Suthep writes to Obama, affirming non-violent campaign

webfact

Real attempt at violence if they march on Chalerms house.

It will be writ large who starts it and who supports it (army) if it kicks off.

Don't think that Thaksin and the Gov havn't noticed that Suthep is down to his last few hundred morons.

It's saturday night and he didn't manage 1,000 even with live music, markets and his staff. Given that PDRC published in the media that they were paying 2,000 staff, and bodyguards (so popular is their man) this leave the amount of actual protesters somewhere in the region of 200 - 300 max.

Might be, 1,000 but they are not all followers.

Time may be approaching for a clear out of the mob. Sure the Army may protect them to keep it going for a bit longer.

But... It's a flop. Suthep is toast and his supporters will soon be rounded up from all the 1,000 of pics on facebook of them damaging property. Police have 10 year statute to get them....... and they will!!! :)

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The honourable poster Khun Piichai counting protesters!attachicon.gifMr__Magoo.png

Personal attacks, Khun Soi41? I thought you were better than that.

No, that was actually a try to inject a little humor into the endless rhetoric on this thread!

Clearly not very succesful!sad.png

Some people take themselves way too seriously!!coffee1.gif

Well, humor is good, thus you're invited to join Gweiloman and I as we document the crowd on Tuesday evening.

Looking forward to meeting you.

This is simply untrue. The number of protesters at the sites varies throughout the day. In the evenings, the sites are packed.

It's also important to point out that unlike the Shins having to pay people to show up, protesters are inundating Suthep with donations.

Pretty telling, IMO.

Hundreds, not thousands. lots more at a sek loso concert

attachicon.gifphoto (42).JPG

Just went past Asoke i can confirm this is about tright in numbers,

Your phone can't take photos? Guess people will just have to tune into Blue Sky to have a look.

Why would i take photos ? I see the place every day, im not in the slightest bit bothered if people believe bluesky or reality just saying what i see with my own eyes not a TV camera angle.

And no dont ask to meet, I dont meet people from TV and i dont have the time to stroll about counting beans when I have a business to run

Have a good Tuesday though smile.png

• Like 1

Hmmm... I saw passion in that clip, not violence.

And money can't buy passion.

What's your point?

Passion and violence...not a great mix

Perhaps, but I didn't see any violence in the clip. Did you? If so, where?

I saw shrieking,screeching, irrational nonsense....and the potential for violence as she was cheered on by mindless twerps (who didn't have a clue what she was saying....they were simply braying in support)

Oh, so now it's *potential* for violence. I understand.

Yes, a violent manner, violent , aggressive language designed to lead to conflict....it was pretty obvious to me. An intimitadating and threatening environment, if you prefer

Oh yeah, a violent manner for sure!

I don't know, man. I've been in some pretty bad places, and her manner wouldn't rate on my radar.

Violent to me is more like shooting M-79s at the Sala Deng station or refineries in Rangist, or burning down buildings in Bangkok.

But everyone can watch the vid and decide for themselves and compare.

That hardly sounds like a letter which would have been written by an educated ex politician. I doubt very much if the U.S President would even read the lunatics letter, a 10 yr old would have more chance than Suthep as he/she would be more articulate.

post-122647-0-03595000-1390660956_thumb.

post-122647-0-78729300-1390660992_thumb.

they have had their protest. It has failed, their numbers are falling and we just need more massive financial hits to the pockets of the backers.

This is simply untrue. The number of protesters at the sites varies throughout the day. In the evenings, the sites are packed.

It's also important to point out that unlike the Shins having to pay people to show up, protesters are inundating Suthep with donations.

Pretty telling, IMO.

Hundreds, not thousands. lots more at a sek loso concert

attachicon.gifphoto (42).JPG

Is he concert free, along with the food and drinks?

Your phone can't take photos? Guess people will just have to tune into Blue Sky to have a look.

Why would i take photos ?

To show others that aren't fortunate enough to be there. Anyone can say anything (as we can easily see in this thread), but it's hard to dispute the photos.

And no dont ask to meet, I dont meet people from TV and i dont have the time to stroll about counting beans when I have a business to run

Have a good Tuesday though

Well, that's a shame. Was thinking if you had so much time to post, you also had time to back it up.

But we'll try to do our best without you.

You will be missed.

