Non O multiple entry marriage visa - Possible to extend each entry by 30 days?

Good evening,

I'm on a multiple entry non-O marriage visa, and my first 3 months are ending on February 5th. I will be leaving Thailand early March so that leaves a month I need to cover.

I'm currently in Pattaya and therefore was going to do a visa run to Cambodia (and lose a couple of months), however I've just read somewhere that it's possible to extend each entry at the immigration office by 30 days, the way you do with tourist visas. So below are my questions for the experts here:)

1. Is it true you can do such a 30-day extension for a 1,900 baht fee at immigration?

2. If so, can you extend it again by an extra 7 days at the end of the 30-day extension, as you can do with a tourist visa?

3. Does it impact in any way your subsequent entries?

Cheers!

Thanks for the reply, but that wasn't my question, I'll rephrase:

All I need is 30 extra days between the end of my current 90 days and my departure from Thailand. I'm wondering if I can simply get an extension from immigration rather than have to do a border run.

Basically I'd much rather take a leisurely stroll down to the immigration office than go on a 9-hour minivan bumpy ride.

All I need is 30 extra days between the end of my current 90 days and my departure from Thailand. I'm wondering if I can simply get an extension from immigration rather than have to do a border run.

Basically I'd much rather take a leisurely stroll down to the immigration office than go on a 9-hour minivan bumpy ride.

If you are married take your wife , marriage certificate, wife's ID card and house book to immigration and ask for a 60 day extension to visit your wife .

If you are married take your wife , marriage certificate, wife's ID card and house book to immigration and ask for a 60 day extension to visit your wife .

Be aware this may be refused if you have a valid visa .

Edited by Sceptict11

Be aware this may be refused if you have a valid visa .

Ok, I've found confirmation of this on several other threads.

Thanks!

whistling.gif Basically the answer to your question is no.

However, you CAN apply for an extension for 30 or 60 days on your current visa to visit your wife. (And your legal children by your marriage to a Thai, if that applies).

That may be granted or may not be granted, depends on immigration.

Others have done that successfully, but there is no guarantee.

But make that request BEFORE your current visa expires, there is no extension possible even 1 day after your visa has already expired.

You won't lose any time, if the extension is granted the time you get for the extension will just be added on to your visa time.

Now, if you have a valid one year multi entry visa and NOT an extension, there is another path you can take.

On a multi entry visa each entry will get you a 90 day "permitted to stay" stamp on your entry to Thailand.

Therefore, you can leave Thailand 1 day before the expiration date of your multi entry visa.

You then turn around and re-enter Thailand (but make sure you get stamped out of Thailand and stamped into to a neighboring country .... in other words exiting and re-entering Thailand legally like any tourist would.

Now, even though your multi entry visa expires the next day the 90 day "permitted to stay stamp" you get for entering Thailand that last time is still valid and will legally keep you in Thailand until the date on that "permitted to stay" stamp in your passport.

That is how you legally extend a multi entry 1 year visa to keep you in Thailand for a period of 15 months .... the one year visa and the 90 day permitted to stay stamp you got one day before your visa expired make nearly 15 months from that one year visa you received.

That"s known as a "border run", and it's entirely legal. It's how you "milk" an extra3 months from a one year visa.

Please understand that this is only possible with a legal visa .... the one you used to enter Thailand originally and that you received from the Thai consulate or embassy before you came to Thailand.

This "border run: is NOT possible if you extended that visa in Thailand and that original 1 year multi entry visa is already expired (It has an expiration date in it usually).

Not sure if that applies to you our not, but it may be possible. Verify the expiration date on your visa to see if it is still valid.

Choose the one you prefer.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

From Police order 777/2551

2.24 In the case of an alien visiting a Thai spouse or child:

Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 60 days at a time.

(1) Proof of relationship.

(2) In the case of a spouse, their marital relationship shall be de jure (legitimate) and de facto.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update on this matter:

Jomtien immigration does issue 60 day extensions for visiting a Thai spouse. Just go with your wife (she must go with you as she will have to sign a form) and present the following docs:

Photocopy of wife's Tabien Baan. If she isn't registered in Chonburi, you must also get a letter from your accommodation office or landlord specifying your current address (both your names on document).
Photocopy of wife's ID
Photocopy of your passport

Photocopy of marriage certificate
TM6
form

1 pic of you
1900 baht

Edited by Sam Gold

So glad to find this thread,but I have questions specifically for anyone who live in Chiangmai. We're in the process of moving to Chiangmai beginning of March,which is around the time my husband's 90-day visa runs out. We're thinking of extending it because we'll be busy with the moving process and not able to leave the country. When I called to ask about extension,I was told that it's not possible for this type of visa,they will want you to get 1 year visa. This doesn't sound right to me, so we called to ask a visa service company and they said just show up at the immigration and ask for it,they should give it to us. My questions are:

1. Does anyone know if immigration office in Chiangmai give extension to non immigrant type O 90-day visa?

2. We can't afford the 1 year visa right now, so most likely we'll have to stick with 90-day visa for a while. Any suggestions on the most cost effective and time saving way for visa run in the future once we're living in Chiangmai?

Thanks a million...

You do not tell based on what you have a non-O visa.

But unless married to a Thai national you can only get an extension of stay for 1 year or an extra 7 days to leave the country without proof of financials, but they might want to see a ticket out of the country. (might!)