Dog wanted

May seem like a strange request, but I'm after a big dog. Fairly new to the forum, so I hope it's ok to make this sort of request.

In the process of buying some land to make a home and do a bit of 'hobby' farming. The dog is part of my security plan. An early warning system and, hopefully, a deterrent to unwanted late night visitors.

I'm in Kut Chap and have been advised to try the night market in Udon Thani.

But I don't really want to buy a puppy, I'd like a problem dog that someone is struggling with. Helping a struggling owner and dog seems better than putting money into the breeding puppies trade.

Less than 3 years old would be ideal.

Not after a specific breed, but poodles and labradors are not at the top of my list.

And when I say big, I mean Alsatian kinda size. No Great Danes please!

Edited by sean in udon
  • Like 1

I've only been here a couple of months, so I'm on a constant learning curve and appreciate the suggestions put forward.

bina, a very considered and informative response.

Yes, I am a dog person, and the long term plan is to have at least 2.

I chose the term 'problem dog' as it would mean different things to different people. Fortunately it got the kind of replies I was hoping for.

Edited by sean in udon

I have two Thai RIdgebacks,the female is due to birth in 3 weeks,these dogs are the best watch dogs I've ever owned,suited to the climate,easy maintainance,and carry the reputation that no Thai's want to go near them,will protect family and your property like no other dogs I know,have had staffys and pit bulls before but these dogs are by far the best.If your interested drop me a line the new pups wont be at the ridiculus prices the breeders ask.

• Like 2

I have two Thai RIdgebacks,the female is due to birth in 3 weeks,these dogs are the best watch dogs I've ever owned,suited to the climate,easy maintainance,and carry the reputation that no Thai's want to go near them,will protect family and your property like no other dogs I know,have had staffys and pit bulls before but these dogs are by far the best.If your interested drop me a line the new pups wont be at the ridiculus prices the breeders ask.

Have you any photos you could post of the ridgebacks

• Like 1

Have you any photos of the ridgebacks

These are my two Ridgebacks the boy is called Black Powder(blacky) and the girl is called Gun Smoke(smokey).And another thing I will add with this breed is that they are great snake dogs, no snakes get near the house without them attacking them,6 snakes last year and 2 allready this year

Beautiful looking dogs....

• Like 1

my lovely bullterrier bitch and her son still struggling with each other and it seems she is not as happy as before.now i am looking for a new home for her but just for someone who is willing to giver her a lot of love and attention.day time she is staying outside but in the night time she needs to sleep close to her owners.lovely dog good trained and a great guard.pm me if you are ineterested.

do you want me to move this to the vets /pets seciton, you might get more replies?

those ridgebacks are beautiful.. btw, do check out the thai village dogs.. they arent just mongrels... they are native dogs, perfectly adapted to their surroundings, almost no genetic problems (although prone to demodectic mange due to improper care)because theyare left to themselves , i saw them in action with my husband's father, hunting, and also around the house yard.

manyforeigners tend to dislike them because they seem to be/are ill behaved and run in packs in the villages but when taken care of i think they are perfect .

i saw one up for adoption maybe in chiangmai?somewhere here on the forum? or maybe on facebook? a female. ill try to find out...

• Like 2

i saw this in the carefordogs site in chiang mai on facebook:

"Are you looking for a cuddly teddy bear of a dog to keep you warm this season? Let us introduce...

Moo Daeng
This beauty of a big fella is eager for his new partner and place to call home. He is obviously an imposing char...acter and will do well with someone that is familiar with large dogs. He would be best suited to a place with no other male dogs at least, or children as he likes to run the show. He loves humans though and exercise is one of his favorite things, so we hope that he will bring fun and enjoyment to someone's life soon"

he looks to be a large thai dog... looks self confident, well built, basic fur, red in colour... his pic is on their site, from dog of the week january 5th. he doesnt look soft and cuddly , he is built like a canaan dog (the israeli native village type dog .maybe thats why i like his look), looks athletic, dominant (his tail in pic is straight up), but human friendly. just the kind for guarding house areas and yet getting along with family/friends. anyhow, good luck, check out their site, there are similar dog rescue sites in bangkok as well,

if so, go for a male and female or two females (females are often better guard dogs, as they dont wander, and theya re more home based and protective. JFYI).

