You're experience in Thailand same as this one?

dude123

Here is the article in full:

Thai World

By Bart Walters

living_in_Thailand-300x225.jpg

The self-centered pathology of Thai people is more than just individual selfishness, it’s a nationwide epidemic

What motivates the speech and actions of Thai people is a mystery not soon to be solved. Live here a while and you’ll soon learn; the smile is a mask, the genuflecting “wai” their shield and no deal is ever really “done”. When attempting to unravel it all, one should always remember, Thais are only motivated by things they think have a direct impact on them personally.

As the world watched the monster tsunami devour chunks of Southeast Asia, it witnessed the alleged caring and selfless nature of Thai people on CNN every night.

During a news interview with a nearly drowned Aussie, the tourist gushed about the fearless Thai hotel manager that risked his own life to pull him out of the churning abyss. As a long time resident of Phuket, I remember thinking “The guy probably hadn’t paid his bill yet.”

While driving to the market I witnessed an unfortunate dog that had lost his life attempting to cross 3 lanes of morning traffic. All week I passed this site, wincing a little more every day as the dog’s body succumbed to the elements.

“Why doesn’t someone take that dog away?” I asked my wife.

Incredulous, she answered, “Why I’m gonna get that dog? Not my dog”.

I had just assumed that in a Buddhist country with all that compassion and temples and monks and such, someone would take it upon themselves to take care of the poor creature. Ask ten Thai people the same question that I asked my wife and 8 of them will answer the same way; “not my dog”. The other two would say, “How much you pay me?”

While visiting a friend who runs a property development firm here in Pattaya, he closed a huge deal for 63 units in his off-plan condo project. With that deal he had the funding to break ground with confidence immediately. He danced around the office in his bare feet and sent one of the staff out for champagne.

The remaining staff members observed his antics like cows watching a train pass. None of them cared but the sales people; and they were unhappy. That would make 63 units they couldn’t sell and collect commission on. They could care less about the success of the company or financial health of the project. For them it was money out of their pocket.

The self-centered pathology of Thai people is more than just individual selfishness, it’s a nationwide epidemic. Last year, a gang of royalists clad in yellow shirts stormed the huge international airport, gumming up regional transport for days and costing the tourism, shipping and export industries dearly. The economic damage to all sectors of Thai business suffers to this day. Nobody is sure what they wanted.

For the past two years other inhabitants of the “Land of Smiles” have donned red uniforms and taken to the streets in an attempt to reinstall the leader that paid them to vote for him years ago. They impede the process of governance by blocking access to Government House, stop up major thoroughfares and most recently poured blood on the doorstep of the current Prime Minister.

Dozens of countries have put out travel advisories due to the ongoing disruptions in Bangkok. Empty airplane seats, empty hotel rooms, empty taxi cabs, empty pockets … high season just didn’t come this year.

This week, yet another gang of travel and tourism representatives are going to Bangkok to protest the protesters. Everyone will talk and no one will listen. I do not know the word for “compromise” in Thai; perhaps because I’ve never heard it.

The root of this mindset lies with the individual. Walk around in Bangkok long enough and you will be rammed, full-stride and headlong, buy a Thai that apparently could not see you. Invariably they will dust themselves off and look at you as if to say, “What the hell are you doing on my planet?”

You are not invisible, you have entered Thai World. I live in Thailand … Thais live in “Thai World”. And, apparently, Thai World ends about three inches from the surface of a Thai person’s skin. The phrase “self-absorbed” doesn’t even begin to describe it.

Perhaps the best example of this compassion vacuum was an experience I had a few years ago. I was standing on my eighth floor balcony in downtown Bangkok, drinking wine with my best friend and his Thai wife.

It was rush hour on busy Soi 16 and we could see the traffic building up to a jam. As the sun went down and the brake lights came on, we noticed a commotion several blocks away. A fire had started beyond some low-rise condos and the flames were soon licking into the air more than 7 stories high.

Within minutes we could hear the howl of fire trucks and police sirens. As the blaze built to three-alarm status, we could see all the rescue vehicles stuck in traffic. No one pulled over to make way for the emergency team. Vehicles crept forward, nose-to-tail, as if the blaring siren and flashing lights did not exist. It took 20 minutes for them to move 100 meters.

