You're experience in Thailand same as this one?

dude123

Hi everyone,

If you have a minute or two, I would love to hear your comments after reading this artlice about living in Thailand http://www.escapefromamerica.com/2010/04/living-in-thailand-thai-world/

I'm thinking of retiring here too, but have only visited for two weeks over 10 years ago. Seems like the

guy who wrote the above article is a little bitter, but on the other hand, he still chooses to live in

Thailand. What do you think after reading it. Does he make sense?

From his coments, I think he's not so happy with his Wife, so he writes this article to blow off a little

steam and feel good about himself.

Edited by dude123

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I was only there two weeks, but overall, the Thai people seemed quite friendly and easy going. I could imagine if you are the boistierous type, you're not going to do to well there, but I'm pretty laid back and enjoyed my stay. DIdn't like the stray dogs snarling at me though all over the place biggrin.png

I know I was only there two weeks, but overall, the Thai people seemed quite friendly and easy going. I could imagine if you are the boistierous type, you're not going to do to well there, but I'm pretty laid back and enjoyed my stay. DIdn't like the stray dogs snarling at me though all over the place biggrin.png

People who are unhappy with their lives and the choices they've made, like the author of this piece, tend to strike out at those around them. All their problems are the fault of everyone else.

Didn't read the whole thing, but any adult who thinks strangers who smile at him are being anything other than polite whatever they may be thinking, is simply childish. Every culture or nationality has some set of behaviors that are deemed polite and which are employed when meeting customers or strangers in social settings. If he feels betrayed by the reality that not everyone, anywhere in the world, who smiles at him has fallen in love with him, then he ought not to be allowed to cross a street alone. They also tend to be the sort who thinks a woman who is totally out of their league really means it when she says:"You hansum man." Then they're totally stunned when it turns out ... surprise, surprise ... she didn't mean it.

A lot of people who choose to live in Thailand, especially in retirement, are trying to find some imaginary Eden that will mean a much better life for them than the sordid existence they've led so far. Usually they carry with them all the bitterness and unhappiness that they've nurtured for decades. When they realize that their misery has nothing to do with where they are, but is really all about who they are, and it finally sinks in that they can't escape from that reality, they just ramp up the bitterness and try to share it with everyone around them.

If you are a reasonably content person looking for a change and open to new experiences, Thailand can be a wonderful place, but how happy you'll be will still depend mostly on your own nature.

If you feel like you need to escape from a pathetic, unpleasant life by running to a place that will miraculous transform you into a cheery bon vivant loved by one and all without any effort on your part, it's probably better that you stay home and spend the money trying to buy happiness on familiar ground.

Most of the people here who are enjoying themselves would probably enjoy themselves wherever they chose to settle. Likewise, most of the chronic complainers will moan and whine wherever they are. If you choose to come to Thailand, try to keep your distance from the latter group. They are highly contagious.

Yes and this place is full of self-appointed experts, in every soi, on every street, they are always around, there to pass comment on everything under the sun.

Again, first laugh then ignore them. They don't need encouraging, they thrive on their own BS and will continue attempting to tell others that they really do have a point here on planet earth and that we should happily share our oxygen with them coffee1.gif

• Like 1

The funny thing is, the savage peopl of Thailand respect Buddhism, so as long as time have infinite patience and are Never greedy or impose yourself other fight, you win. They have a metaphorical bomb waiting for anyone who dares act in an unbuddhist way, and that includes pointing the finger, full of anger. It takes insane delete discipline to keep good western values without HTML being linked to becoming angry and racist, but it's possible. Thailand is full of totally evil people, but the difference is in how they are dealt with by the good people. You need tolerance and a tight friend and family unit, you rely on others to make you happy here you get shat on. It's an oyster for those with balls and cultural understanding, and a rat trap or fish hook for those wishing to be evil. I think that extends to Thais. Thailand is not yet civilized, and they are a very interesting country with impossible contrasts and huge variety of situations. It's what you make it, and treat it like a western country and it will show that it is worth what you pay and the tiny amount of actual respect Thais get for attempting to abuse power, Here and overseas. They continue to break the laws of Buddhism and in a strange twist, respect the outcome of their failure. It makes me sad that I often profit off this failure.

Well to generalise about an entire nation is a bit of a stretch. I also think people see what they want to see when faced the complexity of 60 million people. Perhaps the characteristics people see are reflection of their own views and prejudices on the many people they interact with. I do not see the same Thailand in most of the interactions I have with Thai people. Perhaps the author is a bit of grumpy sod and so that's what he sees. I have seen some selfish people - especially related to politics - but most people I've met in my 6 years of living and 20 years of visiting Thailand have been decent, caring people. Sent from my C6902 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Generalising?

I have lived here for years, drive many miles on the roads each day, in all that time I have never seen a Thai person pull over to let an ambulance past, they simply don't care about anything that does not have an immediate effect on them.

