Pressies for a farang monk

Showbags

Dark chocolate or cheese. Both are classified as medicine and therefore can be kept in the room, and eaten anytime, even after midday.

Good idea if true, even if not.

Is it Tipco that has the fresh-squeezed juice bars in the malls, including wheatgrass shots (good stuff!)

Arrange for daily delivery for a week or two to his wat. . .

Mall too far away.

By the way...your Avatar...it should be in that thread I started.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The problem with the fruit juices is he does not like all the rubbish in them, any junk or manufactured foods like that, full of sugars and preservatives and very little goodness....so I did not want to get that stuff....wanted to get something different and wholesome.

white brown rice ?

Just remembered we have a health food shop in town, might go see what they have for him.

Is he allowed honey ?

By the way...your Avatar...it should be in that thread I started.

First place I posted it.

Tipco and that other brand fruit juices, 100% fruit, some nice mixes.

Also have seen pure Kiwi juice and a Mango nectar, make a nice treat.

I am going to get him as originally proposed rye bread...by the way the best bread I have ever tasted, rye multigrain fresh baked, swiss/german baker....outstanding, butter, jam, some goods from the health food shop, maybe a book if I can find something different and honey.

Forgot to add shall include the dark chocolate and some gouda cheese.....although he is american....might get cheddar slices, individually wrapped.

Both chocolate (which must be non-dairy) and cheese are considered medicines. You should check. I believe they are only allowed when the monk is weak or debilitated. They can, however, be taken after noon (as can clear fruit juice).

To be honest, though I understand you are trying to be kind, I think you're completely barking up the wrong trees. The monk has chosen to live a life of abstinence. He doesn't seek the pleasures of food, however good. Many monks will take what is given to them in their alms bowl and stir it up into a slop specifically because they don't want to take pleasure from it. And how would you feel if that's what happened to the expensive food you are planning to offer?

And are you aware that monks are not allowed to keep food overnight? Anything that isn't consumed by midday has to be given away to local poor people or otherwise disposed of. (An exception is made for things such as juice in cartons, dried rice - but for nothing resembling fresh food.) Food and drink are also shared communally. Do you think temple boys will appreciate chocolate and cheese?

Far better (in my opinion) to stick to simple things like fruit juice and toiletries. These will genuinely be appreciated.

Half decent disable razors and some foam. Some of my staff have spent time in the monkhood and everyone always gives those terrible bic orange razors and no foam. A monk is not supposed to derive pleasure from foodstuffs but the 'pleasure' from not carving yourself whilst shaving must be worth it.

Half decent disable razors and some foam. Some of my staff have spent time in the monkhood and everyone always gives those terrible bic orange razors and no foam. A monk is not supposed to derive pleasure from foodstuffs but the 'pleasure' from not carving yourself whilst shaving must be worth it.

disposable (typo)

Crikey.....might just by him a paper then.

Tell me why food is so bad for monks, I mean seriously, why is the pleasure of tasting what is given...supposedly, if you believe in it....by god to enjoy.

Also why no seeded fruit ? Whats the logic here ?

Seriously any wonder why I spent my catholic days in school carving my name and I love Debbie in the seats and then ditched it altogether first chance I got at circa 10/11yo.

Monks are supposed to be role models for the community. The community supports them by bringing them food, and in return expects individuals who are beyond reproach.

The restrictions upon seeded fruit are twofold. One is that the monks would need to pick the seeds out of their teeth (not polite). Two is that if the seeds could grow, then the monk would be taking away life.

As for "pleasure of tasting", monks are working to be beyond earthly pleasures; they are working towards complete "non attachment" - a state where they are impervious to the desires of this world.

Oh, and Buddhism has no "god". The Buddha, when asked if there were a god said, and I'm paraphrasing here, "it doesn't matter - you will never know whether there's a god or not - just live a good life".

The logic here is alien to people brought up in an atavistic western society, but it does have its own internal logic.

And let me repeat: clear fruit juice, toiletries. That's what will really be appreciated. Possibly along with a few paracetamol.

• Like 1

I'm not an expert in this area. I just have a bit of experience from trying to respect local beliefs and traditions and wanting to support the local clergy. I can't give you all the answers you want.

Anyway, trying to do my best, rice grains aren't seen as seeds. Logical? Possibly not. Giving a bag of rice as alms is pretty standard. Plenty of temples have them stacked up at the entrance for you to buy, then give as alms. No issues there as far as I know.

To be honest I really feel sorry for you trying to do what is right but having to deal with some pretty arcane local traditions.

Anyway, to the best of my knowledge you'll probably be OK with medicines, Tiger balm and the like. Monks pretty much get used to sitting in uncomfortable positions, but Tiger Balm is a cure for a whole lots of problems so should be pretty useful.

And even if you don't get it right, the monastic community can still give your offerings to local people. From a Buddhist perspective you'll still earn spiritual merit.

I'm not an expert in this area. I just have a bit of experience from trying to respect local beliefs and traditions and wanting to support the local clergy. I can't give you all the answers you want.

Anyway, trying to do my best, rice grains aren't seen as seeds. Logical? Possibly not. Giving a bag of rice as alms is pretty standard. Plenty of temples have them stacked up at the entrance for you to buy, then give as alms. No issues there as far as I know.

To be honest I really feel sorry for you trying to do what is right but having to deal with some pretty arcane local traditions.

Anyway, to the best of my knowledge you'll probably be OK with medicines, Tiger balm and the like. Monks pretty much get used to sitting in uncomfortable positions, but Tiger Balm is a cure for a whole lots of problems so should be pretty useful.

And even if you don't get it right, the monastic community can still give your offerings to local people. From a Buddhist perspective you'll still earn spiritual merit.

http://www.londonbuddhistvihara.org/qa/qa_practices.htm

May show that your restrictions may be considered a little extreme here.

Not doing it for merit...not sure why really, just want to go and have a chat with him as he is something different and feel I should take something to not look like a stingy prick.....but don't want to take the normal stuff...I like to be different.

• Like 1

My comments are based upon my experiences supporting the Sangha here in Thailand. I'm not really sure how relevant the local practices of a community in London are. Of course, if the original poster is asking about a monk in London, then I deeply apologise - I missed that.

My comments are based upon my experiences supporting the Sangha here in Thailand. I'm not really sure how relevant the local practices of a community in London are. Of course, if the original poster is asking about a monk in London, then I deeply apologise - I missed that.

Sorry I missed that you were the one who set the rules for all rather than letting each find his own path. I will have to remember next time.

Edited by harrry

If he has been a monk for 30+ years as you say, he would not be interested in any material things and he should be getting sufficient food to survive. Why the need to take him any presents?

Cos I thought its the done thing....everyone else does, maybe I should be different and turn up with just me for company and a chat.

Plus the Thai lady I know that goes to see him takes Starbucks and she has been doing it for awhile....so can't be all bad....not coffee, cheesecake I think.