When the fire truck and support team arrived at the fire, I used my binoculars to see what was happening. Under the billowing black smoke I could see fire suits being donned, and hoses being reeled out … but none of it in a hurry. One fireman, whose job it was to connect a big hose to the hydrant was standing there smoking a cigarette and talking to another fireman … right over the top of the hydrant … someone had to remind him to hook up the hose to the water source.

I handed my binoculars to my friend’s wife and exclaimed, “Those guys don’t seem to be in a big hurry to put out that fire”.

She looked for a moment, made a facial shrug and said, “Not their house”. It was just that simple.

The next day I went to the site of the fire. I could see that it had been what we in Thailand call a construction camp. I walked by it almost every day. When high rises and other buildings are being erected, huge teams of nomadic construction workers set up what looks like a shanty town to house themselves and their family. This particular construction camp had stood for over two years and serviced three building sites nearby.

A fire in such a ram shackled cluster of half-assed sheds and tents, complete with propane tanks, gasoline and other flammables, must have been devastating. I couldn’t help wondering if anyone died.

Stopping at a papaya salad vendor on my way home I asked the owner what happened. She explained that all three construction projects were finished. The lease the developer held on the land had expired. To evacuate the site of the construction camp more expediently the owner had torched it. They gave no warning. I still don’t know if anyone died.

When you’re a tourist, the butt-kissing reflexive smile is included in the VAT. But, when you live here, you’re just another dog in the dog-eat-dog equation. And, if you aren’t careful you’ll be perceived as the big slow dog with no teeth and a fat wallet. Even with all the smiling and bowing … it’s hardly a kinder/gentler place. Welcome to Asia.

Please don’t misunderstand me. I still choose to live here above any other spot on the planet. But, those considering a long stay in Siam should not expect to be bathed in the light of neighbor-loving Buddhism. You should expect Thais to be Thai.

Most importantly, don’t be fooled by the show. In Bangkok the Skytrain makes a slow curve right over the shrine of the four-faced Buddha in front of the Erawan Hotel. Any day of the week one can witness throngs of faithful burning joss sticks and kneeling before the giant totem. At first glance one could easily be moved by their devotion.

Most of them are asking for good luck in the lottery.

[ Editor’s note: I have corresponded with many fantastic people during my time with Escape Artist but Bart Walters is by far one of the most entertaining and genuine people I have had the pleasure to be in contact with. Bart writes about life in Thailand and permits me to use his work in exchange for a link back to the charity website that raises money for an orphanage in Thailand. Please take a moment to visit the site, donate if you can and help support a good cause. Please go to www.care4kids.info Thank you ]

For more info take a look at Escape From America http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/697998-youre-experience-in-thailand-same-as-this-one/

I have lived in Thailand for 18 years. 10 years in Bkk working and 8 years in Pattaya/Jomtien trying to make my way in this world. I can 10000000000% understand the Editor's conclusions and have experienced his delights as well. He is NOT trying to insult or paint a poor picture of Thai's, he is just telling it as it is. (by the way, well written).

Often I speak to foreigners who have recently arrived and believe they have just set foot into utopia. I never, never comment as to their perception of Thai's, just listen with a smile. Like the poster of this article they always make the assumption you hate every Thai and Thailand if you make comments as above..

Love to read some more entertaining experiences.

He is definetly not telling it how it is.He is giving his opinion of how he thinks it is.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else see a little irony in an article about selfishness that describes him watching a burning building through a set of binoculars with a glass of wine in his hand?

I know there's not much he could practically do about it, but still...

He could have picked up that dead dog that he kept passing,instead of whining about other people not picking it up.Hypocrite.

• Like 1

Well to generalise about an entire nation is a bit of a stretch. I also think people see what they want to see when faced the complexity of 60 million people. Perhaps the characteristics people see are reflection of their own views and prejudices on the many people they interact with. I do not see the same Thailand in most of the interactions I have with Thai people. Perhaps the author is a bit of grumpy sod and so that's what he sees. I have seen some selfish people - especially related to politics - but most people I've met in my 6 years of living and 20 years of visiting Thailand have been decent, caring people. Sent from my C6902 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Excellent, fair-minded post.

A large percentage of Westerners seem to become confused and perplexed when they come to live here and find themselves faced with a culture different from their own.

