Penalty for taking your kids out of Thailand?

krisb

step one: you need a permission slip from the mom to take them out : game over

How would anyone know who wrote the permission?

(They could phone the mother)

How would they know the mother was speaking on the phone number you gave them?

(a little bit of preparation goes a long way)

Conscience maybe ?
Maybe, it would be on your conscience if you left them with the mother. It's not always a case of the mother being the better of the two parents, "OK" I know that's what most of the children's courts in the west think, however thankfully the Thai courts have more wisdom.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Well maybe the thai courts have.....by reading scott's topic.....in where the mother is not even raising them but her family is........a good result will come most likely after 3 1/2 years.........at what cost ......if u dont live it u dont feel it.

Conscience maybe ?

Maybe, it would be on your conscience if you left them with the mother. It's not always a case of the mother being the better of the two parents, "OK" I know that's what most of the children's courts in the west think, however thankfully the Thai courts have more wisdom.

if Thai courts are wise enough to recognize that it's not always best for the kids to be with the mother, then wouldn't it make more sense for the father to petition a Thai court for custody than for him to abduct the children?

Edited by AngelsLariat
  • Like 1

How about age of the kids...they have a certain say so at a given age right ?

The paper giving consent is a good idea to have in case....but in reality it is most likely rarely asked for....I have traveled with 2 kids and never asked for it.

Conscience maybe ?

sadly, most of the Thai mothers/grandmothers i know, would have their daughters working in the sex trade at an early age or sold for sinsot which i consider the same thing. most of the foreigners i hear of with custody issues appear to have these sort of women as the mother. i would snatch and run, no matter what the consequences, but thats just me. Edited by FiftyTwo

Conscience maybe ?

if Thai courts are wise enough to recognize that it's not always best for the kids to be with the mother, then wouldn't it make more sense for the father to petition a Thai court for custody than for him to abduct the children?

Unlike in a Western court, the Thai court will take the father into consideration, especially if they think he would make a better parent, however they are reluctant to break all contact with the mother, this is presumably why the Thai court very rarely give sole custody, preferring to award joint custody with one parent becoming the prime carer, while the other is granted a certain amount of access, dependent upon circumstances.

This means that if the father is granted joint custody as the prime carer he still cannot take the child/s out of the country, unless of course the mother agrees.

Unlike in a Western court, the Thai court will take the father into consideration, especially if they think he would make a better parent, however they are reluctant to break all contact with the mother, this is presumably why the Thai court very rarely give sole custody, preferring to award joint custody with one parent becoming the prime carer, while the other is granted a certain amount of access, dependent upon circumstances.

This means that if the father is granted joint custody as the prime carer he still cannot take the child/s out of the country, unless of course the mother agrees.

Which means foreigner father can't work, and eventually runs out of money.

Children can't get a decent education.

Counter productive don't you think?

Still, kidnapping a child seems like an extreme measure.

Again it depends on the father, some may not Have to work, while others may have to work, but having sufficient income, they can afford paid help.

Of course it would be a extreme measure, however in some circumstances there may be no alternative.

• Like 1

Of course it would be a extreme measure, however in some circumstances there may be no alternative.

Just goes to show why the Hague treaty on Child Abduction was needed. Every abducting parent will no doubt claim that there was no alternative. Somehow I don't believe that all these men who involved with such unstable women are pillars of society themselves.

• Like 1

Just goes to show why the Hague treaty on Child Abduction was needed. Every abducting parent will no doubt claim that there was no alternative. Somehow I don't believe that all these men who involved with such unstable women are pillars of society themselves.

Depends on 1s parameters.

What are yours ?

• Like 1

I don't know many foreign men who would sell their daughters into prostitution, no matter what their position in society. I do know many Thai mothers (and a few Thai fathers) who have.

• Like 1

I don't know many foreign men who would sell their daughters into prostitution, no matter what their position in society. I do know many Thai mothers (and a few Thai fathers) who have.

But u cant generalise that most, or all, poor and low class women and their families would do that.

You mix in a classy circle...

But u cant generalise that most, or all, poor and low class women and their families would do that.

Not sure it's restricted to low class women either (whoever they are).

Knowing one that has done it, and another that was going to do it is bad enough for me.

I also know two Thai women that were the ones sold, one to a brothel at age 13.

Then there was a dad who tried to sell me his 15 year old daughter.

It just sickens me to know such people exist in the world.

Edited by FiftyTwo