Buying A Cell Phone In Bangkok

tomx2

Hi.

This will be my first time in Thailand for an extended period :o

I will be in Thailand for 4 months starting in June.

I will need a temporary cell phone to use for:

1. Receiving emergency calls from the United States

2. Calling in Thailand or USA no more than 4 or 5 times during the 4 months.

3. I do not really need SMS messaging.

My understanding MBK (located next to National Stadium) is the best place to start.

Questions.

What brand(s) will best fit my needs that are not expensive?

What do I require to get the mobile phone activated?

I am looking for a pay as-you-go plan, what should I get?

Do I need to register the cell phone number. Can this be done at MBK?

Thanks.

Tom.

Just as a PS...if you do (bring your own) make sure its unlocked or can be as there are 1 or 2 brands that that lads and lassies at MBK-SECON & Central still have a problem with.....

Try Ebay - unlocked quad band. :o Then buy a sim when you arrive.

Don't bother with ebay or even a quad band unless you can buy it real cheap or you really want to buy one.

Check prices before you buy and DO NOT BUY Thai SIM on ebay, it may not work when you get there and at 199 Baht if you pay more than 5$ total including P&P then you are paying too much for it.

If you only want a phone for 4 months and then chuck it or give it to someone, go to MBK and buy a cheap or even second hand, there are hundreds of basic model.

A SIM is only a few hundred Baht The last special offer I saw was 199 with 50 baht calls. You will need to spend X amount each month to keep your number, actual will depend on which SIM/company you buy.

Thailand is trying to get all SIMs registered to the person who owns it, this is still in limbo but could come back to life at any time after all TIT.

Hope this helps come back if you want more

Bring your own phone if it is GSM compatible.

The coverage for CDMA in Thailand is limited.

Then buy a SIM as others have suggested and let your US friends know the Thai number.

Try Ebay - unlocked quad band. :D Then buy a sim when you arrive.

Don't bother with ebay or even a quad band unless you can buy it real cheap or you really want to buy one.

Check prices before you buy and DO NOT BUY Thai SIM on ebay, it may not work when you get there and at 199 Baht if you pay more than 5$ total including P&P then you are paying too much for it.

If you only want a phone for 4 months and then chuck it or give it to someone, go to MBK and buy a cheap or even second hand, there are hundreds of basic model.

A SIM is only a few hundred Baht The last special offer I saw was 199 with 50 baht calls. You will need to spend X amount each month to keep your number, actual will depend on which SIM/company you buy.

Thailand is trying to get all SIMs registered to the person who owns it, this is still in limbo but could come back to life at any time after all TIT.

Dunno can get some rather cheap deals on Ebay for unlocked mobiles. Go for a model thats been out for a year. :o

Since I am leaving for Bkk next week, and most of the cells (I noticed) on Ebay are still being bided on which could delay my shipping, I’ll buy one at MBK.

As you mentioned, I can also purchase a SIM card for activation with X number of calls per Baht. No registration is required at this time. This should provide me with local and long distance.

Question: Not sure if I am asking this correctly, But if my SIM card is expiring and I still have X amt of calls remaining, will that be transferred onto my new SIM card.

Thanks for your help.

Tom.

No - Sim Cards keep value until either you let it expire and lose what value you have or you top off simcard with more dosh which pushes back the expiration date.

-Can get a second hand in MBK for for less than 3000bht with Sim and 300bht credit. :o

Since I am leaving for Bkk next week, and most of the cells (I noticed) on Ebay are still being bided on which could delay my shipping, I’ll buy one at MBK.

As you mentioned, I can also purchase a SIM card for activation with X number of calls per Baht. No registration is required at this time. This should provide me with local and long distance.

Question: Not sure if I am asking this correctly, But if my SIM card is expiring and I still have X amt of calls remaining, will that be transferred onto my new SIM card.

Thanks for your help.

Tom.

When your card is about to expire (you can check your account and the date of expiration by calling a number) you only need to buy a recharge card and the remainder of your account is added to the new amount.