• Like 1

May I inform Mr. PiiChai Bluesky is the channel behind Suthep, or that Suthep is behind Bluesky?

So, pointing to Bluesky to find objective information doesn't seem the right thing to do....

A simple photo on Thaivisa, would be most probably more representative than that channel.

Edited by kriswillems

Mr Obama isn't going to do squat to support Suthep who's universally seen as a thug breakin laws left and right to install his own junta a la Pol Pot.

Mr Obama also isn't going to take kindly to Ms. Kenney and the US Embassy being threatened. ( I wish they would attempt to attack it, , then they get a badly needed dose of medicine.)

Suthep seems to make a habit of intimidating language; He'll "storm , or kidnap or, ..."whatever. He's acting like a thug, a low class taxi mafia type criminal. He threatened Ms. Yingluck with the same sort of rabble and Mr Obama isn't going to let his Asian GF get hurt

Yes , Suited Up Thugsy has some yahoos, maybe a few thousand now, out of a 60 + million populace, yahoos dwindling by ALL accounts who are having a fine field day, all dressed up for a party in red white and blue, gawd that is nauseatingly familiar, but as the far right in the USA has lost legitimacy, power and even their minds some say, so will Suited- up Thugsy

So will he be arrested, get the death penalty? I suppose he'll plead out, or will he flee to perpetual self exile? Perhaps retreat to Phuket where the crowd is a little bigger, and more uniform in support. Jaysus, that is alikely scenario-My gawd it really is time to GTFO of Phuket.

Stay Tuned Folks , to to ..er, . Sky News...? Isn't that the Thai equivalent of Fox news?

Edited by EBlair48
  • Like 1

Six million or five million; I won't quibble. But just compare that to *any* of the Shins' "Million Man Marches."

There is no debate whether current crowds exceed 1000. There are some people telling the truth, and others attempting to mislead by prevarication. Anyone can Google Blue Sky Online and have a look for themselves.

While it's true that the present daily numbers are less than five or six million that showed up for the kick-off, my observation that the day-to-day numbers remain fairly constant. Except for immediately after the Victory Monument when the numbers actually swelled.

Happy to meet Gweiloman on Tuesday, and we can document the sites together. Can't get more fair and balanced than that.

Gweiloman, send me a PM, and let's do this!

6 million? No.

600,000? No.

60,000? That's a lot closer to the truth.

• Like 2

Here for the fools who think there were more than 200-300 supporters today.

From the Nation as well - so even they know that PDRC have 2,000 paid staff at the rally.

PLEASE ALL YOU NON-BELIEVERS... THIS IT PDRC SAYING THEY HAVE 2,000 PAID GUARDS AND STAFF. now give it up

Truth really does hurt, but we are calling BS on this Coup and its lies about support. They have run out of steam and need rounding up.

the army have a detachment undercover to prevent attacks on the marchers, and add in sutheps bodyguards. Half the march is his people and the other 100-200 (during the week) were protesters. They had to head to office blocks at lunchtime to have anything resembling a crown. Then back home down Suk in the afternoon with 100-200 lost souls.

All captured on film and posted on Twitter and instagram.. but funnily enough glossed over on Bluesky

30224504-01_big.gif

• Like 2

thank god for wiki leaks.

George is Sutheps name from his college days. Then he got lots of degrees in US... but can barely speak english.

Anyway, we should not knock him... at least he triedn

untitled.jpg

Exactly what I was talking about in post above. I guess my question about who wrote letter has been answered if I would have just been patient enough to make it to the end of this thread. Suthep wrote his own letter.

• Like 2

Six million or five million; I won't quibble. But just compare that to *any* of the Shins' "Million Man Marches."

There is no debate whether current crowds exceed 1000. There are some people telling the truth, and others attempting to mislead by prevarication. Anyone can Google Blue Sky Online and have a look for themselves.

While it's true that the present daily numbers are less than five or six million that showed up for the kick-off, my observation that the day-to-day numbers remain fairly constant. Except for immediately after the Victory Monument when the numbers actually swelled.

Happy to meet Gweiloman on Tuesday, and we can document the sites together. Can't get more fair and balanced than that.

Gweiloman, send me a PM, and let's do this!

6 million? No.

600,000? No.

60,000? That's a lot closer to the truth.

Truth, . . . corruption . . . It's all just a matter of degree.

