Have landlords Every Right Here? Prying? Harrassing?

I have rented about 4times in Thailand and never had a problem with the land lords.

They never came in to my unit unless I asked them to.

Same as in he west they do nt have the right to enter with out your permission unless it is an emergencie like broken pipes , fire etc

Good luck

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P.S. Next time this happens, welcome him in, let him look around to his satisfaction and while he does make various requests: a new/better a/c unit/water heater; new paint job, appliance repair etc etc. This will generally trigger a flight response in landlords.

• Like 1

I think Sheryl has hit the nail square on. Even if it was old biddies nattering away, just being open and inviting might settle his hash. That isn't happening by the sounds of it so he is getting worse. Either change your dealings with him to ways that he can deal with, or move.

As I understand it Thai culture places a little less emphasis on myob, personal space, and privacy in general. I remember the first time the manager of the serviced apartment came walking in to check the water meter, I almost freaked out, but I'd been warned that this sort of thing was to be expected, and that they were likely embarrassed that they'd disturbed me at home.

P.S. Next time this happens, welcome him in, let him look around to his satisfaction and while he does make various requests: a new/better a/c unit/water heater; new paint job, appliance repair etc etc. This will generally trigger a flight response in landlords.

Perfect, everytime he shows up give him a list of "to do". He'll stop coming around right quick.

I have rented about 4times in Thailand and never had a problem with the land lords.

They never came in to my unit unless I asked them to.

Same as in he west they do nt have the right to enter with out your permission unless it is an emergencie like broken pipes , fire etc

Good luck

Yeah me too, when I was in CONDO world, where tenants are kings and landlord are super nice.

If you're not happy you walk down the corridor and change unit in 20 seconds. Landlords get that.

Or in Farang land like Nichada where houses start from 80.000 THB a month, they don't get hassled much.

As previously said with 3 dogs and limited budget I cannot do any of these

I knew it the termite thing was AGAIN an excuse to make an inspection

he absolutely wants to take me by surprise, he's not happy with coming with authorization to the house.

He thinks I am hiding things lol

Just got him on the phone :That's it he's pissed off

I told him to stop coming under false pretense he got angry and wanted to terminated the contract at the end of the month of Feb.

I told him I had nowhere else to go so he back down and said he wants a full inspection on the 22nd of Feb which I'm OK with, at last he's coming clean and honest about it, no more BS excuses.

He's really angry and scared that his house is in shamble, but that's his pathological angst.

It's going to be a nightmare: he will probably come with the all family, plus the decontamination anti-termite team which he will be "supervising" (his words), they will open every draw, look under beds, carpets, count cups, saucers and spoons and he possibly will piss around his own and so cherished territory.

As he said it is "only" going to be 2 HOURS of my time : TWO HOURS for a 2 bedrooms house !

Perfect, everytime he shows up give him a list of "to do". He'll stop coming around right quick.

I'm on thin ice already, he got me by the short and curly.

Plus seriously, you don't want him to come. EVER

I had a toilet leaking for a while but I preferred to fix it myself than having to call him to come.

You have to imagine the guy: you let him come to pick up his old blender and he is turning lights on, checking walls and surfaces, closing/ opening doors as if it was its home while talking to you as if it was normal thing to do.

I looked at my rental agreement and it states the landlord must give a 3 day notice prior to wishing to enter the premise and do an inspection. I don't think there would ever be a problem as the landlord lives 3 houses away and is very personable and pleasant but if there were a problem the contract stipulates how it would be handled. What does your rental contract say about inspections?

There is a simple way to handle the mail situation. Next time he comes for his mail tell him that you will deposit it outside the gate in a plastic sack each day it is delivered. If he wishes to come by and get it fine- if not, it may not be there when he decides to drop by.as you are not a postal storage facility and he needs to change his address with the post office. Then to drive the point home get some old mail, put it in a sack and add water. Let it sit for a day until it is mush then leave it outside the gate. When he gets the sack he won't know if it is his mail or not and he will certainly make the change of address.

Look, I am not an expert, but owned three homes (Hawaii, Lake Tahoe and California).

Laws are different here. What you need is a real lease with both you and the owner agreeing on what his and your issues are.

Get it translated into English and have a Thai Copy.

I do not know what your lease says...(do you?) But I would get the present one translated...and make ammendments on it that both the owner and you agree on.

Bottom line....It is his property....you are just given the right to stay there for a fraction of the lifetime he has to maintain it.

Once a month is reasonable (when he collects rent) to have him come in and drink coffee. Our Land Lord comes by without notice, but she is always welcome, and a good friend. We do what we like...install doors windows, landscape...anything...and she always smiles in approval.

