Human Rights Watch urges Thai govt protection for protesters

webfact

Human Rights Watch urges govt protection for protesters
By Digital Content

13902685506573.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 21 – The Thai government and police cannot stay put and deny responsibility in light of escalating violence at anti-government rallies, according to Human Rights Watch.

Sunai Phasuk, a senior researcher on Thailand at Human Rights Watch, urged the government to provide security to protesters without bias and that police should urgently investigate a series of attacks against demonstrations which resulted in deaths and injuries.

He said the government, police and protesters should coordinate and trust each other in mapping safety measures at rally sites.

Mr Sunai met protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban yesterday during his observation at the Pathumwan rally site of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC).

He said attacks are currently not limited to nighttime and violence at rallies has been reported since late last year but police have not made progress in their investigation.

The Thai authorities have made no arrests of perpetrators of violence since the demonstrations by the People’s Democratic Reform Committee until now, he said, indicating that the situation should improve if police gain trust from the public. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-01-21

How about protection *from* protesters?

What incidents of shootings and bombings are being perpetrated by the protestors?

Maybe you refer to sound pollution from mass whistle-blowing? 'Damn those people, blowing a whistle on the mass corruption of the PTP Government' (TIC)

• Like 2

If the protests were as they were when it came to the amnesty bill I would have agreed however after mobster tactics, forcing people out of the buildings by threats and violence, they have lost these rights. Gangster wannabees crying foul for not getting enough protection while enacting criminal acts... well boo-frikking-hoo...

There can be no protection for the protesters at their current locations. The government must offer alternative locations that can be better secured. Such locations should also seek to not impede the flow of transportation and commerce.

Both sides should meet immediately to determine suitable sites.

(Might suggest the Brooklyn Bridge...)

Sunai is too close to the main players in the Democratic Party/PRDC to be objective about this situation. He should have the ethical fortitude to recuse himself from covering the current events in Thailand. Yes, there has been violence against the protestors. But the protestors have also violated the rights of ordinary Thai citizens and civil servants. Freedom of association is being blatantly disregarded as is 'extrajudicial' actions by the PDRC security. I would sincerely hope that the HRW officials in New York would look at the situation and produce an objective overview.

Well give him his due , he did step up to the plate to criticise the NHRC 2010 report "Descent into Chaos"

“The report criticised how the UDD protesters violated the law, but failed to criticise the government when it exceeds the boundary of the law by using military force against the protesters, which resulted in the deaths of nearly 100 people,” said Mr. Sunai.

Mr. Sunai believed that both issues deserve equal attention, particularly when there are proves that soldiers perched on such higher ground were responsible for deaths of 2 volunteer medics and 4 other civilians in Wat Pathumwanaram Temple, as the court inquest ruled recently.

Moreover, Mr. Sunai said that the NHRC was determined to believe that there are members of ‘the Black Shirt’ militants among the protesters and spent much of the report talking about the shadowy group. But at the same time, it avoided mentioning the existence of the snipers, who had been positioned on top of many buildings.

http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM05qSXpOVGN4TWc9PQ==&subcatid=

Perhaps his boss, Brad Adams (no friend of the Shinawatras or associates), got upset and told him to "balance" things up a little whistling.gif

HUMAN RIGHTS WATCH
Govt protection for protesters urged : HRW

BANGKOK: -- The Thai government and police cannot deny responsibility in light of escalating violence at anti-government rallies, Sunai Phasuk, a senior researcher on Thailand at Human Rights Watch, said on Tuesday.

Sunai urged the government to provide security to protesters without bias and the police to urgently investigate a series of attacks against demonstrations, which have resulted in deaths and injuries.

He added that the government, the police and protesters should coordinate and trust each other in mapping out safety measures at rally sites.

Sunai met protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban on Monday while observing the Pathumwan rally site of the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC).

He noted that attacks are currently not limited to night-time and that violence at rallies has been reported since late last year. However, the police have not made progress in their investigations.

The Thai authorities have made no arrests of perpetrators of violence since the beginning of the demonstrations by the People's Democratic Reform Committee, he said, indicating that the situation could improve if police gained the trust of the public.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-21

What incidents of shootings and bombings are being perpetrated by the protestors?

Maybe you refer to sound pollution from mass whistle-blowing? 'dam_n those people, blowing a whistle on the mass corruption of the PTP Government' (TIC)

Did u know not everybody follwos the undemocratic yellow dirt?How about the people who like to go work but can't?how about the people who need urgent documents from any amper,how about the people who need to work but can't because streets are blocked,how about the people who voted for ptp?any answers?

note that this title isnt "Human Rights Watch urges protesters to respect Democracy"- makes one wonder, obviously Democracy isnt a major consideration when the Reds can be/ are voted in. Human Rights Watch being of course a major western funded propaganda machine. reminds me of a quote from a staunch britisher "if we dont win the democratic election it is not democratic". "we" as in the local party bought, propagandarised, and paid for by the west.