• Like 1

Have a good Tuesday though

Well, that's a shame. Was thinking if you had so much time to post, you also had time to back it up.

But we'll try to do our best without you.

You will be missed.

Many apologies but I shan't be able to come on this photo shoot either. But do make sure you get us some good clear shots of those thousands, nay millions, of protesters. If possible, I'd like to see Mr Suthep in the foreground of one photo, please, leading the huge crowd as they are greeted and cheered by the grateful population of the capital. You might also get us a low angle image to show the tickertape and roses being showered on him and the 5 million from office-workers in all the tall buildings around Asoke.

Oh, and it would be great if you could take a nice clear close-up shot of that lady who was ranting and spitting about Obama (if she's still at liberty).

Edited by tilac2

P.S. My followers are peace-loving people as well. Just watch attached video - which is self explanatory - but might need some seriously edited sub-titling.

What's your point?

Lovely. She's screaming about corruption. Yay. Let's get on the Suthep anti corruption band wagon....

Obama knows very well about non elected political interests like the Tea Party trying to overthrow an elected government by "non violent" means. Suthep won't find much sympathy from Obama I'm afraid. Clearly this dimwit didn't do much research on American politics before writing his letter.

But I guess he does represent the inbred classes of society, so intelligence isn't their strong point.

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 1

That hardly sounds like a letter which would have been written by an educated ex politician. I doubt very much if the U.S President would even read the lunatics letter, a 10 yr old would have more chance than Suthep as he/she would be more articulate.

Suthep is one of hundreds of foreign political or other categories of crackpots who each year write an open letter to the President of the United States. What happens to their letters?

Suthep's posted letter arrived at the center outside Washington where all correspondence to the White House is directed and where machines inspect for dangerous substances or contents. Once cleared the letters and photos are sent to the White House.

There, a full time staff of 20 people sort the mail by category, priority, importance. Additionally, a succession of readers are assigned the job of weeding out the letters based on their importance or their inane banality . Few letters make it past the first two or three readers.

The ten of every 1000 letters that do clear the final reader will never be read by the president. Instead, letters judged worthy of policy responses are forwarded to content experts and advisors who influence the president and his policies.

The major flaw of Suthep's letter, according to those who know, is that of protocol, i.e., it did not request a response from the president. These letters are considered by White House screening staff to be self-promotional stunts that are done primarily to draw attention to the sender back in his home country.

attention-seeker.gif

Suthep's letter therefore is likely to be dumped in the file shown in the middle photo below, the "No Response Necessary" file. Or, it may be referred by White House staff to the State Department for disposition.

The DepState's likely disposition of Suthep's letter will be to refer it back to Ambassador Kenney in Bangkok. Amb Kenney already will have advised her chief of staff or consul general to assign a note of receipt to be written to Suthep by a junior assistant consul also to be signed by him.

The Madman Saga continues.

Meanwhile, here's from a NYT article recently about the president's mailman at the White House.

The President’s Mailman

Mike Kelleher, the director of the White House Office of Correspondence, looks through some of the letters that have arrived at the White House. On a recent day, boxes containing 300 to 500 pieces of mail each were stacked three-high in a corridor.

27828460.JPG

Photo: Andrew Councill for The New York Times

Some mail is chucked into a bin marked N.R.N., no response necessary.

27828442.JPG

When mail comes in, it is sorted according to addressee. And there is a mailbox -- simply labeled "dog" -- for the White House pet.

27828448.JPG

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2009/04/20/us/0420LETTERS_5.html

Edited by Publicus
  • Like 2

From the Nation as well - so even they know that PDRC have 2,000 paid staff at the rally.

PLEASE ALL YOU NON-BELIEVERS... THIS IT PDRC SAYING THEY HAVE 2,000 PAID GUARDS AND STAFF. now give it up

Truth really does hurt, but we are calling BS on this Coup and its lies about support. They have run out of steam and need rounding up.

the army have a detachment undercover to prevent attacks on the marchers, and add in sutheps bodyguards. Half the march is his people and the other 100-200 (during the week) were protesters. They had to head to office blocks at lunchtime to have anything resembling a crown. Then back home down Suk in the afternoon with 100-200 lost souls.

All captured on film and posted on Twitter and instagram.. but funnily enough glossed over on Bluesky

30224504-01_big.gif

Why don't you go down to a protest site and open your eyes?

