Stay in Chiang Mai or return to your or another western country

vagabond48

I have posted this in the CM forum because I have lived in Chiang Mai for over 7 years and I hope there are a lot more like minded 60+ yo people like myself living here.
This thread is primarily for the down to earth people living in Chiang Mai for 5 or more years who are mainly here for a simpler lifestyle, the warm weather, lower cost of living and not because of easy inexpensive sex or cheap booze.
When I first came to CM, I thought this was the place I could spend the rest of my life. I have enjoyed my life here but CM have been changing too fast and too much to suit my needs. The air pollution, that now appears to be extending to a 1/3 of the year as well as the unsustainable growth in CM, are slowly turning me off. I don't think I would want to live in any other part Thailand or rest of South East Asia. I am also married to a non-Thai Asian, so my ties to Thailand are not as strong as some of you that have long term partnerships with Thai Nationals, that is why I thought I would pose this question.
If you could afford to live in a similar lifestyle (excluding sex and booze) within a part of your or another western country that speaks your tongue, has warm pleasant weather, good healthcare, easy and enjoyable lifestyle, less corruption, would you leave Thailand?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, probably Malaysia but its hypothetical for me at the moment.

If things aren't going the way you planned then you can either do something about it or do nothing. In my experience, doing nothing is worse than making a mistake if you choose to do something about it.

• Like 2

The over riding concern in your thread is air quality so I assume a move would be due to health reasons.

Certainly the elders amongst us suffer more than others and we are here to enjoy our retirement.

Health becomes priority no 1 so the longer we can protect it the better.

We only get one life and have to make the best of it....and the only regrets in life are the things we didn't do....when we should have done.

• Like 1

If things aren't going the way you planned then you can either do something about it or do nothing. In my experience, doing nothing is worse than making a mistake if you choose to do something about it.

I wrote that if I left, it would not be to any country in SEA. The last time I looked Malaysia was in SEA.

The over riding concern in your thread is air quality so I assume a move would be due to health reasons.

Certainly the elders amongst us suffer more than others and we are here to enjoy our retirement.

Health becomes priority no 1 so the longer we can protect it the better.

We only get one life and have to make the best of it....and the only regrets in life are the things we didn't do....when we should have done.

That is only one of the factors and the move would not be due to health reasons although breathing in CM's air is not on my list of good health practices.

Again, I am trying to get opinions on, if money was not an issue, would you still want to live in CM or another city in Thailand, or would you choose a warm climate and friendly small city back home or another western country?

Once again, this assumes you are not addicted to cheap sex or booze.

Again, I am trying to get opinions on, if money was not an issue, would you still want to live in CM or another city in Thailand, or would you choose a warm climate and friendly small city back home or another western country?

Oh, now money is not an issue? Maybe you shouldn't have left out that "little detail" in your original post. You said earlier that "the lower cost of living" was one of the main reasons you were in Thailand.

If money is not an issue, then I recommend the Cayman Islands (the air is wonderful there!) and southern France (for the exquisite food!).

I still like CM, although I came from the Philippines to be here. If I was tired of CM or in fact Thailand then thats a possible place Id recommend. Sure their food aint great but lifestyle can be. There are many islands and if getting into the marine scene is your thing then its great there. Corruption is pretty much the same so avoid Manila like you may avoid BKK. But as they say....each to their own.

Sent from my GT-I8552B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I wrote that if I left, it would not be to any country in SEA. The last time I looked Malaysia was in SEA.

For me, Malaysia.

For you, New Zealand.

Spain might be an option, Malaysia also, as would a return to Blighty although the weather aspect suffers in the latter case.

The OP talks about noise, prices and pollution all being on the increase. My experience is those things are true but can be managed and often offset based on where and how you live in CM. In truth the burning season is only truly bad (potentially) between March and mid-April, not the extended period of time the OP described.

FWIW I've managed to reduce my living costs here year on year for the past five years to the point where I'm now very comfortable that I'm spending at the right level, it's a very satisfying process I can recommend.

The air has been cr@p since before New Year. Maybe you don't notice in the city. There is a brown haze hanging over the valley. If you go a little higher you will see it. Too many cars, many belching black smoke, temperature inversion with the cold weather. Loverly.

Spain might be an option, Malaysia also, as would a return to Blighty although the weather aspect suffers in the latter case.

The OP talks about noise, prices and pollution all being on the increase. My experience is those things are true but can be managed and often offset based on where and how you live in CM. In truth the burning season is only truly bad (potentially) between March and mid-April, not the extended period of time the OP described.

FWIW I've managed to reduce my living costs here year on year for the past five years to the point where I'm now very comfortable that I'm spending at the right level, it's a very satisfying process I can recommend.

