Drivers of taxis, commuter vans hit by this week's Bangkok protests

webfact

Drivers of taxis, commuter vans hit by this week's Bangkok protests
Thanapat Kitjakosol
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Taxi and commuter-van drivers and owners are complaining about the difficulty they are facing making a living due to the anti-government campaign that has locked down much of Bangkok.

A cooperative of commuter-van operators estimates that drivers of about 5,000 vans, who are mostly low-income earners, are suffering from a huge loss of revenue, which is normally earned from fares collected from around 100,000 daily passengers.

Chairman Chaiyaphat Kerdkiat yesterday called on banks to reduce monthly instalment rates on loans incurred through purchases of operators' and drivers' vehicles. In many cases, the drivers are paid by their number of daily runs, or daily fees.

This group of people has suffered most, especially family breadwinners, as they have daily expenses to cover, he said.

Meanwhile, one taxi driver deplores how his all-red vehicle was once smashed and damaged just because of its colour.

Tribhop Montien, 33, said it was unfair for him to have sustained such an indiscriminate attack.

He does not mind about the "Bangkok shutdown" campaign, as he believes in the protesters' constitutional right to express themselves.

Moreover, driving his own taxi, he does not have to pay a daily fee like most drivers that use rented taxis.

Tribhop also said that since the attack on his vehicle, he had been avoiding rally sites or jammed areas and was seeking passengers in suburban areas instead.

Drop in daily income cited

Another taxi driver Somphorn Pramayo, 44, said his daily income - after deducting rent of around Bt500 and petrol expense of about Bt400 - had fallen by some 40 per cent during this week's protests.

The number of passengers has dropped even more during the night, as far fewer Bangkok residents are going out or, if they do, are not staying out late.

"Merchants who buy cheaper items at wholesale markets even avoid travelling at night, for fear of their life and security," he said

Commuter-van driver Chaiya Sriwanta, 39, who operates between Victory Monument and Ban Laem district in Phetchaburi, said he had been using short cuts in the capital to avoid rally sites, and in many cases dropped passengers off prematurely or away from their destinations.

Long-term blockades by the protesters would affect commuters and operators alike, he said.

"If we can't make our runs, how do we get income to cover daily expenses and monthly instalment repayments? It's a chain reaction that affects everyone involved," he added.

Van driver Phongphan Nakrob, 42, who operates between Victory Monument and Kanchanaburi, said the shutdown campaign, which entered its fifth day yesterday, had resulted in only nine vans in his queue providing a service, and 16 others to stop running.

"An hour-long wait at the queue before each run gets only a few passengers, and the queue has now moved to a nearby spot, resulting in a large number of prospective passengers missing us out," he said.

"Van drivers are now running out of money. We are burdened with a Bt40 daily permit, a monthly rental fee and petrol costs - and have only a little money left over.

"If this continues, we will soon lose our vans through repossession. If the protests continue, we'll surely die out," he added.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-18

That cannot be true. Suthep said this would only affect the government.

Those people in Bangkok who say their lives and businesses are being drastically affected by the shutdown must be lying, mustn't they?

They should rejoice they have honest protestors who do not shut their business down and try to burn it down.wai.gif

• Like 2

it did not seem to be a problem for them back in 2010

I would even think that now that they are all rich, thanks to this great government, they could stand one week with a slightly reduced activity in some areas.

Back then Thailand was a dictatorship, today it's a democracy. But maybe you like fascism. Which wouldn't surprise me given your hateful attitude towards the working people.

Maybe these taxi and van drivers need to pay Suthep a visit and take their losses out of his money bags. He seems to collect millions of Baht of money every day, I'm sure he can afford to give something back to "the people". After all, it's a "people's revolution", as he called it, right? It's time to show how much you care about the people, Mr. Suthep.

• Like 2

Suthep doesn't really care about the hard working citizens of Bangkok. He has one goal, to be President for Life. And don't stand in his way or he will use violence means in his non-violence campaign.

True enough but how many politicians here actually truly care about the people they are elected to represent?

And as for being President for life he's not the only one with that particular ambition.

As you know transport in Phuket control by powerful person same as Bangkok, motor taxi, tuk-tuk , meter taxi parking in front hotel etc control by ' it tee pun ' powerful figure behind I don't agree road closer but if they win I am sure something will change for next generation to come be better Thailand to lived in....

