How I explain sailing to my friends

bazmlb

clap2.gif Defintition of Ocean Racing " Standing in a freezing cold shower in your Rain Coat being violently ill whilst tearing up 100 dollar bills " ....... LOVE IT !! SAIL ON !!!!!...... thumbsup.gif

Yep, now I just go sail other peoples yachts, a lot cheaper.

• Like 1

clap2.gif Defintition of Ocean Racing " Standing in a freezing cold shower in your Rain Coat being violently ill whilst tearing up 100 dollar bills " ....... LOVE IT !! SAIL ON !!!!!...... thumbsup.gif

This caught my eye, have sold all my boats, power and sail, now i really do miss sailing, i live in Issan region but i'm planning a move to be near the water,, could you give me any advice as how to crew, help, or otherwise be on someone elses boat, i have sailed all over the world and yes in all weather, been under water, saw the light but came out alive (never again i said) but here i am, salt water for blood i suppose,, miss it terribly, won't miss the rice paddies though.

Thank you for your advice.

• Like 2

This caught my eye, have sold all my boats, power and sail, now i really do miss sailing, i live in Issan region but i'm planning a move to be near the water,, could you give me any advice as how to crew, help, or otherwise be on someone elses boat, i have sailed all over the world and yes in all weather, been under water, saw the light but came out alive (never again i said) but here i am, salt water for blood i suppose,, miss it terribly, won't miss the rice paddies though.

If you come down Pattaya way there is some sailing to be had http://www.omycsailing.com/ also some dinghy sailing via http://varuna.org/ .

Also the PATTAYA CITY EXPATS CLUB have a group who regularly charter out of Phuket. Nothing to stop you getting in touch and joining a charter from Issan.

Edited by GordonP
  • Like 1

clap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gif alt=clap2.gif pagespeed_url_hash=892957568 width=31 height=25> Defintition of Ocean Racing " Standing in a freezing cold shower in your Rain Coat being violently ill whilst tearing up 100 dollar bills " ....... LOVE IT !! SAIL ON !!!!!...... thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif alt=thumbsup.gif pagespeed_url_hash=1443177670 width=25 height=19>

Tell me more, by PM if you wish...might have a boat in 2 years if interested and will want some assistance from an experienced crew member....idea would be to simply keep in touch in case opportunity arises.

Tell me more, by PM if you wish...might have a boat in 2 years if interested and will want some assistance from an experienced crew member....idea would be to simply keep in touch in case opportunity arises.

Maybe i should start a pinned topic, those looking to crew and those looking for crew, as well as Yachting events, Kings cup, Top of the gulf, Phuket Regatta, Samui Regatta, Koh Chang Regatta.

Thoughts?

Maybe i should start a pinned topic, those looking to crew and those looking for crew, as well as Yachting events, Kings cup, Top of the gulf, Phuket Regatta, Samui Regatta, Koh Chang Regatta.

Thoughts?

Excellent Idea !! thumbsup.gif

whistling.gif As a friend once told me the difference between a house and a sailboat is this:

A house is a hole in the ground which your money is spent on to keep it from falling down into the hole.

A sailboat is the same thing, but it's not in a hole in the ground.

it's a hole in the ocean and you must spend money on it to keep it from sinking into the ocean.

Otherwise they are basically the same thing.

Thoughts?

Yacht Regattas 2014

Thoughts?

Yacht Regattas 2014

I know they are always looking for crew at the Top of the Gulf regatta here in Pattaya, as well as during the many club races they have there. Great fun.

Thoughts?

Yacht Regattas 2014

I've sailed n all of those regattas except for Koh Chang Regatta...whats that?

BOAT is actually an acronym for Bring Out Another Thousand! This is especially the case if one has to employ marine engineers and pay marina fees. A boat that can be trailered and kept at home saves an enormous amount of money. The chief snag with this method is preventing the car and trailer from being stolen whilst one is on the boat. Another snag is the risk of getting a parking ticket. The number one good idea is to JOIN A BOAT CLUB! The fees will be a fraction of those that marinas charge and usually the club members will all look out for one another.

In some countries where the gap between rich and poor is incredibly enormous, yachtsmen will NEED to use a marina. One marina that I heard about had electrified razor wire that had so much voltage on it that it hummed. The marina allegedly also had armed guards with shotguns and AK47s to keep out the riff-raff. Allegedly one thief swam in and tried to steal a dinghy but instead he got his arm blown-off. The guards at places like that are not to be trifled with! According to "Captain Bligh" this marina was in South America. Take care!

I go sailing out of OMYC about once a month.Always good to find like minded sailboat people to join.Not into racing or anything too strenuous. If any interest plus package me.cheers

Smartphone my a....meant to say pm me.

• 2 weeks later...

I go sailing out of OMYC about once a month.Always good to find like minded sailboat people to join.Not into racing or anything too strenuous. If any interest plus package me.cheers

Smartphone my a....meant to say pm me.

Rum good eh....how do you get 'plus package' out of PM ?