thai birthcert name change

brasso

hi, i have asked before if any knows what is involved in getting the thai birth cert changed if it can be done or not.

my now wife did not put my name on the birth cert as the farther she put her brothers name as the farther ie family name we just got married, can i go to family court and try to get myself as the farther, do i need dna test how long for results after that what do i need to do what documents do i need in court,dna cost in udon, then if i am reconisied by the court can a new birth cert be gained with me as the farther, i wish to apply to the british embassy for a passport so i will neeed to show them that i am the dad(as i know i am), does anyone know how the family court of thailand works, the cost etc many t5hanks for all help

I think you should talk to the amphur first to have it changed. Many Thais fill in the name of a family member, rather than leaving the BC blank so it is not an unusual situation. The amphur can tell you what your options are, without going to court.

• 4 weeks later...

Bear in mind things can be very different from one amphoe to another. But we have just been through this (last week) and failed to get name changed. The stumbling block is that it is a quite serious crime in Thailand to falsify a birth cert and the person who signed his name (and my wife's aunt who arranged it with the best of intentions) face something like 5 years jail if it goes 'official'. And this was a case where everyone agrees to do it for the sake of the child, there are no objections or counterclaims of paternity etc. Even with the village headman pitching in, we have come up against a brick wall. If it had been, say, a fine of B10,000, they would have done it and I would have paid, but it's not that lenient..........

Bear in mind things can be very different from one amphoe to another. But we have just been through this (last week) and failed to get name changed. The stumbling block is that it is a quite serious crime in Thailand to falsify a birth cert and the person who signed his name (and my wife's aunt who arranged it with the best of intentions) face something like 5 years jail if it goes 'official'. And this was a case where everyone agrees to do it for the sake of the child, there are no objections or counterclaims of paternity etc. Even with the village headman pitching in, we have come up against a brick wall. If it had been, say, a fine of B10,000, they would have done it and I would have paid, but it's not that lenient..........

Wow! Only in Thailand.

Will be interesting to know if anyone has done this by changing the father. I have seen comments where this has been done, but I assume the father must have been left blank.