Gassan Lake , Being Renovated by Schmidt-Curley

LarryBird

I think this duo also did Siam Plantation. Never played it- looks like a lot of bunkers from what I can see from the adjoining freeway.

They also renovated Royal Lakeside I think. Made it tougher. I hope they were not responsible for deciding to dump so much sand in the bunkers.

Too many US designers employed on Asian courses. Who wants US style links wherever you go.

Regardless, it will still be a big improvement. I agree though, they could definitely stand to reinvent themselves in terms of their bunkering and typical green-side designs.

I do appreciate the usual anti-American sentiment. We don't get enough of it around here.

I think this duo also did Siam Plantation. Never played it- looks like a lot of bunkers from what I can see from the adjoining freeway.

They also renovated Royal Lakeside I think. Made it tougher. I hope they were not responsible for deciding to dump so much sand in the bunkers.

Too many US designers employed on Asian courses. Who wants US style links wherever you go.

I don't know of any US designed links courses in Thailand. Can you name a few?

They started on this almost a year ago so not exactly news.

Liked he course as it was when the prices were also reasonable although they never had any proper management or pricing structure.

Interesting to see if they will be competitive when they reopen.

I also enjoyed Lake City, but increasing rates and poor maintenance made it undisireable. As an aside, yesterday, after passing up Gold Canyon- had to take a power buggy for a rate of 1600B, went to Gassan Khuntan who offered a rate of 1500B even with DL and CMSG member card. I asked about Lake City and they said open April. Didn't say which year. Didn't like the rate as the place was deserted so we ended up at Mae Mo which has been transformed by all new greens, bunkers and all the area around the greens. Dramatic changes and I like it even more now. It's a few strokes harder with smaller, contoured greens and new bunkers on every hole, also a few new fairway bunkers. Magic for 700B. Almost deserted, worth the drive.

• Like 1

I also enjoyed Lake City, but increasing rates and poor maintenance made it undisireable. As an aside, yesterday, after passing up Gold Canyon- had to take a power buggy for a rate of 1600B, went to Gassan Khuntan who offered a rate of 1500B even with DL and CMSG member card. I asked about Lake City and they said open April. Didn't say which year. Didn't like the rate as the place was deserted so we ended up at Mae Mo which has been transformed by all new greens, bunkers and all the area around the greens. Dramatic changes and I like it even more now. It's a few strokes harder with smaller, contoured greens and new bunkers on every hole, also a few new fairway bunkers. Magic for 700B. Almost deserted, worth the drive.

Yet to get down to Mae Mo though threatening to do so one day.

2 hours from Chiang Mai?

Yet to get down to Mae Mo though threatening to do so one day.

2 hours from Chiang Mai?

Probably a bit more.. It's a bit outside of the main city of Lampang. If I remember 1/2 hour - 45 mins.

• 9 months later...

Gassan Lake City called Gassan Legacy reopened 15th November. Official opening 1st December.

Must use golf cart, no prices for Thai residents so weekday round is THB3400, weekend round THB3900 - I don't think it will be too busy!

More info ChiangmaiGolfCourses .com/blog

Yes, Mae Mo is an EGAT course. Very close close to the huge coal generating plant and overlooks the massive lignite mine. It's a comfortable 1.75 hour or so drive. Well worth the drive, go early and play twice! It's never been busy the times I have been.

I took a ride on my motorbike around the Gassan Legacy course in May, before any grass was laid. The front nine is much the same with re-positioned greens and tees. Water hazards are re-shaped and lots of new bunkers. The old #4 is going to be very tough with the green moved further back and the (pointless) bunker along the water now permanently submerged. #8 also looks to have a green a little further back. #9 is shorter with the green just over the pond. Front nine is going to be tough. The back nine was mostly unrecognizeable. The Google satellite view is very recent and shows the changes. I hope they offer a resident rate, it could become a favourite. If anyone goes, pick up some membership info and post it.

• 2 weeks later...

According to info on Chiang Mai Social Golfers website, Legacy has a resident rate of 1500B for golf/caddie/power cart. Weekday rate, weekends 2000B

Confirmed. From one of the worst deals to one of the best in a flash.

Updated ChiangmaiGolfCourses .com/blog