Harley revs up expansion

bazmlb

I sold mine before I came be darned if I was going to pay for it twice ...

Well, the good market for a Harley is gone in the states--it used to be if you have a good condition 20 year old hog, you could expect to get several times what you paid for it because they were so rare. Now, Harley sells 400k units a year and almost everyone who thinks he has made it has one in his garage. In Thailand, you can still buy a Harley, ride it for years, and sell it for most of what you paid, if you keep it in good condition--try that with a rice burner.

Anyone who rides a Harley for years and years has truly earned every single Baht of that extra resale value, if they can get it. They can put the money towards a new set of dentures having had their teeth rattled into submission or just having old age catch up with them.

As for resale, times are changing and Thai's are working out that there are better bikes out there. Fashions change, and anyone expecting top dollar for a 5 year old hog might be disappointed as the Thai bike market continues to open up.

Well, the good market for a Harley is gone in the states--it used to be if you have a good condition 20 year old hog, you could expect to get several times what you paid for it because they were so rare. Now, Harley sells 400k units a year and almost everyone who thinks he has made it has one in his garage. In Thailand, you can still buy a Harley, ride it for years, and sell it for most of what you paid, if you keep it in good condition--try that with a rice burner.

Anyone who rides a Harley for years and years has truly earned every single Baht of that extra resale value, if they can get it. They can put the money towards a new set of dentures having had their teeth rattled into submission or just having old age catch up with them.

As for resale, times are changing and Thai's are working out that there are better bikes out there. Fashions change, and anyone expecting top dollar for a 5 year old hog might be disappointed as the Thai bike market continues to open up.

Don't like HD's so post some nonsense about something you know nothing about. LOL

Don't like HD's so post some nonsense about something you know nothing about. LOL

Well, I have owned nine Harleys in my time, the only one I ever lost money on was the 2005 I sold in the US in 2006, when I came here. I have also owned seven Japanese and three English bikes, never made a penny on any of them. I guess you just have to be smarter than the problem.

You might lose less on a Harley, but I doubt it. Even if you only lost 10% in a couple of years (doubtful IMO), that's still 10% of a very high price here in Thailand. You certainly won't make money or break even unless you manage to buy a second hand one below market price from someone that's desperate to sell.

These stories of people never losing money on them just don't add up. Who's going to buy a second hand bike for 950,000 baht when they can get a brand new one for 1,000,000? People spending that sort of money want a brand new bike. You might get a few dreamers advertising their bikes at these rates but it doesn't mean that's what they get for them.

And times change, Ducati's and BMW's seem to be getting more popular in Thailand now. I rarely see Harley's these days in Bangkok, although I still see the bar hopping old guys riding them on the odd occasions I find myself in Phuket or Pattaya.

• Like 1

I don't buy a new bike to make money, I buy what I think is going to give me pleasure. In preparation to moving here full time I sold my Triumph Street Triple and lost little money on it. Prior to owning the Triumph I had an HD XR1200 and sustained much more of a loss when I sold that. In terms of build quality, performance and enjoyment of ownership the Triumph was also ahead. Harleys fill a niche and it's good that they are there to cater for riders who like that style of bike, but most people buy a particular bike because that is the one they really want, and don't buy a lesser machine just because it might fetch more at resale.

• Like 2

You might lose less on a Harley, but I doubt it. Even if you only lost 10% in a couple of years (doubtful IMO), that's still 10% of a very high price here in Thailand. You certainly won't make money or break even unless you manage to buy a second hand one below market price from someone that's desperate to sell.

These stories of people never losing money on them just don't add up. Who's going to buy a second hand bike for 950,000 baht when they can get a brand new one for 1,000,000? People spending that sort of money want a brand new bike. You might get a few dreamers advertising their bikes at these rates but it doesn't mean that's what they get for them.

And times change, Ducati's and BMW's seem to be getting more popular in Thailand now. I rarely see Harley's these days in Bangkok, although I still see the bar hopping old guys riding them on the odd occasions I find myself in Phuket or Pattaya.

Sure, you need to get a good deal to make the best of it--that's simple business. Only see a few Harleys do you, try going to any big bike event. like Pattaya next month. You'll see hundreds if not thousands of Harleys there. Harley is big business here in the LOS, most Harley owners I know are Thais.

• Like 1

Aren"t Victory and Indian planning a Thai "invasion" too ?????

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The invasion has already started! I want a Vision and the price isn't to bad but I have my money tied up and a Vision is only a dream.....for now!

Aren"t Victory and Indian planning a Thai "invasion" too ?????

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The invasion has already started! I want a Vision and the price isn't to bad but I have my money tied up and a Vision is only a dream.....for now!

Sure, you need to get a good deal to make the best of it--that's simple business. Only see a few Harleys do you, try going to any big bike event. like Pattaya next month. You'll see hundreds if not thousands of Harleys there. Harley is big business here in the LOS, most Harley owners I know are Thais.

So now you need a good second hand deal when buying to not make a loss? That applies to anything, if I bought a Fino at below the market rate then I could sell it for a small profit or break even - that's business as you say and has nothing to do with Harleys.

I'll have to take your word for it regarding the Pattaya bike event next month as I'll be working in Sydney that week and my pirate outfit is still at the dry cleaners.

So now you need a good second hand deal when buying to not make a loss? That applies to anything, if I bought a Fino at below the market rate then I could sell it for a small profit or break even - that's business as you say and has nothing to do with Harleys.

I'll have to take your word for it regarding the Pattaya bike event next month as I'll be working in Sydney that week and my pirate outfit is still at the dry cleaners.

Look at new and used Harley vs. Honda prices here in LOS--they are all asking prices, so a good deal can be had. Which bikes have the least percentage difference between new asking price and used asking price. Now, if you are still not convinced, dig a little deeper, you may find what the actual sales price was.