Solar powered lights

tykel68

My mum has these amazing lights that charge during the day and light the garden path at night.

I could really do with some for my home, any ideas where on Phuket I might get such a thing and also any places where I can find out more about solar power. Seems silly not to here.

These are the sort of thing I'm after. I'm in Rawai area

http://www.ebay.com.au/bhp/solar-powered-lights

Muchas gracias

Edited by tykel68
  • Like 1

These are very clever, however, in my opinion they are far too dim. I bought two for my garden in chins, where they are readily available both in shops and on line. When the sun goes down they turn themselves on, then the opposite at sunrise. They are also very robust, I knocked one of mine over as it wasn't bolted down, smashed all the glass but it still works. Just very very dim. I assume one can buy brighter ones but I am not an expert.

• Like 2

I would definitely be interested in learning which brands are good here, otherwise I'll import when someone visits.

It's kinda crucial for us as we're on total solar energy.

I think the solar panel lights are mostly toys, which can provide light for couple of hours after the sunset. You might be able to increase the time by replacing the 1.2V AA sized battery with a better one, but then the time would depend how much the small solar cell can charge the battery during the day.

In that case it might be best to do it by yourself. Purchase a solar panel, charger and large battery. Then Attach led lights to the battery with photovoltage meter, which switches on when it's dark enough.

BTW I bought this one (was trying to upload a pic, wouldn't let me, email me at michael at fanchants.com if u want to test one), with the intention of testing it out, at Homeworks near Central (Phuket). If anyone else fancies testing a brand feel free. They are all around 250 baht. Homepro have some sturdy looking ones too.

Initial reactions are that they are pretty dim but actually do the job required. I might use one as a bedroom light. The lights went on the first night and were on when I went to bed at 2am, so a good 8 hours and stil going. They didnt go in the ground until around 1pm, but I think they come charged.

Any other solar suggestions also welcome.

Looking at the solar panel option.

Hey thanks a lot for al,l the posts, really helpful. I've been here a while but haven't heard of Thai Wasuda? Imagining a shop like Big C? Where would they be located on Phuket?

Hi, The solar light that you show on ebay are not very good. Make your own, it is a lot easer than you think. here is one that I made with a 20w solar panel, 7ah battery, 10a controller, 5 watt LED light and some metal. If you what to know how to wire it up just ask.

This one lights up a good area and on an average day will stop on all night, if you want just a small light then use a smaller solar panel with a smaller LED.

post-163509-0-58378400-1391270574_thumb.

post-163509-0-00803000-1391270590_thumb.

post-163509-0-38877600-1391270609_thumb.

Yes please! Looks just the job that. Is it difficult. I'm not brilliant at DIY, I can usually get my head around thing though and have a mate whose probably more capable of pitting it together. So if you dont mind yeah I'd love to know how to do that. Where to get the shiz to do it would be also helpful if you are in Phuket.

• Like 1

Yes please! Looks just the job that. Is it difficult. I'm not brilliant at DIY, I can usually get my head around thing though and have a mate whose probably more capable of pitting it together. So if you dont mind yeah I'd love to know how to do that. Where to get the shiz to do it would be also helpful if you are in Phuket.

I live in Kanchanaburi BUT I can get all you need in solar. To wire it up is easy. Just make sure you wire the battery to the controller first and then the solar panel and then your load. It will show you on the controller which is which. Here is another I made for a friend and an idea I am making with an old army box.

post-163509-0-09485700-1391274339_thumb.

post-163509-0-40015100-1391274362_thumb.

post-163509-0-32397600-1391274471_thumb.

Check this out on Face Book https://www.facebook.com/groups/129910063831603/

Here is some idea how to make, if you want to keep it in one place just add 1m to the metal length to go in the ground.

post-163509-0-28704800-1391277207_thumb.