I have however lost count of the times I have seen Thai's block the path of an ambulance answering a call.

That is not generalising, that is pure fact!

You've made this point twice in this thread - and I believe that it's an example of trying to apply your experiences from home to a different situation.

In many countries the ambulance service is provided by the state and the ambulances are staffed by skilled paramedics who have either been dispatched by a central controller to an emergency or who are on their back to the hospital with the injured/sick person.

This is not the case in Thailand.

The 'ambulances' here are nothing more than private taxis with red flashing lights and a siren. They work on commission and they all monitor the news, police and fire service radio waiting to here of an incident - then they all rush to the scene as they get a commission from the hospital if they bring in the injured person.

In 99% of cases the siren and lights is part of the race to get to the scene first to claim their 'prize'. There's no injured person in the back.

Thai's know this - so why move out of the way?

I was near the scene of a major fire a while ago. I saw Thai's move out of the way of the fire service vehicles (who are a public service) but they did not move for the 'Blood Wagons". When I got to the scene on foot I counted 27 Blood Wagons blocking the road and they were preventing the fire service from reaching the scene as they had created their own traffic jam.

In the end there was, thankfully, only one casualty. One person died of smoke inhalation at the scene. No other injuries. 27 'ambulances'.

Edited by Familyonthemove
  • Like 1

Very good article and very accurate. I remember when I was new and completely enamoured with everything Thai and the people were so nice. Then reality began to settle in and I began to realize that all my Thai "friends" were only there when they were getting something from me...as soon as I served no purpose in their life they were gone, every single one of them! I still like it here but the rose coloured glasses have shattered. I am no longer interested in having any Thai friends. I have a good Thai wife and enjoy her extended family; that's all I need.

The people saying the article is too negative are just afraid of reality, stubbornly refusing to removed the rose coloured glasses. Just keep fooling yourselves!

prime example of my post, where else have you lived, apart from the UK?

The writer is very correct even though the piece is several years old. That does not change what he has said and It is correct today as it was when he wrote it. Many if not most Thais are hypocrites, insincere and above all inconsiderate of anyone but themselves.

Edited by kjun12
  • Like 1

Very good article and very accurate. I remember when I was new and completely enamoured with everything Thai and the people were so nice. Then reality began to settle in and I began to realize that all my Thai "friends" were only there when they were getting something from me...as soon as I served no purpose in their life they were gone, every single one of them! I still like it here but the rose coloured glasses have shattered. I am no longer interested in having any Thai friends. I have a good Thai wife and enjoy her extended family; that's all I need.

The people saying the article is too negative are just afraid of reality, stubbornly refusing to removed the rose coloured glasses. Just keep fooling yourselves!

I don't understand how you can take issue with my post. I am simply reporting my experience in Thailand. You don't have to like it but it's true.

• Like 1

I don't understand how you can take issue with my post. I am simply reporting my experience in Thailand. You don't have to like it but it's true.

Its not just your experience...one has to wonder about the truths in these rumors when you hear it all so often.

I hear it often from several expats with anything from 10 to 30 years here, experience with business of their own and working for others, speak thai fluently, some read and write fluently and I mean fluent, not just good every day conversational thai.

They all have the same complaints and this cannot be coincidence.

• Like 1

Well I am American living in Chicago and I have never seen disdainful uncaring civil servants running our police department or fire engines. giggle.gif It isn't like we have 100's of deaths a year and weekend killing sprees! clap2.gif We don't have self-centered righteous appointed nuts demanding they have guns all over the country. Oh wait we do!cheesy.gif One of the big problems with Ex-Pat's is the old saying, "Absence makes the heart grow fonder!" Thank God all of our big cities have excellent schools and lots of assessment to make sure our young people get decent educations. Our money isn't being thrown away. And of course all of our citizens are totally financially responsible. We didn't have millions of people taking loans on houses they couldn't afford and wouldn't be able to pay for without winning the lotto. And our businesses engage in the highest moral standards. They wouldn't cheat their workers out of wages and make them collect food stamps to eat. Well except for McDonald's and Walmart. Well that is the way it is in Chicago. I am sure! facepalm.gifxlaugh.png.pagespeed.ic.W9oTakjBs5.webp So before you go solving the problems of the world or the problems of Thailand have quite a look at your own backyard. No only does absence make the heart grow fonder of an idealized country with no problems at all, your memory of the real country fades pretty fast. Doesn't it? Nope. Nothing to see here! Move on! It makes your memory and analysis of your own country very weak. I hope this rant gives u something to chew on. w00t.gif I was in the same boat years ago as I was living in Bangkok for a year. Thank goodness some ex-Pat's pointed out the short comings of my country and told me to shut UP. I am now telling you.....

• Like 1