Visa run from Kanchanburi to Ban Nam Phu Ron Burma. AOK!

Can this be done by public transport?

You mentioned duty free?

How far out of Kanchanaburi?

I keep seeing b700, that is a huge sum to cross into Myanmar. Will they take us10 and what is the b200 for? Paperwork???

How about ten bucks all in?

Thanks

Edited by fifthcolumn

It is 500 baht for the visa and a 200 baht service charge to take your passport across a long stretch of no mans land to Myanmar immigration and back while you wait a Thai immigration.

There are no reports of them accepting dollars.

• Like 1

I was joking about Duty free unless you call a 20baht shop selling 3$ bottles of whisky duty free. That 200baht is for the hassle. I have lived in Thailand long enough to know 6$ for someone else to do all the work is not going to make me feel like I am being cheated. The visa is 500baht and 200baht for "paperwork"(copies,running up to Burma not having to deal with any Burmese immigration) We could have waited at the border but drove in to check out the other side. This really seems like a strait up lets make some money border. From what I understand its 100 to the Thais 100 to the Burmese everyone is happy. You can get a van out of Kburi for around 1k we drove ourselves(advantage of having a car) but if you can ride a motorbike its simple enough to do it yourself (the middle 5km is a bit rough due too road improvement and the Burmese side is a dirt road). Total distance 66km most of it being on really good roads.The border fixer office number is 085-2917209 if you have any questions.Just remember the intersection I posted a picture of its really easy to miss.

• Like 1

I like the idea of ditching Poipet but it appears the cost from BKK to be about b1k. For b1250 I can do rt to border, visa and a bottle of premium booze.

I do need to move on, that runner is some serious bs now but 700, that's just nonsense. That is double the xing of the other Myanmar borders. Already too many hands out.

The logistics look daunting. Minivan from bkk, meet up with minivan to border and do it all in reverse. I could see getting stuck in Kanchan on the way back, missing connections due to wait times.

Thanks for info though, not for me (yet).

Edited by fifthcolumn

Briggsy, on 29 Jan 2014 - 12:37, said:

It won't last. Wait till the minibuses full of visa runners start using it.

There is a Minibus service already from Kan to the Ban Nam Phu Ron Burma boarder btw.

Win (how has a PR) thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Depends how comfortable you are riding a motorcycle Victory monument 140baht to Kburi Bike Rental 150baht 100baht petrol 3.5 hours round trip 700baht(I call BS the visa is 500 not 300 and if you want to drive that 4km on a motorbike its a rough ride) van back to Bkk 140baht. 1200 baht or just use the visa service next to the war cemetery 1700 baht all in. This is a crossing set up purely for visa runs you can't go into Burma past no mans land. Or made a day trip out of it since Kburi has a fair amount of things to enjoy. The roads are 75% strait and in good condition the other 25% is construction and cane waste on rough tarmac. The traffic is also very light from Kburi out especially once you head out into the countryside. I think the visa service out of Bkk is 2k. Again the border is as relaxed as it gets the Thai side is at most indifferent at best very polite and quick. You won't even see the Burma immigration guys its all done through the border service.Again not worth the 200baht savings to drive that extra 4km deal with the Burmese and Thais thinking you are the one guy taking their beer money for the evening. They are all buddy buddy up there even hung out and had a smoke with the Burmese border guards. Nice enough to even say Welcome to Myanmar(Do not call it Burma!) and welcome back to Thailand.

• Like 2

wrong this crossing is open for Myanmar visa holders to travel overland into Myanmar and is one of 4 Thai-Myanmar crossings where this is allowed.

It is not a land entry point for Farang in Burma only for visas. If you don't believe me go up there and try and get past the Burmese hard border(Not the 4k no mans land) Burmese migrant workers can go in and out but from what I understand westerners are only being given the exit stamps from Thailand so they can come back in not travel around Burma. I am not Burmese you are not Burmese and I really doubt many Burmese read TV so "Yes" Burmese(And Thai) can continue on past that point but not "Farang". There is no "Until" on the Burma visa only 1 day. I can post a picture if you like but you understand.

Edited by BigRick

wrong this crossing is open for Myanmar visa holders to travel overland into Myanmar and is one of 4 Thai-Myanmar crossings where this is allowed.

It is not a land entry point for Farang in Burma only for visas. If you don't believe me go up there and try and get past the Burmese hard border(Not the 4k no mans land) Burmese migrant workers can go in and out but from what I understand westerners are only being given the exit stamps from Thailand so they can come back in not travel around Burma. I am not Burmese you are not Burmese and I really doubt many Burmese read TV so "Yes" Burmese(And Thai) can continue on past that point but not "Farang". There is no "Until" on the Burma visa only 1 day. I can post a picture if you like but you understand.

