Exchanging USA 100s

gk10002000

Has anybody had any problems exchanging the new 100 US dollar bills? Or for that matter, now that the new ones are out, has anybody had any problems exchaning the older 100 dollar bills? I am wondering if I should choose one or the other to bring on my upcoming trip.

Since the banks or exchanges that buy the notes will then sell them to other customers, they usually won't accept bills that are damaged in any way, even if the damage is minor. They may also only accept the newest versions of the notes since people to whom they then sell those notes may only want the newest ones. So even bills that may be acceptable in the US despite minor nicks or stains or age, might not be accepted here.

In another thread someone was going on and on because a bank would not accept a torn pound sterling note (I don't recall the denomination) because of a small tear. His contention was that it would be considered acceptable by the Bank of England ... apparently unaware that the Bank of England doesn't operate in Thailand.

Edited by Suradit69