Malaria Fatality

hi50phd

Saw this posted on a travel forum. Since virtually no one dies of malaria when taking prophylactics, I wondered if the story might be inaccurate. Thanks.

"The parents of a Londonderry man have been speaking about their distress at the death of their son from a tropical disease.

Christopher Gallagher, 23, from Liscloon Drive, Shantallow, contracted the disease while backpacking. He died in Thailand on Saturday.

He had been taking anti-malarial drugs, but caught a very severe strain of the disease.

His mother, Mary, said when he rang on Friday, she knew that he was not well.

"I think he knew he was really ill. I did hear fear in his voice," she said.

"I'm sure he did know what it was really... malaria. You never think because he was taking the tablets and medication, I'm sure he must have thought he was protected," she said.

"You think that you are doing everything right, you will be very ill, but you will recover from it."

Christopher had gone backpacking after graduating from Queen's University in Belfast.

He was due home from his travels in a fortnight's time.

His father, Martin, said their son had been careful.

"He was smart enough to go and see the doctor three months before his journey, he went and got innoculated fully.

"He started on his tablets a week before going away, he stuck to all the advice from the doctor."

His family - Christopher also leaves a brother, Martin, - said they were "devastated" when they received a phone call on Saturday telling them that he had died. "