Stay in Chiang Mai or return to your or another western country

vagabond48

New Zealand would be my choice if cost is no problem. They speak a strange, but basically intelligible, dialect of English. The really nice ones are very nice indeed and the rest live in Australia anyway, Good health care, no real corruption and stunning scenery in parts. The South Island is my favourite with a small cottage in Akaroa being my dream.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lived in Spain and would recommend it. It's not too expensive if you live in a small village like I did. The food is possibly the best in the world. Medical care is good. Traveling around the country is pleasurable. The only downside I found was that the people are not particularly helpful and it takes ages to adjust to the daily siesta.

I too, hate what is happening in C.M. I hate the development, the malls, traffic, pollution, too many people, etc. But before I throw in the towel I may take a look at another Northern city less crowded and developed. I have a child which of course makes that idea somewhat difficult. I also like the area Sparkles talked about; South of Hua Hin but there is not much to do there, no modern grocery stores, medical care is limited. I could be wrong but I don't think there is even a Doctor full-time in the Baan Krut area; only a government clinic once a week or something.

Maybe try somewhere like Chiang Rai for a while and see how that works out for you before throwing in the towel? Good luck.

• Like 1

I don't understand living in CM if you are rich. I never stayed through the smog season. Why? I enjoy my health. Anyhow, I must make some assumptions about the OP (i'm sure he will berate me later): likes the mountains more than the beach, like asia, and doesn't mind asians. If you don't care about losing your fluent/limited Thai vocabulary, I would go to Japan first. Great food, nice mountains, and enough luxuries. Plus the asian culture with better air. I would consider Taiwan, but only north Taipei. It's pretty metropolitan. Outside of asia, spain would be nice but their economy is ruined and that might create undue stress with the overall populace. people are happier if their country is rich.

*the coldest winter i felt was a summer in san francisco. haha.

Hawaii is fine as well.

i'm now in Colorado, USA. The air is sublime.

I have a lot more freedoms in the US - can own land, freedom of speech, have my own firing range on my own property, constitutional protection from the police, rule of law, honest courts, the absolute right to defend myself and my home... and of course I can trust the food and water anywhere to be safe. I never have dirty air. Almost all drivers are trained, sane, and sober.

I'm sorry but I have to laugh at some of the things you wrote. I too, am an American but don't see things as you do in any way, shape or form whatsoever! Freedom in the USA??? It is a police state for crying out loud. Freedom of speech? LOL. I guess you didn't protest at the start of the Iraq war and get threatened by the American police to crack your head open for peacefully protesting. Honest courts???? Hahahaha LOL you have got to be joking! Have you ever been involved in a major lawsuit? I have. Guess what? The lawyers, judges, police, expert witnesses.....they are all corrupt! The system there stinks! And unlike in countries like Spain and a number of other in Europe, you can lose your home and everything you own if you get a court judgment against you (even if it was obtained fraudulently). "Almost all drivers are trained, sane, and sober." Come on, you must be joking, aren't you? In Southern California you hear on the news every week about some drunk who drives up on the freeway off-ramp and gets into a head on collision killing an entire family. Do you have any idea how many people are locked up in American prisons for felony drunk driving? I will say that you are correct in that the drivers are trained, but that is about it.

I have a lot more freedoms in the US - can own land, freedom of speech, have my own firing range on my own property, constitutional protection from the police, rule of law, honest courts, the absolute right to defend myself and my home... and of course I can trust the food and water anywhere to be safe. I never have dirty air. Almost all drivers are trained, sane, and sober.

I'm sorry but I have to laugh at some of the things you wrote. I too, am an American but don't see things as you do in any way, shape or form whatsoever! Freedom in the USA??? It is a police state for crying out loud. Freedom of speech? LOL. I guess you didn't protest at the start of the Iraq war and get threatened by the American police to crack your head open for peacefully protesting. Honest courts???? Hahahaha LOL you have got to be joking! Have you ever been involved in a major lawsuit? I have. Guess what? The lawyers, judges, police, expert witnesses.....they are all corrupt! The system there stinks! And unlike in countries like Spain and a number of other in Europe, you can lose your home and everything you own if you get a court judgment against you (even if it was obtained fraudulently). "Almost all drivers are trained, sane, and sober." Come on, you must be joking, aren't you? In Southern California you hear on the news every week about some drunk who drives up on the freeway off-ramp and gets into a head on collision killing an entire family. Do you have any idea how many people are locked up in American prisons for felony drunk driving? I will say that you are correct in that the drivers are trained, but that is about it.

