low/no sugar musli

h90

I want to start to eat musli.

---> Supermarket, there are 1000 different muslis.

All I checked have sugar added, even the "no sugar" musli have sugar added (the usual tricks, no sugar but grape concentrate, fructose sirup or similar ways to add sugar without naming it).

To make it worse on many the Thai sticker is over the other language labels (I could read it in German, English, Dutch, partially in other languages, but not Thai).

I even saw one that had extra fat added crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif . Musli with extra fat and extra sugar is for what? For fatten pigs? Or for people who work in Novosibirsk in Winter?

sugar content, either hidden in carbohydrates, per serving size, per complete musli with milk, etc etc, you would have to start an excel sheet to get the point.

anyone did research already and can recommend a brand/product with at least low sugar content?

I don't care much about the taste, but I don't want to mix it myself. I prefer Organic but take what I can with.

In Pattaya there are few brands that I think really do have no or low sugar in the cereal but you also have to check the dried fruit. I think the dried fruit is prepared with sugar, even raisins. You can pretty much tell by tasting the fruit. Also keep in mind the cereal is processed with a lot of oil and it's not a low fat food. Overall I agree the choice of grain cereals without sugar in Thailand is very limited and also very expensive. An exception would be oatmeal, easily available and cheap enough, and some other whole grains you can cook porridge style. You also of course can make your own muesli.

Edited by Jingthing

I use muesli, Lowans actually, pick out the raisins, but just use a very limited amount for flavor and texture. I also add a limited amount of another no sugar cereal like wheat biscuits, chopped fruit, seven almonds, and diluted low fat no sugar yogurt. Delicious.

• Like 1

In Pattaya there are few brands that I think really do have no or low sugar in the cereal but you also have to check the dried fruit. I think the dried fruit is prepared with sugar, even raisins. You can pretty much tell by tasting the fruit. Also keep in mind the cereal is processed with a lot of oil and it's not a low fat food. Overall I agree the choice of grain cereals without sugar in Thailand is very limited and also very expensive. An exception would be oatmeal, easily available and cheap enough, and some other whole grains you can cook porridge style. You also of course can make your own muesli.

yes some dried fruits are added only for the purpose of not declaring sugar.....that trick was already old 15 years ago....

I was thinking of something high carbs, but mostly slow one, low fat. I had in my mind that musli is oatmeal, other cereals and added things to make it taste good. And that very cheap.....

Seems I thought very wrong.....

Look for Lowans brand (Australia), if you can find the one that doesn't have fruit in it the sugar content is very low, ditto their oatmeal.

Another option is the fruit free musili below but not easy to find and expensive:

http://www.mornflake.com/product-range/muesli/nut-muesli.aspx

Do you if any of the chains here carry it, like Big C, Lotus, Central, The Mall?

Look for Lowans brand (Australia), if you can find the one that doesn't have fruit in it the sugar content is very low, ditto their oatmeal.

Another option is the fruit free musili below but not easy to find and expensive:

Do you if any of the chains here carry it, like Big C, Lotus, Central, The Mall?

I get mine from Rimping supermarkets which is local to Chiang Mai, JT or others may know which other supermarkets stock the product elsewhere.

Hahne has a nut muesli sold at Villa, Foodland and other farang type markets in Thailand that, according to its label, has no added sugar or any syrups or malt extracts. Just grains, sultanas and nuts.

It's sold in 1 Kg bags usually for 170-180b per bag.

It used to be labeled in English as "grape nut muesli". But recently, for who knows what reason, they've changed the package labeling to German and it now reads "Trauben-Nuss / Sultanas-Nut."

It has a complete ingredients list on the back of the package in both German and English that always visible, and is listed as "Made in Germany."

The nutrition label says 9.1g of sugar content per 100g serving.

Hahne has a nut muesli sold at Villa, Foodland and other farang type markets in Thailand that, according to its label, has no added sugar or any syrups or malt extracts. Just grains, sultanas and nuts.

It used to be labeled in English as "grape nut muesli". But recently, for who knows what reason, they've changed the package labeling to German and it now reads "Trauben-Nuss / Sultanas-Nut."

It has a complete ingredients list on the back of the package in both German and English that always visible, and is listed as "Made in Germany."

I think I may had this in my hands today.....I can read it in German and English, but most probably they put a Thai sticker over both languages in a farang type market crazy.gif

9.1 g of sugar in 100g serving (which includes some moisture) sounds a lot, but I can't really compare. Can anyone comment on that? Is this much?

I guess it comes from the grapes.

I think I may had this in my hands today.....I can read it in German and English, but most probably they put a Thai sticker over both languages in a farang type market crazy.gif

9.1 g of sugar in 100g serving (which includes some moisture) sounds a lot, but I can't really compare. Can anyone comment on that? Is this much?

Yes, 9.1 is high, the link I posted earlier shows 5.4 per 100g and even that is not low. My experience of hanh is that they have some good products but they are not type II friendly.

musli.jpg

The one i used to use.

For the Hahne nut muesli, if one was concerned about diabetes issues, I'd assume you could just pick out the sultanas... and then the only remaining ingredients would be the grains and nuts. There really aren't that many in the mix, although the label I believe says 12+%.