What are you talking about?

Protecting their right to free passage without having a million whistles blown in their ears? Protecting their right to be able to go to work unhindered? protecting their right to vote? protecting their right to a nights sleep? Protecting them from the bombs etc?

Sunai is too close to the main players in the Democratic Party/PRDC to be objective about this situation. He should have the ethical fortitude to recuse himself from covering the current events in Thailand. Yes, there has been violence against the protestors. But the protestors have also violated the rights of ordinary Thai citizens and civil servants. Freedom of association is being blatantly disregarded as is 'extrajudicial' actions by the PDRC security. I would sincerely hope that the HRW officials in New York would look at the situation and produce an objective overview.

Well give him his due , he did step up to the plate to criticise the NHRC 2010 report "Descent into Chaos"

“The report criticised how the UDD protesters violated the law, but failed to criticise the government when it exceeds the boundary of the law by using military force against the protesters, which resulted in the deaths of nearly 100 people,” said Mr. Sunai.

Mr. Sunai believed that both issues deserve equal attention, particularly when there are proves that soldiers perched on such higher ground were responsible for deaths of 2 volunteer medics and 4 other civilians in Wat Pathumwanaram Temple, as the court inquest ruled recently.

Moreover, Mr. Sunai said that the NHRC was determined to believe that there are members of ‘the Black Shirt’ militants among the protesters and spent much of the report talking about the shadowy group. But at the same time, it avoided mentioning the existence of the snipers, who had been positioned on top of many buildings.

http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM05qSXpOVGN4TWc9PQ==&subcatid=

Perhaps his boss, Brad Adams (no friend of the Shinawatras or associates), got upset and told him to "balance" things up a little whistling.gif

Given their history of HR violations is it any wonder Brad Adams doesn't want to be their friend? But, to slur that he allows this to bias his professional view is typical of a PTP/Thaksin/Shin Clan supporter. Don't judge everyone else by their standards. Most people no the difference between truth and lies.

note that this title isnt "Human Rights Watch urges protesters to respect Democracy"- makes one wonder, obviously Democracy isnt a major consideration when the Reds can be/ are voted in. Human Rights Watch being of course a major western funded propaganda machine. reminds me of a quote from a staunch britisher "if we dont win the democratic election it is not democratic". "we" as in the local party bought, propagandarised, and paid for by the west.

And which staunch Britisher would that be?

Which democratic loving free country are you from again?

HRW - is not a propagandist organization. But, they do recognize HR violations and those responsible. Even those who think they are above and beyond the law.

I would hope that these Western governments, mine (UK) included would do a little bit of homework and see what this government is really like instead of pandering to their - 'we woz elected good and proper crap' that they spout out all to frequently!!!

I'm beginning to wonder whether the West knows what true democracy is!!! After all, for how long has ignoring democratic principles and corruption been a part of democracy??

• Like 1

Thailand doesn't have democracy, the protestors want to get rid of Taksin and his cronies so that there is an outside chance Thailand could actually have a real democracy...

• Like 1

Maybe you refer to sound pollution from mass whistle-blowing? 'dam_n those people, blowing a whistle on the mass corruption of the PTP Government' (TIC)

Did u know not everybody follwos the undemocratic yellow dirt?How about the people who like to go work but can't?how about the people who need urgent documents from any amper,how about the people who need to work but can't because streets are blocked,how about the people who voted for ptp?any answers?
FYI, I do not follow 'undemocratic yellow dirt', and saw myself what happened in a far-more volatile situation in 2010. I chose to leave Thailand after this bunch 'won' the elections in 2011.

I also don't agree with Suthep's protest methods.... The real game changers will come through legal actions later, anyway. There is no need to stoop to levels which the reds used (although at least it has been more threat than actual violence from the faction currently protesting).

However, I do wish to see that such a blatantly and arrogantly corrupt bunch should see justice served to them.

And, before you further the politicized statement about going to work, nobody is stopping that this time around. You may notice how sparse the crowds are during the day, and how much more they swell in evening..... after workers that have finished their day's work are going to join in the protests.

Sorry if the protests have affected you personally in any way, I suffered inconveniences myself in incidents in 2008, 2009 and 2010, so I do understand. Now, back to what I said above.... we're talking about a few thousand whistle-blowing folk during the day time, not barricades of bamboo spikes & tyres, doused in petrol (as Seh Daeng set up), and grenades flung into passing public. The majority (not all) of violence has been against the protestors, not perpetrated by them, which was the point I was making

Edited by patjem
  • Like 1

Richard Barrow ‏@RichardBarrow 3h

After covering up the CCTV cameras at Victory Monument, the protesters are now putting up their own (Pic @Phop_NTV) pic.twitter.com/VWgYyrlq9G

8M2Ffhe.jpg

Some accused the Police of having covered up the cameras, if they did why isn't this guy taking the covers off?

These are not camera's, they're holographic projectors designed to project 6 million people into a single frame, thus proving that the whole city is constantly "occupied"