Folks don't like to be confused and perplexed -- it makes them feel insecure. But, instead of taking their time to understand the history, language and culture of their new

place of residence, they take the easy-way-out. They look for quick and simplistic explanations. When someone writes a biased article like the one cited here -- Aha! They

jump on those simplistic views as a quick solution to their insecurity. I have witnessed this pattern of intellectually lazy behavior in many of my fellow expats since I first

went to live overseas in Dec 1960.

This pattern of is still prevalent today.

As Western expats, we would do well to analyze our own problematic patterns of intellectual laziness before we attempt to make sweeping generalizations about a culture

most of us know far less about.

So please enlighten us with your intellectual understanding of Thai history language and culture as to why they dont pull over for emergency vehicles.

No intellectual understanding required.

Even casual observation would reveal that Thai drivers often don't yield to emergency vehicles very likely for the same reason that American drivers don't.

Why should we expect Thai drivers to be any different? They are just normal humans with faults like everyone else.

Anyone else see a little irony in an article about selfishness that describes him watching a burning building through a set of binoculars with a glass of wine in his hand?

I know there's not much he could practically do about it, but still...

He could have picked up that dead dog that he kept passing,instead of whining about other people not picking it up.Hypocrite.

yeah i noticed too, i feel sry for the guy's wife having to put up with his BS interpretations, she is prolly intentionally siding with the thais on all issues due to the fact that he is a total jerk off

I dunno - methinks MOST of the people the world over

are selfish and lead insular lives. Possibly, Thais

haven't yet figured out how to mask their self-interest

as well as they're able to in the west- ?

Anywho, there are a lot of experiences I can relate to -

half a day at the bank, holding the door and not given

any recognition whatsoever, picking up litter, not putting

trash in bins,.... I first came to Thailand in 1973.

Good and bad people everywhere. A somewhat insular

lifestyle with your guard up frees one to enjoy the positives

more of the time. wai2.gif

As Western expats, we would do well to analyze our own problematic patterns of intellectual laziness before we attempt to make sweeping generalizations about a culture

So not caring enough to move over and let an ambulance pass to help someone who is injured is a cultural thing that you think should be accepted?

Not caring about conservation of life in any country is heinous.

You should stop being a Thai apologist and live by the rules of common human decency.

Let's make an agreement, shall we?

l promise to stop being a Thai apologist just as soon as the Thai bashers on this forum stop being apologists for their own countrymen.

You Thai bashers make big issues out of every observed fault you see in Thai people, while ignoring how screwed up your own society is.

If you have ever lived in the U.S. you are quite familiar with the problem of drivers not yielding to ambulances.

Is it because your home country is so wonderful and has such high morals, that you decided to come live here among "degenerates"?

Now, go ahead and tell me about how wonderful American, Australian and British society is. How caring and compassionate folks are.

I'll wait for that -- but pardon me if I don't hold my breath.

Here is the article in full:

Thai World

By Bart Walters

Often I speak to foreigners who have recently arrived and believe they have just set foot into utopia. I never, never comment as to their perception of Thai's, just listen with a smile. Like the poster of this article they always make the assumption you hate every Thai and Thailand if you make comments as above..

Love to read some more entertaining experiences.

He is definetly not telling it how it is.He is giving his opinion of how he thinks it is.

I agree with you. He's definitely not telling,how it really is.

He makes it sound mellow and dissolves the rigid truth!

Maybe he's scared to get butchered if he talks more facts and truth. (a very common way to answer, from far too many of the Buddha loving folk, if they realise a Farang could read them beyond their mask).

So not caring enough to move over and let an ambulance pass to help someone who is injured is a cultural thing that you think should be accepted?

You should stop being a Thai apologist and live by the rules of common human decency.

l promise to stop being a Thai apologist just as soon as the Thai bashers on this forum stop being apologists for their own countrymen.

You Thai bashers make big issues out of every observed fault you see in Thai people, while ignoring how screwed up your own society is.

If you have ever lived in the U.S. you are quite familiar with the problem of drivers not yielding to ambulances.

Is it because your home country is so wonderful and has such high morals, that you decided to come live here among "degenerates"?

Now, go ahead and tell me about how wonderful American, Australian and British society is. How caring and compassionate folks are.