The English nutrition label, BTW, is always visible on the back of the package. Unlike with some other products, the Thai label is not affixed in a way to cover the original labeling.

For the Hahne nut muesli, if one was concerned about diabetes issues, I'd assume you could just pick out the sultanas... and then the only remaining ingredients would be the grains and nuts. There really aren't that many in the mix, although the label I believe says 12+%.

The English nutrition label, BTW, is always visible on the back of the package. Unlike with some other products, the Thai label is not affixed in a way to cover the original labeling.

To be honest I am not worried about diabetes anymore but i stopped eating this and went a bit lower carb. Even while eating this I still had good blood values but everyone handles stuff differently.

musli.jpg

The one i used to use.

yes, that's the sister product (multi-fruit muesli) to their nut muesli. The two packages and their labeling looks very similar, but they are two very different products.

The multi fruit mueslin contains about double the amount of sugars per 100g serving at 15.6 grams, compared to their nut muesli.

The multi fruit muesli tastes fine and is priced about the same. But unlike the nut muesli, it contains a lot of other ingredients that I don't want like barley malt extract and added sugar, in addition to a much higher content of dried fruits.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I get mine from Rimping supermarkets which is local to Chiang Mai, JT or others may know which other supermarkets stock the product elsewhere.

I don't recognize that product/label from any of the major markets around BKK. But I'll take a closer look now.

Here's the front and back images for the Hahne nut muesli:

attachicon.gif2014-01-21 22.35.22.jpg attachicon.gif2014-01-21 22.35.39.jpg

It's pretty regularly available at Foodlands, Villas and even the farang neighborhood Tesco stores around BKK.

Next time ill look for that product.. though i cut down the number of meals a day i use carbs to 1 instead of 2 and i prefer oats in the morning over musli.

Commercial meusli is a rather high calorie food even with NO sugar in it. I do still use it, but very small amounts.

Yes...seems my idea was wrong....I thought having a small musli in the morning with protein and low fat milk is a healthy way to get some carbs for filling up my muscles.

And it doesn't require any work in the morning, when I am still half sleeping.

Maybe better I make myself a fried egg and eat it with bread and forget the musli idea.

Commercial meusli is a rather high calorie food even with NO sugar in it. I do still use it, but very small amounts.

Yes...seems my idea was wrong....I thought having a small musli in the morning with protein and low fat milk is a healthy way to get some carbs for filling up my muscles.

Maybe better I make myself a fried egg and eat it with bread and forget the musli idea.

It certainly would be higher in proteins and such.. I never take musli in the morning just oatmeal.. easy to make 3 min zap in the microwave.

It certainly would be higher in proteins and such.. I never take musli in the morning just oatmeal.. easy to make 3 min zap in the microwave.

Well the musli with a big fat spoon of protein might be equal to the egg in protein content.

Oatmeal is eaten hot? I didn't even know that.....

I'll look into that.....

Well the musli with a big fat spoon of protein might be equal to the egg in protein content.

Oatmeal is eaten hot? I didn't even know that.....

I'll look into that.....

I eat it hot like a porridge. I take 200ml milk with 60 gr oatmeal.. mix it then zap it in the microwave. I take an protein shake with it for the protein content.

• Like 1

Do you use instant or quick cooking?

The slow cooking type is considered better nutritionally but it's too much a bother for me.

I use quick cooking.

I used to eat oatmeal more but for some reason I got bored with it.

I used to top it with some soy milk but I decided to cut down on soy milk and switch to yogurt. I don't like regular milk, to me that's for children. Oatmeal with yogurt is kind of nasty.

The slow cooking type is considered better nutritionally but it's too much a bother for me.

I use quick cooking.

I used to top it with some soy milk but I decided to cut down on soy milk and switch to yogurt. I don't like regular milk, to me that's for children. Oatmeal with yogurt is kind of nasty.

Quick cooking.. I used to buy some other packs with scottish oats (liked them more) but for some reason some of the boxes the quality was not good. So I went back to Quakers and their tin air sealed boxes (blue ones). Taste wise i liked the others more but just hated it if i had a box that was not good anymore (moisture or something they were in cardboard boxes).

To be honest JT I am a bit of an extremist food wise. I take those veggie juices I make and they are not "nice" to drink so far the people i have had them taste all said "screw your health drink". I am similar with my oats.. its an easy quick meal and i don't get bored with it. That does not mean I don't like nice foods.. but often because of my busy work i just don't give myself the time for it.

I actually like oatmeal but not with yogurt. So that's why I'm into my current mix which uses some meusli. The oatmeal would probably be better! I've been meaning to try out cooking real oats in a rice cooker and see how that goes. But then you have to clean it! I also stock Quaker quick oats in the tin.

I use quick cooking.

yes.....sounds pretty boring with milk and worse with yoghurt.

I came looking forward to happily eat some musli in the morning......I leave by not eating oatmeal with milk......

My breakfast options so far:

fried chicken breast (fried without oil) with tomatoes and a slice of bread

or

3 eggs fried with onion and tomatoes or maybe with some slices of pork or chicken breast and a slice of bread

after 2 days that is so boring that I better don't eat.....All my life I never ate breakfast....