You're wrong. Everyone with a Burmese visa can go in overland there. You haven't tried it but many others have. It has been reported numerous times on this forum that since August 28 of last year, this has been possible (go to the Myanmar forum for more info). Before that time, nobody could come through although in practice Burmese (but not Thais) came through at least to trade their wares. Now everyone can come through but you must have a Burmese visa to proceed inside Burma and this includes Thai citizens.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

You're wrong. Everyone with a Burmese visa can go in overland there. You haven't tried it but many others have.

I will try at the end of March because I actually would like to visit Burma from what I understand it is not a crossing border that one is farther north. Again I am just going on what we were told because we had no problem with driving in a few hours and seeing some of Burma for the day. You know how it is with these places ask 50 different people get 100 different answers.

You're wrong. Everyone with a Burmese visa can go in overland there. You haven't tried it but many others have.

I will try at the end of March because I actually would like to visit Burma from what I understand it is not a crossing border that one is farther north. Again I am just going on what we were told because we had no problem with driving in a few hours and seeing some of Burma for the day. You know how it is with these places ask 50 different people get 100 different answers.

Sure different people say different things (and many have not been updated), but believe me this border is one of the 4 Thai-Myanmar crossings that allow overland travel if you arrive on an embassy issued visa (and there is even a notice inside the Myanmar embassy in Bangkok that confirms this crossing is open for visa holders). For recent trip reports, please check out Lonely Planet's Thorntree forum and do a search or check out the Myanmar forum on TV.

Whether you have a visa or not, Thai or other foreign cars can't go much further than the Burmese immigration checkpoint except with special government permission from MTT (most Thai cars can easily enter Myawady for a day or go further inside the country on a tour, but of course you'd need to enter/exit via Mae Sot). Similarly, Thailand reciprocates and doesn't allow Burmese cars to go beyond the immediate vicinity of the Thai checkpoint at Phu Nam Ron, though in practice given how poor Myanmar is and the town on the other side (Tiki) being as small as it is, almost no Burmese vehicles would even attempt to cross into Thailand there as very few people in that area own a vehicle and even if they do, there's a good chance it was purchased in Thailand.

• Like 1

Remember that they drive on the right.

Win thumbsup.gif

Remember that they drive on the right.

Win thumbsup.gif

Funny you mention before I was very happy to drive on what I consider the right side of the road to drive on in my home country I felt like a postman with where the wheel was located. That is what I thought on the above post you just can't drive to the border and grab a visa to go into Burma just the crossing mixed reply.I can't imagine there being much past that check point other than the Burmese Buffalo display and maybe a interactive shanty town. :)

This unattributed trip report from late 2013 states how the traveler crossed here and then on wards to Dewei, http://www.southernmyanmar.com/transportation/phu-nam-ron-border-crossing-blog/

in this TV thread, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/636531-new-border-crossings/page-2

It is 500 baht for the visa and a 200 baht service charge to take your passport across a long stretch of no mans land to Myanmar immigration and back while you wait a Thai immigration.

There are no reports of them accepting dollars.

I'm wondering about this and queried it last Oct in another thread with a trip report post #37), http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/636531-new-border-crossings/page-2

I'll quote below what I wrote then. Whilst there does not appear to be any reports of people paying dollars I'm wondering if that is due to common practice and people being told to pay in thai baht as distinct from an OFFICIAL policy that USD are not accepted - which would be contrary to all other Burma crossings (I have used all of them) and official govt prices?

It would be good to nip this in the bud early rather than establishing a bad overpayment practice. It may well be like the Cambodia border at Hat Lek where for years they have only been accepting a fee of 1000 thai baht? (that may have changed)

My post in the other thread in response to a trip report;

Just a note that I assume as all other Burma land border crossings that the official entry fee is the normal US$10-. Or 500 baht which is of course over US$16.50-. Some people don't care but the official entry fee is preferable to pay in US$ thus creating less of an expectation in the future that everyone will pay the higher thai rate. (People should note that the Burmese immigration have been using an exchange rate of 50 baht from the late 90s)

While I understand that you wanted to relax and have a coffee you essentially payed 700 baht total when the cost is $10- or 300-310 baht)

It always pays to have a few new US small notes for these border crossings be it Burma, Cambodia or Laos as the entry/Visa fees are set in US $ but the baht rate is always as it is a much higher fee and the immigration staff exchange it to US dollars thus pocketing the difference (eg. Cambodia it is US$20 or 800 baht, even 1000 baht at one crossing is asked if you don't have US$)

This excludes any other non official 'processing' or 'assistance' fees which officials and 'helper's may ask.

