Doi Inthanon sees biggest occurrence of frost in years

CMfoodie

CHIANG MAI, 23 January 2014 (NNT) – The intense high pressure cell covering upper Thailand has caused frost to return in many areas of the North and Northeast, where temperatures have dropped to near zero.

The mercury hit 0 degrees Celsius on Doi Inthanon peak in Chiang Mai on Wednesday morning. The temperature right above the ground reached an annual low of minus 4 degrees Celsius, triggering widespread frost that fascinated the tourists who visited the peak on Wednesday. Wednesday's frost on Doi In thanon was reportedly the most intense in years.

http://thainews.prd.go.th/centerweb/newsen/NewsDetail?NT01_NewsID=WNDAT5701230010001

We were up there three weeks ago and the weather was foul, freezing fog, visibility down to then metres and 3 degrees, it reminded me too much of the UK so we abandoned the visit. But because we really wanted go back there we returned three days later when the weather forecast was better, a clear blue sky and fabulous views, the 2 kilo trek to the viewpoint was really hard work but worth it, comes highly recommended - take walking boots, arctic jackets, gloves and hats etc.

Been to doi inthanon but not sure what the view point is that is 2km away. Can someone enlighten me?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It's not far back down from the peak, under one kilometer I reckon. On the right hand side when driving down the mountain is a large car park with a couple of restaurants, next to that is an office building which is the entrance to the trek. In total it's about four kilo's and you must hire a guide (200 baht as I recall). The trek takes you through the forest and past the waterfalls along steps that have been carved out and reinforced, it's not difficult going by any means but older people will find it hard to get enough oxygen at that altitude unless they are very fit and accustomed to it. Eventually you'll arrive at the point where the forest/jungle ends and the high altitude grasslands start, frost and ice on the ground is evident - go another couple of hundred metres and you'll arrive at the viewpoint, magical views go on forever. The option exists to carry on and do a loop arriving back where you started, alternatively to head straight back, I was so tired I did the latter, it really is hard work and I'm very fit but alas, I'm advancing in years. Note: the guides are all hill tribe teenagers and great fun and very caring, tipping is in order.post-35940-0-17332800-1390439892_thumb.j

Edited by chiang mai

I found some more info on the trek here:

http://www.findingtheuniverse.com/2013/04/exploring-doi-inthanon-national-park.html

"!If you only do one walk in Doi Inthanon, then the 3km Kew Mae Pan trail is the one you have to do. You have to pay extra for the privilege – it’s 200 baht per group to hire a guide for the trail, which isn’t optional.

It is totally worth it though, and the guide knows all kinds of things that you probably don’t, so the two or three hours that the walk will take you (I know, it seems unlikely that 3km will take three hours, but trust me, the views are so epic that you’re going to take this long!) will also be stuffed full of knowledge. And knowledge is good!

The wonderful thing about this walk is the variety it offers. You will walk through cloud forest, past waterfalls, then up out onto a plain that offers incredible views across northern Thailand. Well worth the effort and tiny cost, I assure you!!"

Edited by chiang mai
  • Like 2

re

many areas of the North and Northeast, where temperatures have dropped to near zero.

in chiang mai

for the last three days a 9 inch terrapin has dragged itself out of the moat opposite the kawasaki dealer to sunbahthe all day coz the waters too cold for it :(

dave2

post-42592-0-00002300-1390487863_thumb.j

post-42592-0-62455900-1390487898_thumb.j

post-42592-0-68211200-1390487940_thumb.j

post-42592-0-08769200-1390487984_thumb.j

post-42592-0-53534300-1390488118_thumb.j

• Like 1