Where to go during burning season?

kanela

If living in Chiang Mai, where are the best places to go during the burning season to get away from the smoke and how long would I need to be gone?? Kind of stinks to think you would have to loose your apt. every year to leave for 3-4 months then have to come back and hunt down a new apt.! Any ideas? How do people do it over there?

All agricultural areas have some burning times, but you don't hear about it being so intense and widespread in other places, certainly never came across it in years of travelling through other areas of Thailand, nor Cambodia.

Personally I'd recommend waiting until there's actually a problem for yourself, many people aren't that bothered by it, so many variables involved.

In your particular spot, you may find a week travelling not too far enough to miss the worst of it, play it by ear.

• Like 1

"Kind of stinks to think you would have to loose your apt. every year to leave for 3-4 months then have to come back and hunt down a new apt.! Any ideas? How do people do it over there?"

The burning is never so bad that buildings burn down. It can start as early as mid-February but in good years is over by late March. in bad years it can last another month. Your apartment will still be there when the rains start.

You can go anywhere in the world to avoid the burning season here. Just avoid northern Thailand, all of Laos and much of Myanmar.

"Kind of stinks to think you would have to loose your apt. every year to leave for 3-4 months then have to come back and hunt down a new apt.! Any ideas? How do people do it over there?"

The burning is never so bad that buildings burn down. It can start as early as mid-February but in good years is over by late March. in bad years it can last another month. Your apartment will still be there when the rains start.

You can go anywhere in the world to avoid the burning season here. Just avoid northern Thailand, all of Laos and much of Myanmar.

It might not burn your apartment down but it can have a serious effect on your health. It's not just the stubble they burn but also plastic and rubbish that becomes trapped in a temperature inversion. So the smoke and poisons stay close to the ground.

You are breathing in all sorts of toxic poisons.

Just look at cataract problems in old people. Come to that take a look at how many dogs have serious eye problems.

• Like 1

It might not burn your apartment down but it can have a serious effect on your health. It's not just the stubble they burn but also plastic and rubbish that becomes trapped in a temperature inversion. So the smoke and poisons stay close to the ground.

You are breathing in all sorts of toxic poisons.

Just look at cataract problems in old people. Come to that take a look at how many dogs have serious eye problems.

lol... I didn't mean I would loose my apartment from burning. I meant having to leave for 3-4 months during the burning season and having to give up the lease to live somewhere else during that time. I don't know about you but I can't afford to rent two places at one time or am I missing something? And I do agree about the hazards of the smoke.

Edited by kanela

As one poster mentioned why live in CM as nothing special - move to another town

Agree. I can understand people with severe health issues. But it's not like you can't walk outside during burning season. I tend to spend a little less time outdoors if it's really bad, but honestly, not a huge deal. If it's a problem where one has to leave 3-4 months out of the year, every year, I'd say you're much better off to just move away permanently. Or is that not possible?

Simple. Keep paying your rent while you're away. The burning season is a good excuse to go home and see family and friends. If you don't want to do that then further south seems to be the direction in which you should head.

We went away from Chiang Mai last year and headed south...actually the pollution was everywhere, except in Samui. Even Hua Hin has quite bad air pollution. It is the PM10 levels you have to watch and they get staggeringly high in Thailand. Mae Hong Son seems to be the worst, but many provinces are still quite terrible.

There's a few farangs I've known here married to substantially younger wives and the wives died first from cancers, due to living in Thailand for too long I guess. Chiang Mai has some of the world's worst statistics on lung cancer.

Air pollution is a major problem in Thailand and I would rate air pollution as the worst thing about living in Chiang Mai.

Serious question.

I have lived in CM about six years.

In 2011 smoke was very bad and I ended up three nights in hospital on drip and supplementary oxygen.

Left for the coast, Sihanoukville, and symptoms cleared after a few days.

Stayed in SHVL for about five weeks but became depressed towards the end as I became more aware of the suffering of many in Cambodia.

Believe escape to anywhere on the coast will be effective.

Or time visit to home country to coincide with smoke season.

See : aqicn.org/map/thailand/

This gives map showing air quality monitoring sites and real time air quality readings. Plus lots of information about atmospheric air pollution.

The masks advertised on the site are grossly over priced.

This year for various reasons will try to stay in CM over the smoky season.

Plan for when pollution levels from CM monitoring site go red:

Keep my small condo flat closed as much as possible.

Use portable m mains power air filter unit to clean air inside flat.

Will monitor air quality and not go out on days that are very bad.

When I do go out will wear 2.5 rating mask (see URL above for info on masks).

The simple cloth masks may be worse than useless.

2.5 rated masks available from 3M agent on LH side Wualai road going away from the moat.

There is a large PHILLIPS sign on the front of the building.

Do shopping and meet friends in air conditioned buildings.

Will avoid exercise and long walks outdoors.

At first sign of distress will head for the coast.

