My TV shipped from the Philippines isnt working

buck99

I had some household items shipped from the Philippines, one of which was a 60" TV. I have a new condo and had to wait for several weeks for the cable to be connected. In the mean time I connected my Apple TV and the 60" set worked perfectly. When the cable was eventually connected, the picture was in black and white and there was no sound. I thought the issue was with the cable connection since the Apple TV worked well. However a small TV (purchased in Thailand) worked perfectly in the bedroom and when moved to where the 60" TV was it continued to work perfectly there also.

Are TV signals in Thailand different from those in the Philippines and this TV is not recognizing the signal? Is there a fix for it or do I go shopping for a new set this weekend? Thanks

Nearly all electronic computer-based devices can output NTSC. That's why your NTSC (USA/JAP/PH) TV can work on your apple device.

Although it's more common to be able to switch PAL devices (TVs & VCRs) to NTSC; there's also the possibility of a setting in the TV's menu where you can set it to PAL B/M tuner.

Thailand - PAL B/M
Philippines - NTSC M

There are three main television standards used throughout the world.

NTSC - National Television Standards Committee

Developed in the US and first used in 1954, NTSC is the oldest existing broadcast standard. It consists of 525 horizontal lines of display and 60 vertical lines. Only one type exists, known as NTSC M. It is sometimes irreverently referred to as "Never Twice the Same Color."

SECAM - Système Électronique pour Couleur avec Mèmoire.

Developed in France and first used in 1967. It uses a 625-line vertical, 50-line horizontal display. Different types use different video bandwidth and audio carrier specifications. Types B and D are usually used for VHF. Types G, H, and K are used for UHF. Types I, N, M, K1 and L are used for both VHF and UHF. These different types are generally not compatible with one another. SECAM is sometimes irreverently referred to as "Something Essentially Contrary to the American Method" or "SEcond Color Always Magenta."

PAL - Phase Alternating Line

Developed in Germany and first used in 1967. A variant of NTSC, PAL uses a 625/50-line display. Different types use different video bandwidth and audio carrier specifications. Common types are B, G, and H. Less common types include D, I, K, N, and M. These different types are generally not compatible with one another. Proponents of PAL irreverently call it "Perfection At Last," while critics of its enormous circuit complexity call it "Pay A Lot" or "Picture Always Lousy."

http://countrycode.org/tv-standards

Edited by RandomSand

Does your cable box / TV have an HDMI connection? If so that should work.

The TV may have something in the setup to change standard, worth a look in the menus.

EDIT I see great minds think alike :) (or would that be fools seldom differ?)

Thank you for the information. I first checked the settings in the menu and then searched for a switch on the back of the set - both gave no solution. I then went to Ebay and for about 3000 baht bought a converter that should resolve the problem. Much cheaper and easier than buying a new TV.