dramatically to a few thousand. An almost carnival atmosphere persists inside with Thais offering me free food and drinks. 90% of the cars parked inside Lumpini are from Surat Thani. The others are from Nakhon Si Thammarat. Loads of noise coming from the stage located just outside the park as to be expected. Came across a group of men dressed in black T shirts, black headscarfs and armbands who were openly wearing sidearms. Later, came across a tent being watched over by a few balaclava and bulletproof vest wearing men with a 'no photo' sign attached to it. Walking past a few times and watching the wind blow it open slightly, looks like an armoury in there.

They are continuing to try to block Rama 4 Road at the junction with North Sathorn Road, but I witnessed cars stopping and drivers pushing aside sandbags and continuing. Also saw a few pickups just driving over the extremely low level 'block' (1 sandbag).