room in budget hotel or cheap guesthouse & apartments

moosa11

i am planing to spend 6-7 nights in Chiang Mai in the 1st or 2nd week of April2014. i would love to get double room in clean budget hotel, or cheap gueshouse & apartment near Old city, or night Bazaar,..if anybody can get me some suggestions and recomandation.

Friends stayed in La Mer off soi 6 Moon Muang (old city) last week-cheap;big rooms-they liked it.

Looking for budget rooms for someone else and came across Villa Oranje (off Saturday Walking Street-Wua Lai)-Dutch owners, also cheap place. Check websites/Asiarooms for both.

Good luck-you will have no probs finding somewhere at that time

'

You mean just one room right? Or are you looking for something with two bedrooms, or connecting bedrooms?

If just a single room (for two people) then just go on Tripadvisor and browse. 6-7 nights isn't usually considered long term enough to warrant a special rate, though you can always try for a discount of course.

One thing though: FIrst week of April versus second week of April makes a HUGE difference, because of Songkran, the Thai New Year holiday. This is the major holiday of the year and kicks off on the 12th and lasts until (and including) the 15th. Several places may charge more during those days, especially mid-range places where Thai tourists might stay.

So before doing anything else, you will want to decide if you want to do Songkran in Chiang Mai, or some place else. I personally love it, and if you like that sort of thing then few places are better than Chiang Mai. If you want to avoid it however then the holiday is much shorter in the South. (Just the 13th basically for the water fest, though if is still the national holiday period so again prices may be higher and availability may be less).

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Try the Immotel on Taipai Gate. Might get it for 800 baht. Clean, new, comfortable with wifi. Crap breakfast so try for room only and get noodles outside or a mcmuffin if you love fast food

Edited by iancnx

my budget around 400 - 700 BHT per night for double room,.. i hope to get free wi fi internet in the room,.

At 400 you're in guesthouse territory, OR far away from the city center. Guesthouses are less likely to be okay with you making local friends and inviting them over. At 700 that's cheap hotel territory; much more tolerant to guests. Say, places like the Bautong Lodge.

At the lower end, perhaps something like Chiang Mai Kristi House (about 300 for a double I think). (i.e. a guesthouse that has a bit of a local apartment feel.) Didn't used to have an issue with guests, not sure if that changed or not. Good location too.

• Like 1