Flu/cold?

I've got a cold - have had fever, sore throat, runny nose, now coughing, the works. I can't leave the house because of the accident I had two weeks ago, but my flatmate (well, bungalowmate) tells me "everyone" on KPG is coughing. Is there an epidemic going on right now? On KPG only or on Samui as well? I thought I left that <deleted> back in freezing ol' Blighty...

Comes and goes, is this the first time you have had it?

In Thailand - yes. Not particularly worried about myself (though coughing with a broken rib isn't my idea of fun), just wondering if there's an epidemic of some kind. I got it from my flatmate who started sneezing a day before me, and he says "everyone" is coughing. I can't go out to see for myself if it's true...

Edited by AngThong

In Thailand - yes. Not particularly worried about myself (though coughing with a broken rib isn't my idea of fun), just wondering if there's an epidemic of some kind. I got it from my flatmate who started sneezing a day before me, and he says "everyone" is coughing. I can't go out to see for myself if it's true...

I get it 2-3 times a year and it generally lasts only a few days though the cough lasts longer. I've been out and about the last few days (busier than a Syrian bricklayer) and nobody I've met in Lamai has it at present. Other times every **** and his mother has it within days of each other.

Edited by notmyself
  • Like 1

I get it 2-3 times a year and it generally lasts only a few days though the cough lasts longer. I've been out and about the last few days (busier than a Syrian bricklayer) and nobody I've met in Lamai has it at present. Other times every **** and his mother has it within days of each other.

Its very very widespread in Lamai !! Same symtoms as described, me included. 3-5 days and most seams to be back in form. Cheers

• Like 2

really u need to see a doctor. doubt an internet expat chat forum has your answers. There is all the common stuff which you would need a blood test to see if you have it such as dengy fever, or just common virus which you would still need a doctor to get your meds from. even if you do have a common cold.

Lots of air born virus around also. They come and go but England you get allot of fevers from the cold here you get tropical sicknesses. Either way be it parcetamol or something more serious only one way to know thats to see if you can fly if you beleive u can fly then u definatly need a dr

Edited by BigC

I had it nearly 4 weeks ago after being in Samui for 3 days. Took me 2 weeks to actually start feeling better and 4 weeks later still have runny nose and congestion in the chest. Girlfriend spent 2 weeks living with me and didn't catch it, but told me last night she now has it so there certainly seems to be something going around.

Yep - I used to get three colds a year in the UK, and each time I'd end up with bronchitis afterwards.. Now I only seem to get one every couple of years or so - all over and done with in a couple of day and no cough afterwards.

Except for a couple of weeks ago. First time in 15 years - a really bad cold and then a week of congested lungs. I know or two friends locally with the same. And now I'm reading about all this on the island.

There's definitively something going round . . .

R

• Like 1

Thanks for the warning.

I used to get flu 4 -5 times a year until I started using zinc tablets as a preventative. Not much good if you already have flu, but great for fighting it off if you come in to contact with a sneezer or cougher.

Boots own brand seems to be the best value, and they work very well.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone. I'm pretty much ok now, just a little bit of cough left. I never was worried about myself, just surprised to get a cold in Thailand and even more surprised to hear there's something of an outbreak of it.

Thanks everyone. I'm pretty much ok now, just a little bit of cough left. I never was worried about myself, just surprised to get a cold in Thailand and even more surprised to hear there's something of an outbreak of it.

Having gone from Tumbleweeds to full capacity in less than a week with visitors decending upon us from around the world there's little wonder that we get pole-axed per annum just after Christmas/New Year.

• Like 1

And not forgetting the 10 degree overnight drop in temperature (with the wind chill from the NE wind).

It's <deleted> freezin up here at night! angry.png

I noticed that, too. The night I had fever I was shivering under my blanket. Been a bit more tolerable since, and I actually like the daytime wind. Keeps things nicely fresh.

And not forgetting the 10 degree overnight drop in temperature (with the wind chill from the NE wind).

It's <deleted> freezin up here at night! angry.png

I noticed that, too. The night I had fever I was shivering under my blanket. Been a bit more tolerable since, and I actually like the daytime wind. Keeps things nicely fresh.

I been using three blankets for over a month now.... brrr... and today it's so cool with the northerly wind coming off Maenam beach, I need a sweater! Been a miserable couple of days!w00t.gif

As to evadgib's question... many doctors have evening clinics, after their stink at the hospital, perhaps see if you can get a prescription, they are usually cheap for a visit!

Moyra Pharmacy has Zinc tabs , buy bottle of 30 get 20 free (second bottle) but no sign saying that!!!.... I was just given the second bottle at the til. thumbsup.gif

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 1

I thought I left that <deleted> back in freezing ol' Blighty...

Probably some tourists from Old Blighty sneaked it into Thailand as a New Year's gift. A bit like well-documented bacterial & viral gifts brought by travelling European semen ... seamen ... to susceptible populations in exotic locations.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2