I looked at my rental agreement and it states the landlord must give a 3 day notice prior to wishing to enter the premise and do an inspection. I don't think there would ever be a problem as the landlord lives 3 houses away and is very personable and pleasant but if there were a problem the contract stipulates how it would be handled. What does your rental contract say about inspections?

There is a simple way to handle the mail situation. Next time he comes for his mail tell him that you will deposit it outside the gate in a plastic sack each day it is delivered. If he wishes to come by and get it fine- if not, it may not be there when he decides to drop by.as you are not a postal storage facility and he needs to change his address with the post office. Then to drive the point home get some old mail, put it in a sack and add water. Let it sit for a day until it is mush then leave it outside the gate. When he gets the sack he won't know if it is his mail or not and he will certainly make the change of address.

What about the termite, electricity checking, the "i forgot something", the "I was in the area I just dropped in", the "i got to get some kitchen utensil", the " gardening maintenance", the "i need to take picture of the house to sell it" etc ?

All of which have absolutely no other purpose than coming to the house uninvited and check if it's still standing, this guy is a lunatic.

I presently have NO contract, he refuses to had it to me before full inspection of his house.

I bet if he ever gives me a contract he will stipulate that he can barge in any time to inspect my walls and ceilings

Edited by Kitsune

yes he can cut trees

they are his trees, and unless specifically mentioned in the rental contract, they are not a substantial part of the agreement.

then about the visits, I wonder why you insist on not letting the owner in?

if my landlord came to my rental, I would invite him in for a drink.

I think what you have been dong is quite impolite - no wonder he thinks you might be up for no good.

I rented out a house to a tenant before, and my contract clearly stated I can inspect the house anytime after agreeing on a time with the tenant, and if no reasonable time can be found, I could go in when the tenant is absent.

you might want to check that, if you go in while the tenant is absent and without their permission it is trespass, the tenant can have you charged especially if they say that there are objects that have been stolen. The landlord is not allowed to go into the house without the tenant(or his agent) being there and they are not supposed to have a set of keys to access it anyway, once a contract is signed the tenant is the rightful occupant and the landlord has no rights without the tenants agreement.

Sounds like you have no idea what so ever about the rights of a tenant or a landlord, a court would sort you out very quickly, owning the house does not mean you can do as you please, a contract negates all that and so does the law.

it's contract law - anything can be agreed upon.

yes it can but you still cannot go into a rented premise without the renters approval/knowledge and without them or their nominated agent there(unless they agree to it), it is still trespass as they are the legal occupants, this is the law. If they charge you with theft of anything you have no legs to stand on as you are the one that trespassed.

What about the termite, electricity checking, the "i forgot something", the "I was in the area I just dropped in", the "i got to get some kitchen utensil", the " gardening maintenance", the "i need to take picture of the house to sell it" etc ?

All of which have absolutely no other purpose than coming to the house uninvited and check if it's still standing, this guy is a lunatic.

I presently have NO contract, he refuses to had it to me before full inspection of his house.

I bet if he ever gives me a contract he will stipulate that he can barge in any time to inspect my walls and ceilings

If you sign a contract that lets him come and go as he wants then it is on you if it turns into a mess. As for living there for a year with no rental contract I would only ask if you would do that in your home country? A contract saves both you and the landlord a considerable headache as it spells out each parties responsibilities and defines acceptable and expected behavior. What would you do if the guy came to your door and said that the agreed upon rent was double what you thought it was? With no contract it is your word against his and you would have no basis to support your position.

If he doesn't want to give you a contract then it is time to look for another place to live. You are in a tenuous position as the landlord may decide to be a pain in the ass and go after you in court for some trumped up charge and with no contract you have no basis to defend yourself. You already have a history of disagreement with this guy- time to get a contract or move on.

There was a report on TV of a farang who got into a piss and moan with a landlord about some damage or missing furniture from an apartment. The landlord went to court and the guy was stuck in Thailand for some time trying to get it straightened out as he had some kind of restriction on his passport and could not leave- at least that is how I remember this matter. Don't let it happen to you. Get a contract or get out.

If you sign a contract that lets him come and go as he wants then it is on you if it turns into a mess. As for living there for a year with no rental contract I would only ask if you would do that in your home country? A contract saves both you and the landlord a considerable headache as it spells out each parties responsibilities and defines acceptable and expected behavior. What would you do if the guy came to your door and said that the agreed upon rent was double what you thought it was? With no contract it is your word against his and you would have no basis to support your position.

