Best tasting thai fish?

MrHammer

As it says, what is the best tasting thai fish?

I enjoy sushi, smoked salmon, trout, the various kind of 'flat' fish such as plaice, but never got around to tasting much of the local thai fish besides some barbecued freshwater fish I don't know the name off.

Are there any thai fish that can compare in taste to the ones I mentioned and how would you prepare them?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I love eating hoi, i get pretty messy with it."

I do hope that you realize how innapropriate that is.

Never say that in front of thai people.

Be specific when saying Hoi lai-small thin clams, hoi mangpu green muscles,

Don't ever just say hoi. if you don't know it is slang for a part of the female anatomy.

I said it once while teaching and my students nearly died laughing.

• Like 2

"I love eating hoi, i get pretty messy with it."

I do hope that you realize how innapropriate that is.

Never say that in front of thai people.

Be specific when saying Hoi lai-small thin clams, hoi mangpu green muscles,

Don't ever just say hoi. if you don't know it is slang for a part of the female anatomy.

I said it once while teaching and my students nearly died laughing.

oMG ...did i say that?

actually the Hoi lai are good, but I prefer Hoi Yai.

Thai people, by the way, do have a sense of humor....do not let it get to ya.

Heard police, business ladies, aunts, grand mothers, grand dads... make jokes while they eat.

its more common than you think.

• Like 1

Being from the southern part of the US, I love fried catfish. We cooked small ones, much like you see at the local markets. I have often wondered how the local catfish here would be skinned and fried with coenmeal and hushpuppies.

Terrible, I have tried it.

Pla Duke is almost tolerable cooked the Southern USA way.

The rest not worth it.

I'm addicted to gravlax, eat it almost daily. We always seem to have a slab of salmon marinating, I prefer it over smoked salmon as I can slice it any thickness I'm in the mood for, it's cheap to make and once you get your own recipe I think you'll be pleased based on the fish you mentioned.

Lots of recipes out there but I like beet root for colour and flavour & dill with the salt/sugar curing mix. There isn't any need for alcohol - try a small tail piece to test and create your own with different herbs and spices. My inlaws enjoy lime slices & chilli to take it up a notch. One thing we do after the 24-48 cure is rinse or soak in water to remove the salt then we leave in the fridge to air dry for a day, but it usually doesn't last that long :)

If you buy a full filet, another nice way to do salmon is cut a few filets and wrap in Parma ham and bake, use the tail piece for gravlax.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nBnMshiQya0

Pla Nin is excellent; I think my favorite is Jaramet, followed by Samlii and then Tap Tim...Nin goes in there somewhere too, not sure exactly where! What's great about Samlii is that the bones are so small, you can just eat them along with everything else...especially when it's been fried nice and crispy.

Being from the southern part of the US, I love fried catfish. We cooked small ones, much like you see at the local markets. I have often wondered how the local catfish here would be skinned and fried with coenmeal and hushpuppies.

Terrible, I have tried it.

Pla Duke is almost tolerable cooked the Southern USA way.

The rest not worth it.

Plaa Duk is best eaten in Thailand in Laab...it's not that great grilled, but excellent in a good Laab.

Snapper is a wonderful fish so long as it is not over cooked which is often the case. I prefer it steamed myself.

Sea Bass and Bream are also great but like snapper, cannot be considered Thai fish.

The missus does an excellent job of red snapper & tamarind sauce, one of my favourites

• Like 1

ocassionally thai fish are ok but generally they taste of the dirty water they come from, you really need fish from well off shore before the taste gets any good, With all the chemicals and rubbish they dump in the water its hard to find nice tasting ones but that is just my opinion.

• Like 1