Beef wellington

lynchee

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing how even a simple straightforward request for beef wellington quickly degenerates into personal abuse. Or maybe not amazing these days on TV.Sad though.

You could try the new British Restaurant, The Edge Did an excellent Christmas Lunch and I suspect for a group of at least 4, may prepare Beef Wellington for you. Worth a phone call. Great location on the river-they have a facebook page for more details.

For those suspicious souls here, I have no connection, I am just a very satisfied customer.

I'd never heard of this place until you mentioned it today, looks interesting - how far along the river is it from the American Consulate, Walking Distance?

From the US consulate / white chedi walk past the all the fruit stalls about 200m on the right.

Literally the edge of the river, hence the name.

Has a nice funky bamboo lattice wall that I was looking at to copy for myself sometime.

Anyone know the business hours of The Edge?

Thanks. I was hoping that it was open in the daytime.

So was I. I see mentioned on TripAdvisor that they are planning on extending their hours and will soon open for lunch on the weekends.

before going out for BW; it might be wise to know the difference between filet steak and tenderloin. If the are using real tenderloin,; it is going to come with a hefty price tag.

For the uninitiated, here's the difference: There isn't one.

They are both beef loin, and Tenderloin is the name used in the US as opposed to the name Fillet used everywhere else.

\Top loin, sir loin, and tenderloin are three different things. Only the choicest part is the tenderloin.

A filet mignon is the smaller part of the tenderloin, that term didn't originate in the US, obviously. A lot of non-high end restaurants will sell a "filet steak" which is not part of the tenderloin, but just a boneless cut of much cheaper beef. You would probably be lucky if it is a top-loin, which still is half the price of a tenderloin. Chateaubriand is also suppose to be from the tenderloin, and even in the US, it can often be sirloin.

Filet steaks can be institutional food; dining hall, mess hall, or otherwise, while a true filet is from the tenderloin of beef.

Edited by Thighlander

before going out for BW; it might be wise to know the difference between filet steak and tenderloin. If the are using real tenderloin,; it is going to come with a hefty price tag.

For the uninitiated, here's the difference: There isn't one.

They are both beef loin, and Tenderloin is the name used in the US as opposed to the name Fillet used everywhere else.

\Top loin, sir loin, and tenderloin are three different things. Only the choicest part is the tenderloin.

A filet mignon is the smaller part of the tenderloin, that term didn't originate in the US, obviously. A lot of non-high end restaurants will sell a "filet steak" which is not part of the tenderloin, but just a boneless cut of much cheaper beef. You would probably be lucky if it is a top-loin, which still is half the price of a tenderloin. Chateaubriand is also suppose to be from the tenderloin, and even in the US, it can often be sirloin.

Filet steaks can be institutional food; dining hall, mess hall, or otherwise, while a true filet is from the tenderloin of beef.

What disreputable establishments choose to call their food has absolutely no bearing on the fact that Fillet Steak in Europe is the same as Tenderloin in the US.

Filet Mignon is simply a specific cut.from the smaller end of the loin. Chateaubriand is a recipe that is supposed to be made with fillet, but it was originally made from sirloin.

Perhaps your advice might have read better if you'd said "It might be wise to make sure that the establishment you are eating in is serving you proper Fillet/Tenderloin, which is typically more expensive, rather than fobbing you off with a lesser quality cut of meat".

biggrin.png

Edited by Chicog

I was in the Central Festival Food Hall today and noticed Beef Wellington in the frozen section at half price reduced to around 1100 baht, didn't take a close look to see what the ingredients were, I just remembered this thread and it made me smile. biggrin.png

Half price it must be off

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

And maybe start with a Caesar Salad tossed tableside, Lobster Thermidor appetizer and for dessert Baked Alaska. Any good wines to pair with culinary classics of the 1950's?

The use of Language suggests a Yank who would not recognise a good Beef Wellington if it rose up and smacked the face !

Tossed Tableside ! cheesy.gif

A little bit unnecessary, No?

Some folks call us Brits snobs, I wonder why?

Bouef en croute uses the fillet.

Decades ago in Kenya I discovered it was amazingly cheap as no-one wanted to pay a bit extra for it I guess.

Twice a week I would have a couple of slices of fillet on toast......and it was indeed tender......so Thai may be too.

Years later perhaps the eighties in London we bought a whole fillet for a beef Wellington and it was very expensive

Then you gotta pay for the duck pate.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Edited by cheeryble

Still cannot imagine why one would want to serve a nice slab en croute, this day and age. Admittedly, It must take great skill to get the choux browned properly whilst keeping the filet nice and rare. Proper respect to the epicurean gourmands of Lanna!

Edited by arunsakda

Good beef Wellington calls for an angus raised cattle topped with some pate and encased in a scrumptious pastry. Cooking is the key and I doubt if any Britisher knows how to do this properly. Let em stick with fish and chips LMAO

"Britisher?"

Good God, I can only assume you think you make a decent curry. Munch it.

• Like 1

I'll give La Fourchette a call. With imported beef there's hope...right?

Thanks for the input!

So did you track down your Beef Wellington, and if so, was it any good?

I did give La Fourchette a call, but they do not have beef wellington on order except for Christmas/special holidays.

I'll give La Fourchette a call. With imported beef there's hope...right?

Thanks for the input!

So did you track down your Beef Wellington, and if so, was it any good?

I did give La Fourchette a call, but they do not have beef wellington on order except for Christmas/special holidays.

Thanks for taking time to 'report back" . Did you try The Edge too?

Britisher!Oh dear,what sort untraveled,and some what ignorant person could make a comment like that? Poster #46. British chefs are now the most wanted in the world.We have the same sort of diversity as our Antipodean and European friends to produce wonderful food.May I suggest you get out of your shell.

Please Tex mex is better than anything a uk resident could make and Americans consider it second class food stick with your greasy fish and undercooked chips. Epicurean delights never reached the uk the uk isles

better than anything a uk restaurant could make

• Like 1

Good beef Wellington calls for an angus raised cattle topped with some pate and encased in a scrumptious pastry. Cooking is the key and I doubt if any Britisher knows how to do this properly. Let em stick with fish and chips LMAO

Just where in the world do you think that Aberdeen Angus originated from?? Duh!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Please Tex mex is better than anything a uk resident could make and Americans consider it second class food stick with your greasy fish and undercooked chips. Epicurean delights never reached the uk the uk isles

Now you are just showing your ignorance- where did you eat when you were visiting UK? There are hundreds, probably many more, Michelin starred restaurants in UK.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Being a subject of a former colony, I would have thought you'd realise that Britain has taken much of the food it found on its travels and refined it.

I'd stick to Biryani and trying to use long words to impress your friends if I were you.

• Like 1

Well done Mr Wilde, with your unparallelled wit and insight clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

The thread is about Beef Wellington. Hands up who's actually had a go at making one? I've had a couple of goes in recent years, but I can't say my pastry was a great success; however, if you get the meat and paté right then you have some wiggle room.

Jamie Oliver does an easier and nice twist here which I might have a go at this weekend.

Oooh, and if the beef and the paté is the issue, how about:

http://www.grouprecipes.com/96313/sausage-wellington.html

Great Britain has a lot of good dishes and so does the U.S. They both have their fair share of tasteless crap too. Arguing about who is better or worse is pretty pointless.

The bit about "Tex Mex is better than anything a uk resident could make" tickled me, as I would imagine there's more than one Tex-Mex expert who happens to be a UK resident.

biggrin.png