Tanzanian con-artist suspect arrested by Pattaya Police

webfact

I was expecting the "black money" scam but the spray to the face scam came totally out of left field. Not very original but points for effectiveness.

Yes, the use of "artist" in the description con-artist, suggests a little skill or finesse.

In this case there was very little art, but then it appears not much was needed.

But then as Bernie Madoff (and the CEOs of most major corporations) know, there's an abundant supply of supposedly intelligent, successful people who are easily blinded by greed.

Hi Suradit, I totally agree with your humourous point - but then organisations like the EU totally rely on high sounding plausible phrases to a LOT of gullible people.

WOW, some people are so stupid trusting. Who the f*** gives a man they just met 300k in his hotel room too?

I know some blokes who give 3k- 5k baht to a girl in there bedroom whom they had just met. she did not give it to him , he took it

She's obviously as much to blame as the con-artist - of which Pattaya has plenty of local talent. Apart from the stupidity of being so eager to part with B300,000, including using her car as collateral, one would think she would know the THB has declined against the USD and isn't likely to go back up by much any time soon.

I'm guessing the reason she was willing to even consider the deal was she was offered such an attractive rate that she knew she could take the money straight to an exchange booth and make a 10 or 20% profit, being 30-60k Baht.

That was the "con" part of the whole deal. He convinced her that he was willing to sell USD at a ridiculously cheap rate and she could immediately make a profit.

She's obviously as much to blame as the con-artist - of which Pattaya has plenty of local talent. Apart from the stupidity of being so eager to part with B300,000, including using her car as collateral, one would think she would know the THB has declined against the USD and isn't likely to go back up by much any time soon.

I'm guessing the reason she was willing to even consider the deal was she was offered such an attractive rate that she knew she could take the money straight to an exchange booth and make a 10 or 20% profit, being 30-60k Baht.

That was the "con" part of the whole deal. He convinced her that he was willing to sell USD at a ridiculously cheap rate and she could immediately make a profit.

Maybe a commentary on the generally held views of darker skinned races by most Thai people...sum num na!