• Like 2

i saw this in the carefordogs site in chiang mai on facebook:

"Are you looking for a cuddly teddy bear of a dog to keep you warm this season? Let us introduce...

Moo Daeng

This beauty of a big fella is eager for his new partner and place to call home. He is obviously an imposing char...acter and will do well with someone that is familiar with large dogs. He would be best suited to a place with no other male dogs at least, or children as he likes to run the show. He loves humans though and exercise is one of his favorite things, so we hope that he will bring fun and enjoyment to someone's life soon"

he looks to be a large thai dog... looks self confident, well built, basic fur, red in colour... his pic is on their site, from dog of the week january 5th. he doesnt look soft and cuddly , he is built like a canaan dog (the israeli native village type dog .maybe thats why i like his look), looks athletic, dominant (his tail in pic is straight up), but human friendly. just the kind for guarding house areas and yet getting along with family/friends. anyhow, good luck, check out their site, there are similar dog rescue sites in bangkok as well,

if so, go for a male and female or two females (females are often better guard dogs, as they dont wander, and theya re more home based and protective. JFYI).

You are better off with one male and one female. Two males are normally better together than two females. Female dogs are easier to control and train than males, but the reason I say two males over two females is they don't call females bitches for nothing. They do tend to fight with each other more than 2 males would. I bought them around the same time as puppies so they grew up together. It would possibly be harder and riskier introducing 2 older bitches together, that didn't know each other. But again, they all have their own personalities and not all are the same.

As Bina pointed out, bitches are normally more protective. But if you have two German Shepherds you want as guard dogs, I wouldn't be letting them get out of your property and roaming free, but have your property fenced with a fence high enough to keep them in. Not sure how big your property is, but then don't forget they will also need daily walks.

Of course if you had one of each sex, unless you want to breed from them, have them both desexed. Otherwise you must separate them each time when the bitch comes on heat if you don't want a litter at the time and they won't be the best for guarding your property then as they will have other things on their mind.

It is also much healthier for them having your bitches spayed as during heat they are more prone to infections.

I owned two German Shepherds bitches for thirteen years, both were highly trained with obedience titles. I trained them, attending the German Shepherd Dog Club weekly and sometimes biweekly all of their lives. Most of the time they were good together and best friends, but if one got jealous of the other for some reason, all hell would break loose.

My male German Shepherd I got after them was much more head strong, and a bit harder to train. Normally police in Australia use dogs as they are larger with bigger heads and therefore more threating. Females are more often used as rescue and tracking.

Good luck,

Edited by aussiebrian
  • Like 1

hmmm

there is always that debate about which two work well together. ive only had male + female; but with a threesome ive had two dogs and a bitch and the third dog actually moved himself out of the house to my in law's house and their male, as my female absolutely didnt allow the third male to move from his bed

... this time round also i have three, since my last female pup went to her new home (i had considered keeping her also but four in kind of one too many), my bitch, my male, and my bitch's son are in the house and so far there is some hassling going on but i control my older male's reactions and dont allow anything more then a show of dominance and that's it.i also keep food out only for 30 minutes of feeding and then remove so no food fights. full out fighting i dont allow; all our dogs are under us in teh house. they are house dogs and not yard dogs but still protective and warn without barking too much .

when i had yard dogs, we had also, two bitches and dog, and then at one time, reversed. it depends also on the breed as some breeds the bitches are more 'fight ' oriented with eachother and in some breeds the bitches very mcuh dominate the male ; in other breeds not so much.

in the primitive dogs from what i understand the bitches rule as it is in the best interests of the male to 'please' the female around breeding time, but this is all a discussion for an other day and one discussed in the far past on the forum.

in alsations there is the bigger and smaller size between the sexes, in boxers also; in thai dogs i didnt see much physical difference. in my lhasas, no difference in size really but much in action.

anyhow, fi adopting older dogs best to adopt either two that already work well together or know eachother, or a younger and older set, because until they settle in to new surroundings you wont be able to know their real personalites well; only after the settling in stage can u even think of turning them out to 'guard'; as they need to learn their areas, family/friends/roads/other dogs /cats... and only once they gain confidence will they actually 'work' unless this is their training from the very beginning.

