Opening a bank account, this just gets more bizarre.

giddyup

I opened a post a couple of weeks ago about a friend from Australia who tried to open a new account at three different banks at the Tesco on Sukhumvit and got knocked back by all of them. Someone told him that the banks required a letter of residency that's issued by immigration to open a new account, so that's what he did.

Today he goes into the Siam Commercial at the same Tesco and produces the letter of residency, but now the bank tells him that he has to get a "letter of guarantee" from his embassy (he has a Maltese passport) stating that he's not a terrorist! Can Thailand get any crazier?

• Like 1

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly what Sigurris says. I don't understand why your friends insist on using the Tesco lotus branches of Banks.

There's probably no supervisor (manager) in these branches and the staff invents things so they don't have to say they don't know.

Try a main branch of any bank and I'm quite sure it will be done.

Yermanee wai.gif

I asked him the same question. My Thai lady rang the Bangkok Bank Jomtien a couple of weeks ago for him and they told her if he came in there would be no problem opening an account, but for some reason he was fixated on getting an account with SCB.

the bangkok bank branch on samsen road in banglampu has a good reputation for dealing with non-thai customers

Excellent! Then you could stop in the Adhere The 13th Blues Bar and enjoy the Banglampoo Band!

Sure wish Georgia was still with 'em.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 2

Exactly what Sigurris says. I don't understand why your friends insist on using the Tesco lotus branches of Banks.

There's probably no supervisor (manager) in these branches and the staff invents things so they don't have to say they don't know.

Try a main branch of any bank and I'm quite sure it will be done.

Yermanee wai.gif

I asked him the same question. My Thai lady rang the Bangkok Bank Jomtien a couple of weeks ago for him and they told her if he came in there would be no problem opening an account, but for some reason he was fixated on getting an account with SCB.
Maybe because Bangkok Bank sucks!

Maybe the Maltese passport puts them off. I've had no problem at least with savings accounts at all the major Thai banks.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

The KBank branch in Festival Beach is know as easy one

When I tried opening an account there last June they would only do if I bought some kind of insurance also-my GF took me to the branch on Klang and no bullshit from there-opened it in 5 minutes thumbsup.gif

When he heard them say "terrorist" they probably meant to say "tourist" Once,when I answered a question about my status with the word "retired" the thai woman looked at me in a sad way and said "Oh,so sorry".Guess she thought I said "retarded",, Well,not yet I hope...

Edited by Bosse137

BB makes it almost impossible even in big branches and demands 3 forms of id or cc etc. Just go to Kasikorn/Soi Bouakao or main branch Klang or South Pattaya. Tell them you need to transfer and administer funds for condo purchase. Totally painless. MS>

I believe in the future it will be harder for anyone from the U.S. To get A Thai bank account,and also keep the bank account that they have had.The U.S. Is making it difficult for banks all over the world to do business with any U.S citizen.

• Like 2

ahhhhhhhhhhhh, but are you Maltese? Just curious

I opened two accounts, one at Bangkok bank, and another at the bank with the K.

It was simple as pie.

I produced my passport, and that was that.

Quite easy and as said above, quite painless.

I am not Maltese, nor a Falcon.

Opened an account at Bangkok Bank in the main branch in Udon with absolutely no problem. Only my passport was required. Even got medical assistance with the account. The staff were very friendly with excellent English that would put many UK residents to shame.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I reckon the Kasikorn Bank is the most foreigner friendly bank in town. They've also got great internet banking and many branches are open late. The web shopping (debit) Visa card they give you is also very useful.

Would you please embelish your comment a bit,

Because I am a newbie at Kasikorn, having registered and accoun on the adivce of someone who was waiting next to me for service at a Thai telephone provider.

The people there are not bad.

BUt what about this debit Visa card and how is it useful?

What else is special about the bank that you think it most farang friendly?

I reckon the Kasikorn Bank is the most foreigner friendly bank in town. They've also got great internet banking and many branches are open late. The web shopping (debit) Visa card they give you is also very useful.

Because I am a newbie at Kasikorn, having registered and accoun on the adivce of someone who was waiting next to me for service at a Thai telephone provider.

Kasikorn Bank has very good english speaking telephone banking services and assistance.

• Like 1

Agreed, I find this too.

I opened the account at the KBank in Central Festival. The girl who did it for me was fluent in English and understood all my questions. She asked me if I wanted a Visa debit card and I said yes. Then she said for an extra 400 baht you can get an accident insurance policy with the card. I thought what the heck it's only 400 baht and if I did have an accident I could use it.

Their internet banking is very good and secure. I get SMS notifications on all my deposits, withdrawals and balance changes. I can transfer funds and pay bills online easily. For any withdrawal they send me a OTP (one time password) by SMS to my phone, very good. I also like having a Thai bank account because when I am back home I monitor the exchange rate, when it good I send over some cash for my next long term stay, It is very handy for that.

The usefulness of the Visa debit card is that you can use it to pay for your flights, groceries, ATM withdrawals and you can use it overseas too. I am very happy with my Kasikorn account.

• Like 1

No, I'm not, and he was born in Australia by Maltese parents.

I guess that he has an Australian passport then?

If so better he use that next time.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No problems opening a/c at Bangkok Bank Lotus Pattaya South, but surprised that they charged Baht800 to open a Deposit a/c.

You got hosed...must have sold you some optional and unneeded insurance product with your account! The most it should cost is 200-300 baht depending in which ATM/debit card you select for the account.

No, I'm not, and he was born in Australia by Maltese parents.

I guess that he has an Australian passport then?

If so better he use that next time.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Nothing to do with what passport he has, just banks being pedantic. Malta hardly has a reputation as producing terrorists.

Apart from the Visa debit (ATM) card you get, if you register for online banking you get a Web Shopping Visa Card. They opened mine with a limit of 100,000 baht. It's a virtual Visa debit card with card number, expiry date and CCV number that you can use as you use any Visa card to purchase online. You don't get a physical card.

It's the bank that they recommend down at Jomtien immigration for people who need a bank account for retirement purposes.