Beware Internet Explorer 11 - it's a DOG

Gsxrnz

I'm posting this in the General forum because many may not read this in the computer forum.

My IE upgraded to version 11 automatically. This version is a dog! Many sites (including thaivisa.com) do not appear to support this version so I have been unable to get into TV for 4 days or so. The page would just not load. The same applied to one of my banking sites so it's been a nightmare.

I searched the web to try and resolve the issue and all of the regular "fixes" failed - clear cookies and history, reset DNS, reset HOSTS file, add site to trusted, etc etc. I even uninstalled 11 and reinstalled 8, but I suspect some of the program remained in place because it didn't revert. Even Chrome and Firefox couldn't load the pages.

It was only through sheer luck that I stumbled across a fix that involves using Developer Tools (F12) and changing the compatibility mode to IE8 and the Document Mode to IE8 standards.

My recommendation - stay away from this version and make sure your Windows setting are not set to auto update Internet Explorer.

Mods - were you aware that TV has an issue with the new version of IE?

I just tried and had no problem loading TV with IE 11. I think it's something else on your computer or its settings. I'm using Win 7 Ultimate btw.

Do you have any third party software like anti-malware or popup blocker or something that could be interfering?

firefox is works fine for me

Just like Chrome, Firefox in my experience is dreadful for downloading programmes which come in several parts, or i you are downloading a few at a time. IE is good for this, though not much else.

Hahaha...you're still using Windoze in 2014 and you're talking about "dogs"??

If I ever grow a beard, start wearing sandals and only showering once a month I might consider using Linux as my main OS. If I want to be told what hardware I can use, I'll go for OS X. Until then, I will use Windows because it works well.

Edited by inthepink
  • Like 1

IE11 has been out for months....ThaiVisa initially had some compatibility problems with IE11 but ThaiVisa got that fixed. I use Chrome and IE11 on ThaiVisa...and both browsers work fine on all websites...in fact, IE11 works better on some websites. I use IE11 with Win 7 and Win 8.1...no problems. A person may need to set some sites to Compatibility Mode when using IE11...just like you had to do with IE10, IE9, etc. OP sounds like he has a IE11 and/or network setup problems. Have tried Firefox...it's OK, but it's slower than Chrome and IE11 and has other issues which I didn't like. I settled on Chrome as my primary browser and IE as my secondary browser.

Edited by Pib