I agree that I wouldn't want to live in any crowded area such as S. California, but there's no reason to. The rest of what you said is BS. Police might threaten or try to intimidate on rare occasions, but you still have constitutional protection against them. Here's a guy who stands up to them, simply exercising his constitutional rights against unreasonable search and seizure.

In America, you are either under arrest, or you are free to go. If you are arrested, the cop must then convince a judge he had probable cause to do it. He is also liable for a civil suit for false arrest and the loss of his job. You don't even have to give your name or show ID except in a traffic stop. You can just walk away.

Edited by NeverSure

It's sort of funny, another guy married to Pinay but who refuses to live in the country. Seems like your next retirement home will be dictated by who will allow your wife to stay and by what terms more than anything else.

You state money is a concern, but then state not. I'm sure it is of some concern, you would have not found yourself in RP or Thailand otherwise, still we have no clue.

This post comes up often. It is never resolved and the op's never go anywhere.

Even the best places to settle have limitations.

I am going to guess you are American and wife Philippino obviously. Based on this and assuming you can qualify for retirement:

Phillippines, N Palawan

Hawaii

Micronesia, Pulau, Tahiti, Fiji

Islands controlled by NZ (ie Cook)

Malaysia (Sabah, Sarawak)

Guam (iffy)

Spain, Barcelona

Mexico (iffy)

Nicaragua, Panama (iffy)

Western US, touring by car - spring, fall

Northern India (if you are US or UK and can get 10-5yr visa)

Might be intetesting to long stay in East Europe, coastal Balkans, Greece and Turkey.

I have to laugh when I see these posts, if the wife and I had the money we would have packs on our backs and out the door without a care or a plan. Thete is so much to be seen and fone and it's all disappearing so rapidly.

My hunch is you are not going anywhere otherwise you would be out enjoying the amazing planet and looking for yourselves.

Again, I am trying to get opinions on, if money was not an issue, would you still want to live in CM or another city in Thailand, or would you choose a warm climate and friendly small city back home or another western country?

Once again, this assumes you are not addicted to cheap sex or booze.

Oh, now money is not an issue? Maybe you shouldn't have left out that "little detail" in your original post. You said earlier that "the lower cost of living" was one of the main reasons you were in Thailand.

If money is not an issue, then I recommend the Cayman Islands (the air is wonderful there!) and southern France (for the exquisite food!).

Edited by crusader79

I to am from the US. Just about fully agree with you. It has become a nanny state. You are free to stand at the corner with out a car in sight and wait for the light to turn green for you to walk across. If you don't you can be charged with breaking the law. The U S is so free that you do not live you just exist. All kinds of freedoms that are useless. Free to defend your self. I grew up in Seattle and never felt the need to have a gun to protect myself. All that protection you have from the police. don't forget if some one breaks into your house and is later found with the goods on him he has the protection of the courts if they didn't get a warrant to search him or his premises. Freedom a myth. When I was taking Criminology we were told that per capata the U S had more people locked up in prison than any other country in the world.

Not much on TV here but I like law and order. Try watching it some times the court wins and some times the arrested one wins. Notice how easy it is to have things that have a direct bearing on the case not allowed to be brought in. If it was your wife or some one close to you killed and the murderer went free because of a technicality in the freedom of the perpetrator would you rejoice and say look how wonderful a free country it is?

There is a big difference between freedom and common sense.

Yes there driving is better. But the road rage is so bad there that the news papers don't even bother to print it any more. It would be like printing every day don't forgers to breath. Here in Thailand it is not a common occurrence.

What was that song

Freedom just nothing else to loose.

The only reason the states doesn't have as many road fatalities is because they have a far faster time for qualified medical help to be on the scene. The first hour is the most criticical. Here we do not have the emergency services available to them. What good is your right to carry a gun going to do you if you are not home when yiour house is broken into or the other guy is ffaster with it.

the States has a lot to offer but for my self I prefer taking responsibility for my own life. so many things I can have happen there by accident being clumsy as I am. A good lawyer will get me thousands of dollars for it. Here I am completely responsible and if I trip on a step in the middle of the side walk and have to go to the hospital I am responsible for the bill.

I enjoy taking responsibility for my own life. No welfare system here to take care of me here. To each there own.