Note that the particles are so fine that they may not induce coughing but pass through biological barriers into the blood to give symptoms like flu and hence you may not realise that air pollution is the cause of the problem. Air pollution in CM can and does kill susceptible people.

Would be grateful for any comments on this topic.

I am not sure but think I can remember reading an article where the government was trying to stop the burning

anyone else hear about this? and if so what is Happening

I love Chiang Mai but will not live there due to this anual burning

Chiang Mai has the second-highest lung cancer rate in the world, according to Professor Sumittra Thongprasert from the Medical Ecology Department of Chiang Mai University - and higher than any other region of Thailand.
Chiang Mai had higher concentrations than Bangkok - in most cases far higher concentrations. More specifically, Chiang Mai's level of particulates of less than 10 microns (In 1999, 45% of Chiang Mairesidents suffered from respiratory problems, according to Duangchan Charoenmuang, who has studied Chiang Mai's air at the Urban Development Institute Foundation. As for ultra-small particles - the The broader Air Quality Index (AQI) is a measure of most known air pollutants. The AQI is frequently elevated above dangerous levels in Chiang Mai, on and off, for several months of the year - usually the January -March "burning season", but frequently longer. The city's AQI readings are more often than not higher than those of other Thai cities, including Bangkok
So my advice would be to monitor the air pollution and when the Air Quality Index goes red - time to leave for the coast and get some real fresh sea air ( Even tourist places like Phuket offer guest house rates starting at 200 Baht for long term stays ( 6-8 weeks )
Much of the pollution in Chian Mai is coming from Southern China where all the main industrial cites are located - if you want to see what real air pollution is check out the link below :

We were going to head up there next month before we realized just how bad the burning season is, so we're heading to Malaysia for a bit before coming back up. It works for us for a bunch of reasons, but if it is still a thing by next year, I'd go to the beaches anywhere.

Serious question.

I have lived in CM about six years.

In 2011 smoke was very bad and I ended up three nights in hospital on drip and supplementary oxygen.

Left for the coast, Sihanoukville, and symptoms cleared after a few days.

Stayed in SHVL for about five weeks but became depressed towards the end as I became more aware of the suffering of many in Cambodia.

Believe escape to anywhere on the coast will be effective.

Or time visit to home country to coincide with smoke season.

See : aqicn.org/map/thailand/

This gives map showing air quality monitoring sites and real time air quality readings. Plus lots of information about atmospheric air pollution.

The masks advertised on the site are grossly over priced.

This year for various reasons will try to stay in CM over the smoky season.

Plan for when pollution levels from CM monitoring site go red:

Keep my small condo flat closed as much as possible.

Use portable m mains power air filter unit to clean air inside flat.

Will monitor air quality and not go out on days that are very bad.

When I do go out will wear 2.5 rating mask (see URL above for info on masks).

The simple cloth masks may be worse than useless.

2.5 rated masks available from 3M agent on LH side Wualai road going away from the moat.

There is a large PHILLIPS sign on the front of the building.

Do shopping and meet friends in air conditioned buildings.

Will avoid exercise and long walks outdoors.

At first sign of distress will head for the coast.

Note that the particles are so fine that they may not induce coughing but pass through biological barriers into the blood to give symptoms like flu and hence you may not realise that air pollution is the cause of the problem. Air pollution in CM can and does kill susceptible people.

Would be grateful for any comments on this topic.

Great info thanks!!

I moved back to the UK with the family from CM for the kids schooling, the bonus was we could visit Thailand when it had good air and peace ruled once more. OK, it's not all good but it sure is better than it was.

The air is fresh and clean in Udon... No crowded tourist traps and much less congestion. No burning here, like you folks have. They respect the environment much more.

"..Respect the environment", ahem! Well northerners also respect the environment except incomes and livelihood come first, the worst problem however is that residents can dio little about airborne pollution that drifts here from southern China and Laos, methinks Udon has similar if not exact problems, despite their love of all things natural and good!

• Like 1

The 'burning season in Chiang Mai' is the result of burning throughout northern Thailand, Laos, and Myanmar which can even be seen from satellite images. The city of Chiang Mai itself can be bad due to it's topography and the adherent pollution of any built up area but otherwise the effects are similar throughout the north of the country where Mae Hong Song actually had the worst figures last season. There have been various attempts to get the local ruling PT mandarins to instigate one of their 'crackdowns' but sadly it appears they have more pressing issues.

If you live away from the city itself as we do it is barely noticeable most of the time and it certainly doesn't last for 3-4 months! If it did we wouldn't still be here.

• Like 1

I am not sure but think I can remember reading an article where the government was trying to stop the burning

anyone else hear about this? and if so what is Happening

I love Chiang Mai but will not live there due to this anual burning

There are articles and talk all the time. But that's all it is -- talk. If the govt really wanted to end the burning and eliminate much of the cause of the pollution, they easily could.

Are you really that unimaginative? The rest of Thailand and the world are outside of northern-Thailand burning area and you can choose for yourself where you want to go.

Edited by HerbalEd