Swede gone missing with toddler, reunites with wife

webfact

Swede gone missing with toddler, reunites with wife

norby.jpg

For nine excruciating days, the mother of an 8-month-old boy feared for the worse when her Swedish husband ran away with the baby

The disappearance of the husband, identified as Jimmy Norby, with the baby, Charlie, on 20 January 2014 followed a quarrel at a resort in Chiang Mai where the couple had been staying.

Incidence of child abductions by a parent in mixed marriages is on the rise in Thailand.

Friends of the distressed wife then launched a frantic Facebook campaign, posting a photo of little Charlie with his father in an attempt to locate them. The photo has been shared widely.

Then on 25 January, the wife received a text message from her husband, indicating that they were in Pai district of Mae Hong Son.

The story ended well when Norby suddenly showed up at the Chiang Mai resort on 29 January and the family was happily reunited.

Source: http://scandasia.com/swede-gone-missing-toddler-reunites-thai-wife/

RETRACTION!

ScandAsia apologizes unreservedly for publishing the photo we mistakenly thought was that of the mother of the child and we have immediately deleted it. We did try several times to reach by phone the contact person mentioned in the outcry for help published on Facebook, but the phone was not taken. It was not explained on Facebook which nationality the mother was – it was widely assumed by people, who helped spread it, that she was Thai. We have now deleted any reference to the mothers nationality.

More details of the drama, which eventually ended happily, is in the comment by Lawrence below.

Gregers Moller

-- ScandAsia 2014-01-31

Edited by Tywais
Updated to reflect retraction

If Jimmy Norby is clever he tries to get his child a.s.a.p. double nationality. It looks like he hasn't Swedish nationality for the Little One and therefor he will be grilled 'forever'. Juridically Mother comes first and he second.

• Like 2

Yes, a happy ending but child abduction is evil and just about as cruel as it gets. Mr Sweden needs a shark kick up the khyber no matter whose fault the argument

No offence meant, but think a sharp kick would be more effective facepalm.gif

But you are correct, nothing worse than using kids to get back at each other. Very sad case in Australia in the past 2 weeks, dad did a runner with his child - both found dead - bloody awful - what is going on in the head to do that to a child?

And what was the reason that Norby and Charlie disappeared for nine days?

Hardly any of your (or TV's) business, particularly when asked in the tone you used.

If it's a topic, then posters are free to comment, if it wasn't our business at all then the topic would not be on view.

If you think this way report the fact to admin and ask them to delete the topic-or click on the get in touch with us button.

According to you we should all reply--------------------Oh the Swede run off with the child, but it's not our business ??

Yes, a happy ending but child abduction is evil and just about as cruel as it gets. Mr Sweden needs a shark kick up the khyber no matter whose fault the argument

I hope you don't live in a glass house my friend

Take the blinkers off

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Can't blame Thai visa for quoting another news source. Although this story breaks the record in the most mistakes in one article! At least you were smart enough not to publish the second picture of the article quoted (see below). I wrote the following to Scandasia.com:
1. The couple in question is NOT a Swedish/Thai couple. The father is Swedish and the mother is a Swedish citizen of Iranian origin, working for the Swedish government.
2. My friend (a Thai academic)and I, who live in Chiangmai, met the baby's mother on a long-distance train in Sweden about 13 months ago. We invited her and her child (then 7) to visit us in Thailand if she and her family wanted to do so. She was pregnant at the time.
3. She and her bf (father of the baby) stayed at our house for several days. They had a fight and he ran off with the baby.
4. My friend took the mother of the baby to various police stations and called hospitals, the consulate, etc, in an effort to locate the father and the baby.
5. After seven days, the father returned from Pai with the baby, stayed a couple of days, and left together for the south.
6. My friend never met this man before he arrived in January. It is most embarrassing for her (and for me, a lawyer and Swedish translator) to have to confront questions about this matter, particularly as you include a picture of my friend and the baby, which seems to identify her as the mother.
[name redacted] and I INSIST that you publish a retraction of this article, and an apology for being so irresponsible.
Lawrence (surname redacted)

• Like 2

RETRACTION!

ScandAsia apologizes unereservedly for publishing the a photo we mistakenly thought was that of the mother of the child and we have immediately deleted it. We did try several times to reach by phone the contact person mentioned in the outcry for help published on Facebook, but the phone was not taken. It was not explained on Facebook which nationality the mother was – it was widely assumed by people who helped spread it, that she was Thai. We have deleted any reference to the mothers nationality.

Gregers Moller

ScandAsia

• Like 1

RETRACTION!

ScandAsia apologizes unereservedly for publishing the a photo we mistakenly thought was that of the mother of the child and we have immediately deleted it. We did try several times to reach by phone the contact person mentioned in the outcry for help published on Facebook, but the phone was not taken. It was not explained on Facebook which nationality the mother was – it was widely assumed by people who helped spread it, that she was Thai. We have deleted any reference to the mothers nationality.

Gregers Moller

ScandAsia

Good to see they retracted the article!

Can't blame Thai visa for quoting another news source. Although this story breaks the record in the most mistakes in one article! At least you were smart enough not to publish the second picture of the article quoted (see below). I wrote the following to Scandasia.com:

1. The couple in question is NOT a Swedish/Thai couple. The father is Swedish and the mother is a Swedish citizen of Iranian origin, working for the Swedish government.

2. My friend (a Thai academic)and I, who live in Chiangmai, met the baby's mother on a long-distance train in Sweden about 13 months ago. We invited her and her child (then 7) to visit us in Thailand if she and her family wanted to do so. She was pregnant at the time.

3. She and her bf (father of the baby) stayed at our house for several days. They had a fight and he ran off with the baby.

4. My friend took the mother of the baby to various police stations and called hospitals, the consulate, etc, in an effort to locate the father and the baby.

5. After seven days, the father returned from Pai with the baby, stayed a couple of days, and left together for the south.

6. My friend never met this man before he arrived in January. It is most embarrassing for her (and for me, a lawyer and Swedish translator) to have to confront questions about this matter, particularly as you include a picture of my friend and the baby, which seems to identify her as the mother.

[name redacted] and I INSIST that you publish a retraction of this article, and an apology for being so irresponsible.

Lawrence (surname redacted)

Yes quite true, the press here in Thailand get away with printing what ever garbage they want about Farang. I have seen them hang draw and quarter people who have had nothing but an allegation thrown at them, and in most cases by Thai people. Pictures splattered all over the papers with headlines such as SEX WITH A MINOR, in one case that turned out to be nothing but a complete lie. If you want to take pictures of people accused of crimes do it at the court when it is reasonable to assume there is a case to answer to. Not in police stations on the day of the arrest.