usually the first few weeks dog is on best behavior or no outgoing behaviors; then comes the testing period, and only after, can he/she really be trusted to do what you are planning, unless you do some training/working ...

introducing a new dog to a dog that was recently adopted also , in my eyes, not a good idea. it kind of upsets the balance that the first dog is developing, having moved already from one environment to an other/

the other thing u have to remember since u are in issaan is to educate your dogs about chickens. NO CHICKEN CHASING.

it could mean the death by poison of your dogs. make very sure that whatever dogs you go for, they either get along with chickens or can be trained about grabbing and eating them.

my dog and bitch know better then to mess with our chickens or chicks even in the house; my last two lhasa pups OTH didnt know and (due to snow, the chicks were moved in to our salon for a week or so) ate our chicks ( i saw the legs hangin out of the mouth of my female who enjoyed stalking ) and my husband was furious for days. our male pup is now learning about chickens: no chasing, no mouthing, no barking, even if the chickens are loose in teh yard.

he is allowed to bark when he hears foxes/rats/other predators; he is allowed to warn when people come to the door.

• Like 1

These are my two Ridgebacks the boy is called Black Powder(blacky) and the girl is called Gun Smoke(smokey).And another thing I will add with this breed is that they are great snake dogs, no snakes get near the house without them attacking them,6 snakes last year and 2 allready this year

are they good with kids

I had no idea that such a simple request was going to tap into a wealth of knowledge about dogs.

"...honestly can't fault this breed but then again I think most dog problems come from there owners."

coobah666, absolutely agree with you.

do you want me to move this to the vets /pets seciton, you might get more replies?

those ridgebacks are beautiful.. btw, do check out the thai village dogs.. they arent just mongrels... they are native dogs, perfectly adapted to their surroundings, almost no genetic problems (although prone to demodectic mange due to improper care)because theyare left to themselves , i saw them in action with my husband's father, hunting, and also around the house yard.

manyforeigners tend to dislike them because they seem to be/are ill behaved and run in packs in the villages but when taken care of i think they are perfect .

i saw one up for adoption maybe in chiangmai?somewhere here on the forum? or maybe on facebook? a female. ill try to find out...

If you think the vets/pets section is a better place, I am happy to trust your judgement.

I'm a little disappointed Moo Daeng isn't readily available locally as Chiangmai is a bit of a trip from Kut Chap, but I appreciate the effort you've put in to help.

Edited by sean in udon

If you are not particularly set on having a specific breed, then like others have mentioned, go for a rescue center dog.

You can select one that meets your criteria ie age, size and temperament. Most of the mix breed Soi dogs are super intelligent and very loyal.

Before you know it, you will have a friend for life.

My Thai Bangkeaw is my best mate.. He is a liability, which is why he is always tied up. But I wouldn't change him for anything.

Good luck in your quest.

Thought I'd give an update. I did a 140km round trip and came back with an American Staffordshire bull terrier. I was expecting to see a mastiff but Am Staff somehow got lost in translation - amongst English speakers :)

I' m pleased though. He's an adoption, is a bit thin and needs his 'happy tail' looking at, but 1st impressions are lovely temperament and intelligent - as expected for the breed.

Hope the happiness continues (for both of us) when he's at full strength and the 1st couple of weeks 'honeymoon' period is over.

nice dogs staffies, but usually not guard dogs...they are people dogs, but not cat lvoers or dog lovers... and usually not barkers either... but looks will do the job also

hope u checked out his background with kids and people... and also his bite inhibition.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update. The locals are terrified of him, based purely on the size of his head :)

His behaviour thus far has been excellent. Not very good with other dogs, but we're doing our best to modify that and he is improving.

He's not much of a barker, except when the bin men come. As they are working just outside our gate, he lets them know he's not happy with them. A good sign, I think.

With the family he's just happy. Not food aggressive. No mouthing or biting. I hope I'm not tempting fate saying this, but I think I dropped really lucky and found a good one.

And his happy tail is healing nicely, even though he looks like he's going to fall over sometimes, it's going so furiously.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand