Timing belt & Clutch on a Diesel pickup

Steps

This will be the first of a few topics regarding the second hand Mazda Fighter 2.5 turbo diesel that i have just bought.

1. I was wondering first if this pickup even has a timing belt or a chain?
  2. If it is a timing belt, then how often would this require changing?
  3. the pickup has 136,000 on the meter. Is this miles or KM? The speedometer is in KMPH
  4. How long would the clutch last, aproximately? This pickup has been used on some steep hills over the last 4 years so i am wondering if i should just go ahead and change it for piece of mind.

Thank you

1. Replace at 100,000km. If it has dealer service history, they can tell you.

3. 136,000 km. Overdue for a timing belt if it hasn't been changed.

4. Is the clutch slipping? Apply the parking brake and try to pull away. If it stalls, the clutch is ok.

But at 136,000 km the clutch is probably coming to the end of its serviceable life.

"2. I was wondering first if this pickup even has a timing belt or a chain" facepalm.gif

Yes it has a belt. Rubber bands were discontinued post WWII whistling.gif

"3. the pickup has 136,000 on the meter. Is this miles or KM? The speedometer is in KMPH" facepalm.gif

Make sure you've pushed the reset button on the speedo as this may in fact just be the "trip meter" you're looking at and could just be the last trip as opposed to the total distance covered. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

4. Is the clutch slipping? Apply the parking brake and try to pull away. If it stalls, the clutch is ok.

But at 136,000 km the clutch is probably coming to the end of its serviceable life.

Hi,

It dosent have service history with it so i will need to speak to the ex-owner again to see if he ever replaced it. The clutch is not slipping but i wanted to maybe replace it if anyone knew that at this kind of mileage it would have already been replaced (which i assumed) and was maybe due for another replacement. I spoke to the owner the ex-owner the other day and he said he had it replaced about 9 months ago so happy days!!

Would you know how many KM this engine would run for if serviced regularly?

Thank you

Hi,

It dosent have service history with it so i will need to speak to the ex-owner again to see if he ever replaced it. The clutch is not slipping but i wanted to maybe replace it if anyone knew that at this kind of mileage it would have already been replaced (which i assumed) and was maybe due for another replacement. I spoke to the owner the ex-owner the other day and he said he had it replaced about 9 months ago so happy days!!

Would you know how many KM this engine would run for if serviced regularly?

Thank you

OP - I'm attaching links that will provide you with two things:

Firstly, a link so that you can download the Owners Manual for your car (it's called a Ford Ranger in NZ and the USA, but it's the same vehicle as a Mazda Fighter). Download it and most of your servicing questions will be answered. http://justgivemethedamnmanual.com/ford/ford-ranger-owners-manuals/

Secondly, a link to a Vehicle Maintenance 101 site where you can learn all about vehicle maintenance. http://www.carbibles.com/ This site is a bit comprehensive, so you may want to google alternatives. If you go to youtube you'll find instructional videos on everything from how to put air in your tyres and change the oil and spark plugs, up to how to fit twin overhead foxtails to the aerial. Umm...as yours is a diesel, don't spend too long looking for the spark plugs. smile.png

A clutch can be demolished from new in 3 minutes if somebody tries hard enough, or treated respectfully can last well over 200,000 klms. It kind of depends how often you change gear and how much you slip the clutch.

And finally, nobody knows how long your engine will last. It might blow up tomorrow or still be running perfectly at 500,000 klms. It depends on so many factors. But assuming you treat it right, the body will probably rust away before the engine gives up the ghost. smile.png

Happy reading on what would appear to be your first venture into vehicle maintenance.

• Like 1

I would not change the clutch out until it is worn out and stats slipping.

Depending on how it is driven, the clutch can last a long time.

If it has a timing belt, and I did not have a record of when it was changed, I would change it.

If it has a chain, I donut know that it requires changing. Check your maintenance schedule.

The previous generation Ford - Mazda pickups use a timing belt. Scheduled replacement is 120,000 km for the later common rail engine and 100,000 km for the earlier engine.

Steps, there is a Mazda BT50 Service Training manual at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3j8m0wqv3rjyyb7/TUUF3E8Wt5

It's the 7.6MB file (incorrectly) titled Ford Ranger Service Manual. Some interesting details and a Maintenance schedule in English.

Don't take the info on the inter-web too literally. There are some different spec Rangers for different markets, particularly the US.