• Like 1

Yes, the "IF money is no object" should be followed with, "Well, buy EARTH!!! Buy every single country, every army, and employee every person on the planet. Then you can live anywhere. You will own every airline......you will own everything."

As far as no freedoms in USA, I think it's all relative. I think the media is manipulated in every country, and "freedom" is relatively ok in the states. I think every country says you have freedom, money, jobs, etc.....and then you find out this might not be the case. Is it nirvana? of course not. Rich to poor inequality is very bad. But it is pretty bad in many, many other places. I think relative to most countries, the USA is pretty good. When comparing everything, I'm pretty confident USA is in the top-10. I must visit Switzerland, New Zealand, maybe Austria, and a few other places first. The world is crazy, and in USA with 300+ million people, crazy things happen all the time.

Again, I am trying to get opinions on, if money was not an issue, would you still want to live in CM or another city in Thailand, or would you choose a warm climate and friendly small city back home or another western country?

Oh, now money is not an issue? Maybe you shouldn't have left out that "little detail" in your original post. You said earlier that "the lower cost of living" was one of the main reasons you were in Thailand.

If money is not an issue, then I recommend the Cayman Islands (the air is wonderful there!) and southern France (for the exquisite food!).

I was trying to be a bit more direct with my words as far as affordability. I guess "money is not an issue" was over the top. I originally wrote "If you could afford to live in a similar lifestyle" which in other words mean a life style you want and could afford in your home country.

As an example, let's say, you currently spend USD $1500 to $2000/month in CM. You inherited money that would allow you to live on $3000 to $4000/month and were happy to retain your current comfortable lifestyle, would you leave Thailand and return home?

Edited by vagabond48

Btw, my wife is Chinese not Filipino. I thought about living in China but she doesn't want to live there, because, too many people, too much air pollution, too much rudeness, and the food supply can't be trusted. I also don't speak Mandarin.

Edited by vagabond48

I was trying to be a bit more direct with my words as far as affordability. I guess "money is not an issue" was over the top. I originally wrote "If you could afford to live in a similar lifestyle" which in other words mean a life style you want and could afford in your home country.

As an example, let's say, you currently spend USD $1500 to $2000/month in CM. You inherited money that would allow you to live on $3000 to $4000/month and were happy to retain your current comfortable lifestyle, would you leave Thailand and return home?

No-not in a fit! Dont get why people think farang are only here because it is cheap.

• Like 1

I lived in Spain and would recommend it. It's not too expensive if you live in a small village like I did. The food is possibly the best in the world. Medical care is good. Traveling around the country is pleasurable. The only downside I found was that the people are not particularly helpful and it takes ages to adjust to the daily siesta.

I too, hate what is happening in C.M. I hate the development, the malls, traffic, pollution, too many people, etc. But before I throw in the towel I may take a look at another Northern city less crowded and developed. I have a child which of course makes that idea somewhat difficult. I also like the area Sparkles talked about; South of Hua Hin but there is not much to do there, no modern grocery stores, medical care is limited. I could be wrong but I don't think there is even a Doctor full-time in the Baan Krut area; only a government clinic once a week or something.

Maybe try somewhere like Chiang Rai for a while and see how that works out for you before throwing in the towel? Good luck.

Most expats that live in the Bangsaphan and Baan Krut areas, which are delightful, trek up to Hua Hin for an serious medical issues so that's about a 3 hour drive.There are 2 English speaking doctors in Bangsaphan ,one at a private clinic but the local hospital is very basic. In the 8 years we have been going there the price of land has doubled.Of course the further south you go it gets cheaper but there is very little to do except fishing ,diving and swimming but there is clean air ,good ,cheap food but as you say no modern shopping centres apart from Tesco Express, its basically a Thai lifestyle ,markets etc.

Most of the smaller beach side areas are typical Thai/Muslim, fishing oriented, villages but the Bangkok developers are sniffing around and its pushing up prices much to the disgust of expats who moved there for a quiet lifestyle.

www.bangsaphanguide.com if anyone is interested.

Even if I won the lottery (tricky as I don't do it!), I would not, under any circumstances, return to the UK - the country as I knew it was finally wrecked by a combination of Tony B-liar's government and the casino games played on Wall Street by immature greed merchants with no morals or ethics. Nor would I leave Thailand unless I was forced to.