• Like 1

I thought the concept of taxi's was that they could work everywhere in the city. They are mobile.. different story for the vans. But hey logic does not come into the equation of the pro government ppl.

Anyway it is not like the whole city is locked down, and they still refuse rides so it cant be that bad.

• Like 1

Van drivers are now running out of money.

Maybe, they can drive faster to make more trips to compensate for lost income.

No they can't, because of all these half witted drivers driving too slow in the outside lanes, forcing the van drivers to keep slowing down and changing to inside lanes.

What should they do if they are angry at the protesters? Wait for the election and vote accordingly, or kill somebody?

The protesters are very selfish people who are costing innocent people their livelihoods, just because they want there own way. Hell mend them.

What should they do if they are angry at the protesters? Wait for the election and vote accordingly, or kill somebody?

They have the "kill somebody" down pat already due to lack of diving skills, speed and ill maintained vans. I have not heard about a van crash all week ... maybe the protest is saving lives smile.png

No, but there are plenty of other vehicles involved in crashes because of slow drivers using outside lanes. Don't blame the van drivers all the time. I have traveled a few times recently between Nakhon Sawan and Bangkok, and the drivers have always been safe enough. That's my experience anyway.

That cannot be true. Suthep said this would only affect the government.

Those people in Bangkok who say their lives and businesses are being drastically affected by the shutdown must be lying, mustn't they?

They should rejoice they have honest protestors who do not shut their business down and try to burn it down.wai.gif

If the protesters are honest, they would not be causing all this inconvenience to innocent people for their own ends. What is the ballot box for?

Suthep doesn't really care about the hard working citizens of Bangkok. He has one goal, to be President for Life. And don't stand in his way or he will use violence means in his non-violence campaign.

You seem to support the "hard working Citizens" most notably according to this article the Taxi and Van drivers. My personal experience in BKK has mostly been Taxi drivers listening to Thaksins speeches on their radios. Also a very recent mishap relating to Van drivers happened today to a friend of mine, the Van driver started shooting off his mouth about the Yellow shirts and their criminal activities, when my friend than chimed in and said where is your proof, to others in the van backed her up, the Van driver pulled up on the side of the Tollway into BKK and ordered them out of the Van, as it happened everyone got out in support, and demanded their money back. That's a simple case of one person listening to a voice out off Dubai.

• Like 1

it did not seem to be a problem for them back in 2010

I would even think that now that they are all rich, thanks to this great government, they could stand one week with a slightly reduced activity in some areas.

Back then Thailand was a dictatorship, today it's a democracy. But maybe you like fascism. Which wouldn't surprise me given your hateful attitude towards the working people.

A democracy? Try again with kleptocracy, and you will be closer to the truth.

Dictatorship in 2010? i must have missed that. The current state of this country looks way more like a dictatorship in disguised than in 2010.

Now, what do you know about who I hate or not? Me liking fascism? Are you accusing me? What does your comment has to do with this thread? You don't know me, and your judgement is worth nothing!

I stated a fact. In 2010, the very same people who complain today for a week of mere inconvenience in some areas of Bangkok did not seem to suffer too much, even after a 2 month blockade of the city center. Prove me wrong, please!

Have a good day

• Like 2

The same taxi drivers I hope that left me and wife standing in the rain as 15 of the bastards rejected our fare because the roads on our 8km route were busy.

Now complaining because they can't make a living because they can't get the fares they need to survive..... Lol

Loving it.

• Like 1

Don't panic, nobody has to worry partytime2.gif

I remember no so long time ago, when they burned that bus in ramkhahaeng, I read mr. shutep cowboy.gif declarations promising that his party will cover any possible cost or damage resulted by their fight until they have returned the power to the people.

Perhaps taxi and van drivers can friendly remember to suthep or his party a compensation for their lack of income during the protests.

Too many fares declined... the taxi drivers are their own worst enemies. Today I could not take a taxi to Yaowarat or to Anusawali, even though both areas are open for some traffic. I had to walk more than 1 km to get a taxi... Of course, this does not stop the TVF members out of town stating the completely incorrect position.

• Like 1