Americans pull over for emergency vehicles. I don't know what you keep talking about. It's also the law. Did you see it happen a couple times and are just generalizing? It happens here every day. Every time. I should post a video. It's really bad.

The funny thing is, the savage peopl of Thailand respect Buddhism, so as long as time have infinite patience and are Never greedy or impose yourself other fight, you win. They have a metaphorical bomb waiting for anyone who dares act in an unbuddhist way, and that includes pointing the finger, full of anger. It takes insane delete discipline to keep good western values without HTML being linked to becoming angry and racist, but it's possible. Thailand is full of totally evil people, but the difference is in how they are dealt with by the good people. You need tolerance and a tight friend and family unit, you rely on others to make you happy here you get shat on. It's an oyster for those with balls and cultural understanding, and a rat trap or fish hook for those wishing to be evil. I think that extends to Thais. Thailand is not yet civilized, and they are a very interesting country with impossible contrasts and huge variety of situations. It's what you make it, and treat it like a western country and it will show that it is worth what you pay and the tiny amount of actual respect Thais get for attempting to abuse power, Here and overseas. They continue to break the laws of Buddhism and in a strange twist, respect the outcome of their failure. It makes me sad that I often profit off this failure.

blink.png Please don't drink and post.

The 'ambulances' here are nothing more than private taxis with red flashing lights and a siren. They work on commission and they all monitor the news, police and fire service radio waiting to here of an incident - then they all rush to the scene as they get a commission from the hospital if they bring in the injured person.

In 99% of cases the siren and lights is part of the race to get to the scene first to claim their 'prize'. There's no injured person in the back.

Thai's know this - so why move out of the way?

So it's of no importance for an ambulance to get to the scene of an accident in the fastest time possible and Thais are clairvoyants who can see what's inside the ambulance and what is the intention of the driver.

Man, you need urgent mental help.

Edited by JesseFrank
  • Like 1

I'll wait for that -- but pardon me if I don't hold my breath

I won't hold my breath for the reason you stay here. whistling.gif

Stupid IS what stupid DOES?

when your child makes a mistake? do u call them stupid too

Of course not, because in many societies children learn from their mistakes and progress intellectually and emotionally to become competent adults.

You think because we come from 1st world countries with problems we can't have an opinion on Thailand? Ludicrous. I have no desire to go back to my nanny state but it doesn't mean I can't see the reality of the Thai life.

No I do not think that because you come from a 1st world country with problems, you can't have an opinion on Thailand.

Just like I can have an opinion myself on certain opinions, that is the beauty of it.

The problem is that most Westerners tend to have an opinion on almost everything.

Even if it is based on pure ignorance, they still tend to know better and try to generalize all they see and hear.

To me, the question, why Thais think and behave a certain way, is the thing that is ludicrous.

Like they all think and act exactly the same and for the same reason just because OP describes a situation he has been in, and others recognize the situation.

By countering with describing a completely opposite situation (which a lot of people will also recognize) we just show that generalization is pretty stupid.

That was all I thought, for your info.

"Thailand already has difficulties keeping up with the human capital demand of 2012. The quality of our graduates is between mediocre and nearly useless."

"What kind of human capital do we want for the next generation? Do we want high quality knowledge workers and members of society or old-fashioned drones in the mold of the early 20th century? If we want the former, then we have to change the Thai education system—drastically and immediately. If we want the latter, well, we are already doing very well for that."

http://asiancorrespondent.com/77060/thai-education-failures-part-3-pisa-scores-and-a-challenge-for-the-21st-century/

article is by a Thai female

• Like 1

I don't know much about much but do know that where I live in the US the center of the roads clear out with everyone moving to the side as quickly and efficiently as possible at the noise of an ambulance siren.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Now back to your scheduled programming.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Of course not, because in many societies children learn from their mistakes and progress intellectually and emotionally to become competent adults.

u are lying to your self

YOU HIT THEM!!!

abuse of children is the core problem here

lets hear all the sick people deny this!!!

abuse begets abuse!!!

u are lying to your self

YOU HIT THEM!!!

abuse of children is the core problem here

lets hear all the sick people deny this!!!

abuse begets abuse!!!

You are correct in that abused children tend to become abusers themselves. I cannot argue this statement and fact.

The thing is the post and responses quoted are not about abuse, but about incompetence in thai society specifically. I cannot recall anything about alleged child abuse leading to incompetence in society in this thread.