• Like 1

I find this an interesting question since I am in a situation not unlike the OP's. Having spent a large part of my adult life in SE Asia. (since 1978)

In my younger years I always dreaded having to go back to Europe. Hell, every day spent in Germany was a day wasted in my life.

Now also in my sixties, I start to look forward to my yearly trip back to "the Fatherland". April 1st I'm outta here when it gets too hot and Songkran looms. I need a change. I maintain a cheap place here where my belongings are and the Honda Dream is parked. Perfect.

As many posters said, it's all a matter of the budget. True. It should be a part of the long term retirement planning to be able to split your time between your home country and Thailand/SEA. Of course it helps if you stay single.thumbsup.gif

Most of those pesky socialist Euro countries give you some assistance at home if you don't have an income and can proove you are "poor". And free medical. That helps.

Even if I won the lottery (tricky as I don't do it!), I would not, under any circumstances, return to the UK - the country as I knew it was finally wrecked by a combination of Tony B-liar's government and the casino games played on Wall Street by immature greed merchants with no morals or ethics. Nor would I leave Thailand unless I was forced to.

Just an observation...I've been reading many posts where commenters lambast their own countries, mainly the UK and the US, vowing never to return (quite justifiably in many cases). Yet you never see the same kind of anger directed towards other countries such as Denmark, Sweden, Germany, Holland or even Canada. When's the last time you heard a Swede say "I'm never ever returning to f$% bloody Sweden?" I wonder why, especially when you consider that citizens in many of these places pay twice as much in taxes. Is it simply because there are more Americans and Brits in Thailand? Or does it have something to do with the social democratic tradition in those countries? Who knows?

• Like 1

Not in you age bracket but maybe we have similar thoughts

I am 32, been here for 6 of the last 9 years and will go home to the US for family reasons. I want to move back to Thailand in the future, but the air quality, growth, and lack of good job prospects (I am a certified teacher in in the US, but Prem is the only really good salary in town) have me looking elsewhere.

I fell in love with Nan and Phayao, but I have a feeling Nan's burning season is bad too, and both have worse salaries than Chiang Mai.

I really dislike Bangkok, and I love Thailand, and nearly fluent in spoken Thai and my reading is advancing quickly. I feel highly invested in this country and it's hard to imagine working in Malaysia or Brunei strictly for monetary reasons. I plan on a Masters or PHD in the next years while back home, this may open up new jobs, but it won't help with the growing traffic and pollution and what appears to be a lack of concern at a local and governmental level.

I hope we all find what were are looking for!

• Like 2

If I could maintain my current lifestyle, especially the fact that I am "handsome man" and can get ladies with a small amount of my disposable income, yes, I would move back. But to maintain my handsomeness would require a lot more than 4k US/ month. More like 40k USD after taxes.

Edited by mesquite
  • Like 2

If you could afford to live in a similar lifestyle (excluding sex and booze) within a part of your or another western country that speaks your tongue, has warm pleasant weather, good healthcare, easy and enjoyable lifestyle, less corruption, would you leave Thailand?

No.

Not sure what the hangup is about sex and booze, the OP mentioned it twice. However we're disregarding money, so whichever hobby one might have would also be affordable in any other country, be it sex and booze or golf or something else entirely.

On the topic of the air quality in the dry season, I could see spending those months somewhere in Southern Thailand; it's a pretty nice place too. (Remember, we're disregarding costs, so an Air Asia ticket to Krabi and a bungalow for a month or so is completely negligible in a scenario where costs are disregarded and I might as well advocate Saint Tropez. )

Anyway, I've never set foot in a Western country that didn't suck. Have been to Africa and the Middle East, those are also out. Many people mention South America, but haven't been there. Doubt I'd appreciate it more than a combination of Chiang mai plus some beachy town in Southern Thailand. If it HAD to be outside Thailand then I'd probably still wan to stick to Asia. Vietnam maybe. Ultimately though you can't get around the inconvenient truth that Thailand is just so much better than anywhere else. And this is disregarding money. If you also factor in money then Thailand is in a league of its own.

I'm with Winnie here, I've traveled fairly widely and there is nowhere else in all the places that I have been to where I have thought I'd prefer to live. I remember coming to Chiang Mai for the first time in the mid nineties and knowing this is where I wanted to spend my days. As Winnie said the only real problem is the air quality at times, I'd say if If money was no object I'd take the family away abroad for the Summer Holidays in March/April to somewhere that was a bit cold, a month in the Swiss Alps something like that.

• Like 1