Dressing Thai in the UK

manxninja

Just Been to a house party with the British husband of a thai lady.

Why to Brits and other nationals feel the need to dress up in Thai traditional clothes when having a Thai get together.

Does it give them a belief they are accepted as thai, all very bizarre, these people usually impress the other guests with their thai language, nothing wrong with that of course, but I'm just there for the beer not to listen to piss stains bore me with stories of how they me their wife in a university.

Anyway to return to the question would you dress up in thai traditional thai clothes if your a Man for an informal get together.

I have been to many English/Thai Parties,and have never seen anyone dress in any way other than casual,which would fit in anywhere.

Apart from one guy who spent some time time in Pataya, 20 stone and wore some flowing multi coloured top,straight out of the mystical seventies! but i'm not counting him.

I notice from time to time the odd farang in public wearing what appears be a big scarf (but I mean big) of different colours around his neck like he just got married or something? Imagine a inner tube made of colourful cloth wrapped around your neck.

Don't think it has anything to do with the cold weather although might come in handy in the current environment.

Sorry this is not in the UK, maybe they do that there too.

I know I should probably know this after being here so long but couldn't really get up the courage to ask somebody if they lost a bet or something while keeping a straight face.

Red silk trousers , open toes shoes and some bizarre thai silk shirt. Not really the norm in the uk in January while drinking carling.

Maybe he"s running away to join a Circus ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I just sit on the couch in my undies, quacking out sharp but rank farts, while the video version of how I met my wife plays repeatedly on a loop just to pee off whining, ungrateful guests who can't be mithered to put on their traditional Thai gear as requested in the invitation

• Like 1

Yes, why not? Getting on my pakoma, sua morhom and flip-flops is my idea of comfy evening wear, and just hope the host knows how to make ping gai and somtam.saep lai lai. You usually have to put up with these terrible chavs, looking like they are straight out of Pattaya in their Singha singlets and muay thai shorts who are only there for the beer and bore you to sleep about how they met their wife in a Patpong bar. Usually they end up vomiting all over their fake Nike trainers and passing out in the bathroom, but such is the cost of tolerance and generosity by the hosts for inviting all the people they know with the minutest connection with Thailand. burp.gif I say, live and let live, whatever you or others chose to wear.

kin ell!! used to carry a pakamah all the time when I was jungle or bush bashing, makes a great hammock, but wear it in uk never happen!used to wear it when taking an oildrum bath in the 60,s,,the grandkids use it as a hammock these days,