One of the reasons that Aran-Poipet border crossing is know as of the worlds best scam borders crossings is that even with all of the info available most people still get taken for a ride. Currently, with the number of tour groups esp Russians, Koreans & Japanese crossing there the operators all charge the 800 baht fee plus the so called 100 baht processing fee' thus ensuring that every person pays 30% more to cross into Cambodia (and indeed a 100 baht 'processing fee' when they exit Cambodia). A nice little earner for the tour operators and immigration staff when one considers the numbers crossing at that border.

Thnakfully, the Burma crossings have never got that bad due to the low numbers and stricter rules. However, with huge number of tourists about to become a deluge into the country over the next 10 years the propensity is high. Hence, disseminating clear info and advising most to avoid the higher rates and

whatever other extras fees pop up over time will assist in creating a less corrupt, more transparent and painless crossing experience for the future....one at least hopes !

Where can I get the minivan from Kanchanaburi, maybe I will try.

Can I use ten dollars instead of b500?

That visa run service is bs, b1700ffs

I have read accounts and seen photos of farang tripping down to Dawaei. It wasn't much. But can confirm appears to have been done.

Where can I get the minivan from Kanchanaburi, maybe I will try.

Can I use ten dollars instead of b500?

That visa run service is bs, b1700ffs

I have read accounts and seen photos of farang tripping down to Dawaei. It wasn't much. But can confirm appears to have been done.

Hang on, 1700 from and back to BKK is not so bad if that's what you want. Including the visa apparently (usual disclaimers, by the way). You could do even cheaper if you hitch-hike, maybe? But not bs.

Except that company doesn't even answer the phone currently, so we wonder if they may have hit a snag, official or otherwise......

140 from Bkk to Kaburi they will drop you off where ever you like. The 2k baht service out of Bangkok(Posted above) is about par for the course Sawadee travel charges 1900 and that goes to Cambodia(A lot longer trip). I would also like to know if they take US then I totally forget a tourist visa since I live in Kanchanaburi. 60US + 1200 baht 14 hours of travel for 6 months beats 280 in van rides from here 6300 for the visa run and 3800 for extensions + 28 hours of travel. It is a bit of a long ride on a motorbike but I would have to say out of all the places I have lived in Thailand they drive very safe up here. Rooms are cheap also I think the Jolly Frog has a 10$ room.(Not sure since I have a house but I know its really cheap). The big danger over the next few weeks are the cane trucks they are not very good drivers and have no qualms about running people off the road(fatality X2 the day we went coming into Kburi). Lets hope this does not become Poi Pet I like the no nonsense set price for our troubles approach 200 baht should not be anything to complain about when you don't have to wait in line or drive into no mans land. If you have more than one person do not even bother with the visa service the ride would cost at max 1000baht since it is closer than Erawan. Most of the "touts" up here are not very touty just country folks trying to make a few bucks so you don't feel like you are in Phuket. You will also find the Thais in Kburi very nice in general friendly and hardly any double pricing going on.(Twice in the 8 months I have lived here one of them we laughed at the guy because clearly the menu listed 30 baht not 40)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

First of all...

Isn't the name of the town BAN PHU NAM RON ? Not Ban Nam Phu Ron?

Are there vans/buses that leave from the K'buri bus station area? They go all the way to the border not just to the town, I hope.

If there are other posts that explain this, sorry. It's hard to find them with a #%@%$@% tiny screen smart phone.

'nuff said

~

Border checkpoint is here:

13.897754, 99.083363

http://goo.gl/maps/tZAFE

And yes, the Thai village is transcribed as "Ban Phu Nam Ron" (not Ban Nam Phu Ron).

Nam Ron = hot water.

Phu Nam Ron = hot water springs

The correct word order is disputable, but that is what you find on the map in English and Thai.

Also seen on their banner:

http://www.kanchanaburi.go.th/au/phunumron/images/bannerphunumron.jpg

("num" used instead of "nam" whistling.gif )

And here on the signpost:

http://www.nature-success.com/private_folder/da1.jpg

A video in Thai language that shows the area and the checkpoint (incl. a map) can be found here:

http://news.voicetv.co.th/global/62383.html

It is from last year and shows busy construction work.

Guess they want to develop this route?

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

I was two time in Poipet. 48 THB TRAIN Makkasan BKK TO Aranyaprathet. 20$ Cambodia Visa. 6km to the border with my bicycle, or you can take tuk tuk or Songeou. One night 7 in Aranyaprathet, back 48THB. YOU WANTS MORE?