Evidence Of Farang's Work For Marriage Regn Ampher

Farang marries Thai at Ampher (district office) ... what evidence of work / income / savings is required, if any? Do Thai men need to supply this too?

If marriage takes place in the UK instead, no evidence of work status is required, right?

You must obtain paperwork from your Embassy in Thailand; fill out and have made official; have translated into Thai by a registered translator; have recorded at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (official international legal document) and present this to the District Office before you will be allowed to marry here in Thailand. Your Embassy will determine what is required as to income/work/proof so check their web site or contact them for that information.

Remember that marriage and visas are two very different items. You could end up married and apart if everything is not done by the numbers.

Farang marries Thai at Ampher (district office) ... what evidence of work / income / savings is required, if any?  Do Thai men need to supply this too?

If marriage takes place in the UK instead, no evidence of work status is required, right?

It sounds like you are confusing the Type O visa and registering the marriage along with a bit of Farang paranoia.

To register your marriage evidence of work / income / savings is not required. What is required is a document from your embassy certifying your eligibly to marry, specifically that you are not already married. In the case of the US Embassy this is an affidavit you sign and they notarise, no proof required other then your word.

TH

Dont' forget that the "single certificate" that you get from your embassy needs to be translated into Thai by a certified translator.

Also, they'll want a copy of the first page of your passport and your current visa. It's probably a good idea to have multiple copies of everything, I had to run across the street to make extra copies of my passport and Visa.

here we go again with the certified translator. You can translate it yourself. If you ask me your wife will do a better job.

For translations to be registered at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs as a legal document, as this must be, the translator, or the person signing as translator, has to be on their list AFAIK.

trevor, what you are asking is a requirement for the Brittish Embassy on behalf of the Thai government, when you are REGISTERING the marriage in Thailand, so that the marriage may then be registered in the UK. After getting married here and doing all the appropriate paperwork, the embassy will send your stuff through to the GRO in UK. (Note for Aussies......our embassy does not offer this service)

You are required to show proof of earnings as part of your paperwork. The company I work for provides a service for people who come to Thailand on holidays and take up the wedding packages offered by some hotels. Many of the people come from the UK and we help them register their marriage before they do the ceremony. ( this is not offered to the public....only through our overseas agents)

If you do not wish to register the marriage then no problem. Just go through the wedding process with out doing all the paperwork. However you cannot have this recognised in the UK as it is not official here in Thailand.

Lop,

I went through the excerice recently and like you thought that the translation had to be notorised. I got my lawyer to do it but he forgot to sign it. When I went to the Foreign Affairs Department to have them authenticate the translation, they just asked my girlfriend (wife to be) to sign her name as the translator.

Funnily enough she didn't agree totally witht the translation but the FA department took her signature, my document processeed it and mailed it back to me within a couple of days.

:o

When I went to the Foreign Affairs Department to have them authenticate the translation, they just asked my girlfriend (wife to be) to sign her name as the translator.

I did not think it had to be notarized (there is no such thing here) but it used to have to be signed (certified) by legal translators who were registered with the MFA. Perhaps the new policy of polite government workers is taking hold at more than the District Office level. Or they just liked you and your wife? At any rate it sounds as if they are more liberal that they used to be. As I recall they used to have folks outside to take care of those who forgot who would obtain a legal signature for a fee. Thanks for the current information.