Cha Rom ?

swissie

We have a small plot of Ch-om,my misses looks after it ,we put in 100 plants 3 years ago ,3 weeks after, floods big time left us with about 50 plants,it likes light land

best,it dose grow on our heavier land,we put on some NPK + some manure, is not an easy crop to manage , the new shoots have to be cut on time, or they soon get

old ,and can not be sold. We have found it soon" gets way" then it has to be chopped right back , but it soon comes back again, if it can be watered and fed all the the year, it will produce all the year.

This year, the guy who brouhgt our bamboo, also brought our ch-om, the misses just put it in a bag weighted it and sold it, once she sorted it ,put it in a pice of split

banana tree trunk, very Rip -Roy,sold it to a middle man got a good price , but a lot of work ,last year got 40 bart /kg ,in the bag ,in the split banana trunk 10 bart each ,works out at about 60 bart /kg.

So far we have not made a lot on the ch-om, I have threatened to get rid of of it and grow grass for the cattle ,but as the misses said if we had some more time,some thing we do not have a lot of, get some water laid on for the dry season we could do ok.

If they are fed and watered ,and managed right the plants will last up 8-10 years. Thai Google has a lot on ch -om,or ชะอม in Thai.

Yours Regs.

KS

We have a small plot of Ch-om,my misses looks after it ,we put in 100 plants 3 years ago ,3 weeks after, floods big time left us with about 50 plants,it likes light land

best,it dose grow on our heavier land,we put on some NPK + some manure, is not an easy crop to manage , the new shoots have to be cut on time, or they soon get

old ,and can not be sold. We have found it soon" gets way" then it has to be chopped right back , but it soon comes back again, if it can be watered and fed all the the year, it will produce all the year.

This year, the guy who brouhgt our bamboo, also brought our ch-om, the misses just put it in a bag weighted it and sold it, once she sorted it ,put it in a pice of split

banana tree trunk, very Rip -Roy,sold it to a middle man got a good price , but a lot of work ,last year got 40 bart /kg ,in the bag ,in the split banana trunk 10 bart each ,works out at about 60 bart /kg.

So far we have not made a lot on the ch-om, I have threatened to get rid of of it and grow grass for the cattle ,but as the misses said if we had some more time,some thing we do not have a lot of, get some water laid on for the dry season we could do ok.

If they are fed and watered ,and managed right the plants will last up 8-10 years. Thai Google has a lot on ch -om,or ชะอม in Thai.

Yours Regs.

KS

Thanks for Info. Not an "easy" plant, I gather. True or false: Although price per kilo is high, Thai's don't bother too much with it, due to "harvesting-problems" = Thorns ! ?

Thanks & cheers.

It grows pretty good around here. It is more expensive in the dry season as you have to give them water. They do take a lot of work to sell, but a small patch can do a lot for a poor rural family. They definitely have thorns.

It grows pretty good around here. It is more expensive in the dry season as you have to give them water. They do take a lot of work to sell, but a small patch can do a lot for a poor rural family. They definitely have thorns.

Just asked her in doors what we have - Cha ohm.

Hello All, my wife had it planted(100 plants) in her rows of Mex chilies,

it has thorns!

rice555

Acacia pennata subsp. insuavis (common name cha-om) is one of thirteen Acacia species native to Thailand. This thorny multipurpose shrub or small tree up to 5 m tall grows extensively throughout the country in homestead. However, small plantations for commercial harvest of edible leaves can be also found.

The stem is thorny. Young branches are pubescent, green in colour and turn brown with age. A large gland is present on the main rachis of leaves above the middle of the petiole. Leaves are bipinnate, pinnae 8-18 pairs; pinnules linear-oblong, glabrous, base oblique or truncate, up to 50 pairs per pinna, ciliate on the margins loosely set and overlapping. Flowers are in large terminal panicles, heads globose and pale yellow. The pods are thin, flat and long with thick sutures.

Young leaves, though having a very strong smell, are an important food source for Thai people. Each 100 g of fresh leaves contains: 57 kilocalories, 5.7 g fibre, 58 mg calcium, 80 mg phosphorus, 4.1 mg iron, 10066 IU vitamin A, 0.05 mg vitamin B1, 0.24 mg vitamin B2, 1.5 mg Niazin and 58 mg vitamin C.

I don't think it is the harvesting problems as my wife wears gloves. You have to harvest (cut the tender shoots every few days) and it is time consuming......you have to sell immediately (less than 24 hours or so)......almost impossible to wholesale a very large quantity (my wife's aunt works the market ad will never buy more than 2 kg) as it still has to be sorted into the small amounts described earlier .......it is more a spice than a dish and so only a small amount is ever needed. It is very common to have a couple of plants along a fence for home use or to share with near by family. It won't send up new shoots if it isn't watered regularly so it is very cheap in the rainy season and needs water in the dry season.

My wife said the type without thorns doesn't taste as good. When I called her the second time to find out about the thorns I found that she thought my first call was because I wanted her to plant a bunch behind my house......man I gotta be careful what I ask my wife about.

Yours Regs.

KS

Thanks for Info. Not an "easy" plant, I gather. True or false: Although price per kilo is high, Thai's don't bother too much with it, due to "harvesting-problems" = Thorns ! ?

Thanks & cheers.