How to point my server to my external IP address

rogera

Hi all,

I have set up a MacMini server at my home and am having difficulty if finding how to point my mail.domainname.org to my external IP address. Can anyone help with this problem?

Many thanks is advance for any help that you can give.

Cheers

Find the dns provider for your domain. May or not be the domain provider itself.

Then update your MX records to the external ip.

This assumes you have a static ip from your Isp. If you have dynamic ip then do NOT use it for a mail server since you will just have constant spam issues.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

to have that properly working you need to do 4 simple things.

however, they may different based on the infrastructure you are using.

- make sure the port 25 does actually reach your machine (port forward / nat) on the router.

- change the DNS to have a host with the ip you are using (if the IP does change you may need to use dynamic update (DNSSEC) or the easy aprach via dyndns (i not really recoment that)

- in order to send mails from the machine .. and avoiding some spam issues (since the ip may change and you not in control of the PTR records) you need to make sure the spf records also set properly.

in case you do use DNSSEC for dynamic updates this can be archived quite easy.

- on the machine itself simply set then the mail hostname to your mail.domainname.org and make sure the server does not resolve the local host .. (this can be done by simply add the mail.domainname.org into the /etc/hosts file