Need stamp from Ministry of Foreign Affairs - Offices working?

I was issued a criminal records clearance certificate and now I need to have it stamped at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This is to apply for a long-term visa at a foreign embassy. However, I'm not sure the MFA is working because of everything going on in Bangkok.

I tried calling them but can't find anybody who speaks English to explain what to do.

I live in Hua Hin, so I don't want to make the trip unless I can be sure they can do this.

Edited by dotx

Call 1111, they have English speaking assistance. Not sure they offer the service at the two other passport locations. Otherwise you can go to Chiang Mai where there is also a legalization office.

I hope I don't have to go all the way to Chiang Mai to get this done! I'll try the 1111 number to see what they say, thanks.

Any idea of a service that might do this? I'm in Hua Hin, so the idea of traveling all the way to Chiang Mai to get this done makes me want to scream. I'd rather pay somebody to get this done for me.

Or, even better, any idea if this can be done by a person other than the one on the certificate? If yes, I could ask a friend who lives in Chiang Mai.

Edited by dotx

I know the BKK-office allows it do it by mail. Contact the Chiang Mai office.

Legalization Division
Department of Consular Affairs
Chiang Mai Provincial Hall Building
Chotana Road, T.Chang Puek
A. Muang, Chiang Mai 50000
Tel.: 053-112-748, 053-112-749, or 053-112-750

A quick internet search suggest this is the only legalization office besides CW-road in BKK. But believe a new passport office will be or is opend in Phuket. No idea what they will offer.

Mate went there yesterday to get his cert of freedom to marry stamped. They were closed

Do you know why? I hope it's not a "out of solidarity" thing, since the one in Bangkok is also closed.

Edited by dotx

I had a document legalized yesterday at the temporary office in Bkk.

It's in the 5th floor of Central Bang Na (shopping center). They stop processing express requests at 12 and regular (3 day turn-around) at 14:00. At 11 the line to drop off your papers was 90 minutes long. Make sure you have a photo copy of the photo page of your passport. After you drop it off, using express service you can come back and pick it up in 2 hours. It cost 800฿

The MFA sub-department above Immigration (on 7th Floor) in Chang Wattana--is closed. I know, because I do some p-t work there. I also know that people go there to get certain signatures, because I have met foreigners asking for signatures in the corridor near my office.

The "main" MFA is in Sri Thanon Ayutthaya, near Ramathibodi Hospital and so much more central in BKK. I am almost 100% sure that it is also closed.

As far as I know, these gvment offices will not open until the "troubles" are over: they are the same as other gvment offices.

I am not sure whether you can get what you want at the two temporary Immig offices that are now open in BKK. The MFA is a completely different animal to Immigration.

Suggest you look at MFA website and try any 1111-type numbers you know of.

Eddy

I had a document legalized yesterday at the temporary office in Bkk.

It's in the 5th floor of Central Bang Na (shopping center). They stop processing express requests at 12 and regular (3 day turn-around) at 14:00. At 11 the line to drop off your papers was 90 minutes long. Make sure you have a photo copy of the photo page of your passport. After you drop it off, using express service you can come back and pick it up in 2 hours. It cost 800฿

That's an interesting post.... Where did you come across that info and find out about that temporary office. I'm assuming you're talking about Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

When I was interviewing BKK translation offices a week ago re handling marriage affidavits, they all said the MFA Office at Chaengwattana Rd. was closed, and they didn't know of any temporary/replacement MFA office in BKK... If there was one, you'd think those Thai shops who rely on their services would know about it.

My gf heard about the temporary office from a woman at amphur Bang Rak.

There was also a passport office at Bang Na that looked more permanent. The place I went to was desks and chairs set up in the hall between Central department store and the food court area. I'm not sure what all services they performed but I needed to go to the ministry of foreign affairs and this place provided the legalization service I needed.

I know the BKK-office allows it do it by mail. Contact the Chiang Mai office.

Legalization Division

Department of Consular Affairs

Chiang Mai Provincial Hall Building

Chotana Road, T.Chang Puek

A. Muang, Chiang Mai 50000

Tel.: 053-112-748, 053-112-749, or 053-112-750

A quick internet search suggest this is the only legalization office besides CW-road in BKK. But believe a new passport office will be or is opend in Phuket. No idea what they will offer.

Faagetaboutit ! Phuket has supposedly been opening a OFA for last 5 years , it wasn't opened when I left in July !

I was trying to make a Bride of my lady Flower and all that was left to do was I had to report to Office of Foriegn Affairs ,then register at the Amphur.; but when we got back to Phuket ,the downturn in world financial markets and political changes in Thailand had caused a re-think and it never got built in Phuket.They did open a place to do Passports Flower says ,she asked and they said only did Passports there.

Edited by TheWizardofRnR

My gf heard about the temporary office from a woman at amphur Bang Rak.

There was also a passport office at Bang Na that looked more permanent. The place I went to was desks and chairs set up in the hall between Central department store and the food court area. I'm not sure what all services they performed but I needed to go to the ministry of foreign affairs and this place provided the legalization service I needed.

Thanks for the added info!

I actually sent an email to the MFA yesterday and woke up to this email from them this morning: "Due to political situation, our office in Cheang Watthana Road is unfortunately closed. We have a temporary office at Central Bangna, 5th floor. Office hour :8:30-14:00 hrs."

• 1 month later...

Any updates on this? I now need another paper certified but I'm not sure if the offices have reopened or if I still have to go to the Central address. I tried sending an email but haven't heard back.

You still need to go to central Bangna.

They have been unable to open any offices at CW other than a temporary passport office.

Thanks. Do you know if everything remains the same? As in, I have to arrive before 8am if I want to get the paper certified the same day?

When I went there in early February they said you needed to be there before 11 to get same-day, express service. I didn't get up to the counter until 11:30 or so and I still got it back the same day. If you're there before 10 and the line's not too long you should be early enough, unless they changed something since Feb.

UPDATE:

I finally received an email back from the Ministry and it says:

From Monday 24 March 2014, the Legalization Division will provide its
document legalization services at Esplanade, “G” Floor on Ratchadapisek
Road from Monday to Friday, from 08:00 – 16:00 hrs. Except Saturdays –
Sundays and public holidays
I'm guessing this means the Esplanade shopping mall?

It does.

They have opened a new passport office there.

Edit: I found this on consular website. http://www.consular.go.th/main/contents/files/news-20140321-232108-794258.pdf

Document Legalization Service
From Monday 24 March 2014, the Legalization Division will provide its
document legalization services at Esplanade, “G” Floor on Ratchadapisek
Road from Monday to Friday, from 08:00 – 16:00 hrs. Except Saturdays –
Sundays and public holidays.
Types of document legalization services :
1) Express service limited to 100 applications/day until 12:00 hrs.
2) Normal service unlimited but closed for application at 14:00 hrs.
Fees for document legalization services :
1) Express service is 400 Baht /legalization/certification
2) Normal service is 200 Baht /legalization/certification
3) Home delivery – postal service (EMS) is 60 Baht (extra)
Legalization Division

23 March B.E. 2557 (2014)

Edited by ubonjoe
more info