P.S. My followers are peace-loving people as well. Just watch attached video - which is self explanatory - but might need some seriously edited sub-titling.

What's your point?

Lovely. She's screaming about corruption. Yay. Let's get on the Suthep anti corruption band wagon....

Couldn't quite understand how America or Obama got blamed for the Thai political standoff, but I'm sure it makes a lot of sense in her mind.

And the reason that people are poor and have no job probably has less to do with corruption and more to do with the fact these people spend all day protesting, blocking streets, shutting down businesses, preventing people going about their business and driving away tourists.

Irrational behavior often occurs when people have their beliefs defeated by truth and facts.

Suthep clarifies PDRC's intentions in letter to Obama; Noppadon counters his claims
The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- People's Democratic Reform Committee secretary-general Suthep Thaugsuban has sent a letter to US President Barack Obama, affirming that the PDRC campaign to fight a "corrupt" and "dictatorial" regime would be non-violent.

In Suthep's letter to Obama, he said the PDRC was a pro-democracy movement. The letter was written in response to questions from the international community, he said.

In the letter, Suthep alleged that the Yingluck government had obtained power by violating democratic principles, including buying votes and manipulating the electoral system.

"Please let me assure you that the PDRC is not conducting an anti-democratic uprising. In fact, the PDRC is a pro-democracy movement intent on removing the dictatorial regime led by Yingluck Shinawatra, who has been empowered through and directed by her elder brother, Thaksin Shinawatra," Suthep wrote.

"While both Thaksin and Yingluck were both elected by the people of Thailand, both their elections and their governance represent the gravest of violations of democratic principles - including vote buying and electoral manipulation by the state - and over the past several months, millions of people representing the whole of Thailand have risen up to object," he wrote.

"The PDRC strategy is based on non-violent civil disobedience. While many of Thaksin's supporters have objected strenuously to our use of civil disobedience, please let me remind you that throughout the world, people have claimed their rightful independence, received recognition of civil rights, fought apartheid, and defeated Communism through this same civil disobedience. I will argue that Thai citizens are morally responsible to rise up and demand removal of both Yingluck and the influence of Thaksin, then define and implement the reform necessary to ensure that the Kingdom of Thailand remains free from unjust and corrupt leaders in the future. Most importantly, a reform that will bring about free and fair elections and a truly representative government," Suthep wrote.

Noppadon Pattama, legal adviser to former PM Thaksin Shinawatra, said yesterday he had sent an open letter to US President Barack Obama, countering the claims made by PDRC chief Suthep against the Yingluck administration in his letter to the US president.

Noppadon posted the Thai language version of the letter in his Facebook. The letter dismissed Suthep's allegations that the Yingluck government was dictatorial and that the Shinawatra family ran the country with oppression, neglecting human rights. The letter denied that the government came to power through vote-buying and accused Suthep of leading an illegal and violent protest, not a form of civil obedience as claimed.

The letter dismissed Suthep's claim of campaigning for reforms before election as merely an attempt to rise to power without being elected. The letter said the political party associated with Suthep had lost in every general election.

Meanwhile, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women, aka UN Women, issued a statement calling for more equality and respect of women, as threats and abusive language towards them have been prevalent during the Thai political conflict.

UN Women's statement cited increasing political participation of women in Thailand. However, the agency still called for changes in the conduct of men and women to promote equality.

"In Thailand as elsewhere, women's participation in political processes and leadership remains at a low level. This is caused in part by discriminatory practices and political cultures that devalue women's worth and impede their contributions. Many women are reluctant to enter political life because they anticipate sexual harassment and gender-based abuse and disrespect," the statement said.

"In the context of Thailand's current political situation, it is a serious concern to learn of the use of abusive language against women to score points for a political agenda. Commentary and images which are sexually abusive and which demean women on the basis of their sex and gender roles should not be tolerated or encouraged. Thailand has made much progress both in its laws and policies to secure the empowerment of women and gender equality. This progress will be expanded when more women engage with and influence the political and governance processes in both the public and private spheres. For this to happen, we need an environment which is respectful of the rights and dignity of all," said the statement.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-26

30224504-01_big.gif

Why don't you go down to a protest site and open your eyes?

Still won't find 6 million people as claimed by the madman suthep