Stay in Chiang Mai or return to your or another western country

vagabond48

The decision of whether a place is grot or not is 100% subjective, I enjoy living in CM, it suits me and at this stage in my life it provides all the things I want at this moment. I can understand fully however that a much younger person wants something different, that's fine, it's individual choice. Does that answer your question?

No, it confuses the hell out of me!

It was ned who appeared to be living in a place he thought was grotty, and i wondered why people would choose to live in such a place, and replied to him as much.

You appear to like the town, as i do.

Anyway, not important, but it is confusing!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see a time in the not too distant future when a lot of the farang here in CM will make a move up to Chiang Rai........especially if they get around to building more condos up there. Still got the smoke in Feb-March -April but at least a lot less motor exhaust the rest of the time than in this grotty town.

I can see people opting for different places, but Chiang Rai ?? Worse pollution in March than Chiang Mai, and really nothing of interest that you don't have in any other Thai provincial capital.

I could see people moving a bit further from town while staying in Chiang Mai province; keep in mind some of the most remote areas in the whole country are still in Chiang Mai province. Those areas would feel even more remote (too remote actually) than Chiang Rai, so perhaps more realistic would be Samoeng, Chiang Dao, Mae On and all those. And Pai maybe.

Adding even more realism, most people do actually want an airport, hypermarket, movie theater, good hospital, a choice of restaurants and a place where you could buy modern stuff (a.k.a. a mall).. Oh wait... I just described Chiang Mai again. Shucks. :rolleyes:

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

I can see a time in the not too distant future when a lot of the farang here in CM will make a move up to Chiang Rai........especially if they get around to building more condos up there. Still got the smoke in Feb-March -April but at least a lot less motor exhaust the rest of the time than in this grotty town.

I can see people opting for different places, but Chiang Rai ?? Worse pollution in March than Chiang Mai, and really nothing of interest that you don't have in any other Thai provincial capital.

I could see people moving a bit further from town while staying in Chiang Mai province; keep in mind some of the most remote areas in the whole country are still in Chiang Mai province. Those areas would feel even more remote (too remote actually) than Chiang Rai, so perhaps more realistic would be Samoeng, Chiang Dao, Mae On and all those. And Pai maybe.

Adding even more realism, most people do actually want an airport, hypermarket, movie theater, good hospital, a choice of restaurants and a place where you could buy modern stuff (a.k.a. a mall).. Oh wait... I just described Chiang Mai again. Shucks. rolleyes.gif

Those places you've mentioned maybe already to remote....but Mae Rim,Mae Raem,Mae Saa and even Mae On are more realistic...IMO...and only 20-30 min from the city... smile.png

But then in a short time, Chiang Rai will be "grotty" too, and you will have helped make it so. (First heard that word in 'A Hard Day's Night' 50 years ago, how time flies!) All the new expats will be be grumbling that CR airport isn't "World Class". And saying can't something be done about all of the low rent farangs blowing through town on the way to visa runs in Mae Sai. And saying why can't we have really cool malls like they have in Chiang Mai. And saying why is there so much traffic, it's getting as bad as CM.

Etc.

But that "short time" could be 10 years of enjoyed life, before moving on to the next pasture. Change is normal and inescapable.

• Like 1

Adding even more realism, most people do actually want an airport, hypermarket, movie theater, good hospital, a choice of restaurants and a place where you could buy modern stuff (a.k.a. a mall).. Oh wait... I just described Chiang Mai again. Shucks. rolleyes.gif

As usual I tend to agree with Winnie, I haven't found many places in Thailand as dull as Chiang Rai. One of the great things about Chiang Mai is that you have the best of both worlds with all the modern facilities that he mentions above as well as some beautiful countryside within 30 minutes drive from town.

• Like 2

As usual I tend to agree with Winnie, I haven't found many places in Thailand as dull as Chiang Rai. One of the great things about Chiang Mai is that you have the best of both worlds with all the modern facilities that he mentions above as well as some beautiful countryside within 30 minutes drive from town.

I could possibly see Khon Kaen, Udon or Nong Khai as candidates. Possibly because people would still want a city, just smaller and fewer tourists? Those places are survivable I think.

maybe...they still don't have the character of Chiang Mai in my opinion and I might be wrong but the countryside isn't as good either. I've never been to Korat but I like the idea it is fairly close to Khao Yai National Park which is one of my favourite parts of Thailand.

Germany is one of the finest countries in the world

Not if you like the beach and tropical fruit. (and hate salty food)

I spent two years in Germany and I liked it :)

Oh, and Thai food is not salty? Not to mention loaded with sugar :)

maybe...they still don't have the character of Chiang Mai in my opinion and I might be wrong but the countryside isn't as good either. I've never been to Korat but I like the idea it is fairly close to Khao Yai National Park which is one of my favourite parts of Thailand.

Nah, Korat is pants too.