The air has been cr@p since before New Year. Maybe you don't notice in the city. There is a brown haze hanging over the valley. If you go a little higher you will see it. Too many cars, many belching black smoke, temperature inversion with the cold weather. Loverly.

My primary gauge of the severity of burning season is how much I can see of Doi Suthep and the mountain range to the East, right now they're both in sight plus the smell of burning is very light, when the time comes to close the sliding glass doors and turn on the air con. to cleanse the room air, that's when things get bad, for me.

• Like 1

My primary gauge of the severity of burning season is how much I can see of Doi Suthep and the mountain range to the East, right now they're both in sight plus the smell of burning is very light, when the time comes to close the sliding glass doors and turn on the air con. to cleanse the room air, that's when things get bad, for me.

Our windows are closed apart from midmorning. No point in opening them after lunchsad.png

I do a lot of hiking & cycling away from the valley floor. Returning home, getting out of the truck, I notice the smell of smoke after being a little higher up. It's like living in an ashtray.

Edited by MESmith

Well, if you're American, you have never been living here tax-free. Americans must pay the USA income tax no matter where

they live. I'm presently splitting my retirement years between living here in Bangkok during the winter months and living in Tokyo during the rest of the year except for August, which I spend in Southern California. I plan to move back to Southern

California in a couple of years. Whether or not I continue to spend part of the year in Thailand will depend on my health

and energy level. I will have to pay state tax in California but I prefer living there to other warm parts of America. I

don't care much for Florida because of its high humidity. So I would recommend Southern California. You won't miss Asian people if you live there!

I would not suggest Spain. Had a nice place on the beach overlooking North Africa but way too cold, wet and windy for 3-4 months of the year.

I cant think of anywhere in the west with tolerable winters where I would be as happy as in Chiang mai..

If money (and a VISA for me and the family) was not an issue, I would be living in San Francisco.

For the past 5 years I have been walking to Wat Doi Suthep every week.

Most days you got a really good view across the city to the mountains at Doi Saket until last year.

I've only seen that view once in the last six months, despite doing the trip 3x a week in the last year.

Something is going seriously wrong with the air in Chiang mai this past year.

Edited by FiftyTwo

I have lived in CM for over 6 years. Where do you find cheap booze here?

drink in the thai bars,far cheaper than the rip of prices you pay in tourists places,average price 65 baht large bootle of chang,leo or tiger,lot on draught too.

The rather posh Thai restaurant "Huan Huay Keow" near the Buddha, top of Huay Keow road only charges 65bht for a large Chang Classic. Tourist bars in the center are charging scary prices these days. Many Thai bars are still selling 3 large bottles for 140bht.

Edited by FiftyTwo

I have been looking for my next home for the last 6 months after 13 years in CM.

Cm is no longer the idyllic little back water that I used to know.

Traffic and air pollution which is getting worse each year, and now starting earlier, have persuaded me to call it quits.

But to where? That is the question. Because money is a consideration, well for me it is, and I can't see myself dreaming about Utopia because there are places I can afford and places I can't.

If money was not a problem than I would to back to OZ.

That is not what your original post asked.

If you could afford to live in a similar lifestyle (excluding sex and booze) within a part of your or another western country that speaks your tongue, has warm pleasant weather, good healthcare, easy and enjoyable lifestyle, less corruption, would you leave Thailand?

Name us the country that has the lack of corruption and weather you describe. Remember you are posting on an English speaking forum. That really limits the number of countries. Then the health care well you have really narrowed it down now. The life style. I walk a lot as I have no vehicle. How ever I just stick out my hand and even if I do get over charged it is still cheaper than what I would have to pay in this fictional country of yours.

Your whole question is hypothetical. So my answer is a hypothetical yes. Provided I could take my Thai wife which should be no problem as it is the perfect country to live in. If I couldn't that would take away my life style.

You are over looking the fact that the weather is changing all over the world. Your hypothetical city might have snow next year. We might have a rainy season wiping out the smog season here as we did two years ago.

• Like 2

If money (and a VISA for me and the family) was not an issue, I would be living in San Francisco.

I don't think you would find the life style or the weather there. Being as you would have to be very well off financially the health care and tax's would not bother you.

How ever it is a good choice for a completely different life style. Not sure if I could handle the cold. By the way I am partial to the city as I was born there. Raised in Seattle so you can see the choice for me was hard on the 49er Seahawk game. I was neutral.

New Zealand, Ecuador & Mexico are my suggestions.

New Zealand speaks English the other two Spanish.

Never been to New Zealand on my to do list. How is the weather compared to Chiang Mai and what is the medical like.

Edited by northernjohn