My post above #137 with referenced factual article and data about failures of thai education may better suggest an etiology for incompetence than "hitting children" as you suggest.

Although child abuse no doubt exists in many if not all countries, thailand society places a very high importance on children. they even have signs on trains to give up seats for children.

Coming out with a somewhat hostile and irrelevant remark about "abuse" seems bizarre to me.

Perhaps your outburst like remark can serve to reinforce a theory that proposes that dementia afflicted foreign males can readily find seemingly warm acceptance amongst some thai families that receive financial assistance.

Edited by atyclb

I've been visiting Thailand every year since 1998 and lived here for four years. Many of the parts of this are true. You will get different views from holidaymakers to Ex-pat residents, and I am sure a very large amount of Thai's views towards Ex-pats are of wariness, as predominantly they know a hell of a lot more of the ways and means,culture's and mannerisms of Thailand and it's people than your average holidaymaker. Beware of 'Goldiggers'

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm what most will call a newbie. Have been coming to Thailand on a very regular basis for the past 5 years. I arrived as a mature sex tourist and much against my normal behavior fell in love with a bar girl. Yes Bar Girl. Well its 5 years later and I'm still with her (No she doesn't work Pattaya any longer) Yes its cost a small fortune, but hey! I'm still a happy camper.

What Bart Walters writes is in my opinion a very true reflection on Thai society in general. But I'm still happy here and I am going to make Thailand my home. Things is I'm aware of some of the short comings, the smile is so plastic and it is very very noticeable when you step onto a Thai fight to Thailand. Yes my relationship with my Thai wife would be over in seconds if the money stopped. (She says not but I don't believe) and yes the extended family tolerate me because my introduction has lifted them, not much but enough for them to tolerate me. Would they rush in and help someones whose house was on fire. Yes I think they might, but with a lot of expectation, for some form of compensation. So well captured, well written Mr Walters.

I'm still staying. Love it here. Love the fact I'm treated as a circus act. Trotted out on special occasions and shown off like a possession. Heh! Heh!. But when I go to bed at night its with a beautiful lady, half my age firm, tender and warm. Way Way better than any western lady. (Well that's my opinion)

Ill die here. and if called Ill fight for Thailand. The place is so wrong, it just right for me.

Rgds,

K1.

• Like 2

I don't know much about much but do know that where I live in the US the center of the roads clear out with everyone moving to the side as quickly and efficiently as possible at the noise of an ambulance siren.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Now back to your scheduled programming.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have lived all over the world, but only in Western countries, and no matter what country, everyone respected an emergency vehicle and pulled over. It is not only the law and common sense, but I'm sure they all feel like I do in that someone's life could be at stake and I need to pull over safely and immediately.

Common Sense, is something not that popular here.....

Well to generalise about an entire nation is a bit of a stretch. I also think people see what they want to see when faced the complexity of 60 million people. Perhaps the characteristics people see are reflection of their own views and prejudices on the many people they interact with. I do not see the same Thailand in most of the interactions I have with Thai people. Perhaps the author is a bit of grumpy sod and so that's what he sees. I have seen some selfish people - especially related to politics - but most people I've met in my 6 years of living and 20 years of visiting Thailand have been decent, caring people. Sent from my C6902 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Generalising?

I have lived here for years, drive many miles on the roads each day, in all that time I have never seen a Thai person pull over to let an ambulance past, they simply don't care about anything that does not have an immediate effect on them.

I have however lost count of the times I have seen Thai's block the path of an ambulance answering a call.

That is not generalising, that is pure fact!

Where I come from people always pull over,and give way to Ambulances,Fire engines,and even Police cars. The thinking behind it,is empathy for your fellow human being,who may be in such an emergency life or death situation,that a minute or two early arrival on the scene,may mean life or death for someone! while selfish behaviour,is not worth a moment of so called merit or reward.

And there may lie the controversal issue, i e if doing good is considered a merit,then failing to do good,(from selfishness must be a demerit!)

Edited by MAJIC
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

All extremes are bad.....in any country...in any culture....

In this world we live, thousand of children are starving and dying every day.

In Asia many people eat dogs.....

In the US billionaires donates millions to "rescue" dogs in luxury....

What is worst?

Your choice.