If he doesn't want to give you a contract then it is time to look for another place to live. You are in a tenuous position as the landlord may decide to be a pain in the ass and go after you in court for some trumped up charge and with no contract you have no basis to defend yourself. You already have a history of disagreement with this guy- time to get a contract or move on.

There was a report on TV of a farang who got into a piss and moan with a landlord about some damage or missing furniture from an apartment. The landlord went to court and the guy was stuck in Thailand for some time trying to get it straightened out as he had some kind of restriction on his passport and could not leave- at least that is how I remember this matter. Don't let it happen to you. Get a contract or get out.

I had a contract for one year

It is to be renewed

He's blackmailing me not to renew if I don't let him into the house under false excuses.

I have now negotiated that he does not turn up uninvited, got a fixed date and also told him it's illegal to come to my house uninvited. he got really angry

So now he's pissed off and threatens to end my stay

It really does not sound like harassment to me, just an anxious landlord wanting to ascertain that his property is not being damaged.

Your unwillingness to let him in has probably fueled his fears. He may be convinced you are concealing something.

If it were me, I'd let him in (at a time convenient to me, of course) , let him look around to his heart's content, after a few times of that he'd likely calm down.

Sounds like you have read the post

he came to the house FOUR TIMES in 5 months already.

... and the need to maintain his current stressful living arrangements where many of the landlord's family hate him and not tell the landlord "Drop dead -- I'm moving!" is driven by the need to provide suitable accommodation for his three dogs. Dogs?

• Like 1

Hard to tell exactly how pushy this guy is as there are always two sides to the story. Have you tried actually telling him that privacy is important to you and that you feel you don't get that with all the frequent visits?

I don't know about the law in this regard though. In many countries, the landlord needs to formally tell you to expect a visit days in advance.

I've had some experience of Thai landlords. Out in the country they seem to be OK but in a city area they push for every penny.

I think they only way to deal with them is to use a Thai agent. When you come to move out they will find all sorts of reasons for not

giving the deposit back.

yes he can cut trees

they are his trees, and unless specifically mentioned in the rental contract, they are not a substantial part of the agreement.

I think what you have been dong is quite impolite - no wonder he thinks you might be up for no good.

I rented out a house to a tenant before, and my contract clearly stated I can inspect the house anytime after agreeing on a time with the tenant, and if no reasonable time can be found, I could go in when the tenant is absent.

you might want to check that, if you go in while the tenant is absent and without their permission it is trespass, the tenant can have you charged especially if they say that there are objects that have been stolen. The landlord is not allowed to go into the house without the tenant(or his agent) being there and they are not supposed to have a set of keys to access it anyway, once a contract is signed the tenant is the rightful occupant and the landlord has no rights without the tenants agreement.

Sounds like you have no idea what so ever about the rights of a tenant or a landlord, a court would sort you out very quickly, owning the house does not mean you can do as you please, a contract negates all that and so does the law.

it's contract law - anything can be agreed upon.

yes it can but you still cannot go into a rented premise without the renters approval/knowledge and without them or their nominated agent there(unless they agree to it), it is still trespass as they are the legal occupants, this is the law. If they charge you with theft of anything you have no legs to stand on as you are the one that trespassed.

the pivotal sentence here is "unless he agrees to it" - the exact conditions can be stipulated in the contract.

Hard to tell exactly how pushy this guy is as there are always two sides to the story. Have you tried actually telling him that privacy is important to you and that you feel you don't get that with all the frequent visits?

I don't know about the law in this regard though. In many countries, the landlord needs to formally tell you to expect a visit days in advance.

forget law here you wont get anywhere and yes he can insist on anything in a new contract

op houd leave if he does not like it this is not west

stupid forang thinking it works here at all like west it don't ok

landlords are within their rights to inspect the house evry 12 months and the garden as well. If they are not living there they should change their address as it is no longer where they live(it is law in some countries as it is a way to get around corruption etc) or you could just go to the post office and tell them that tis person no longer lives there so you want his mail stopped, I would be disposing of his mail rather than collecting it and telling him nothing is arriving and to change it to his address so that you are not responsible for it. You are within your rights to have privacy and hang pictures etc on the walls as long as you do not change or make modifications with written approval.

If they want to rent then they have rules to obey as well and cant just walk over you, I would move out after telling him where to stick his house.

your a forang and even if a thai forget how it works in west i get sick of fearing thinking they know it all and in 30+ yard they always and i mean always learn hard way

Just a quick thought.

Do you think the landlord has the right to inspect his property once in a while?

If yes, how often do you think?

If no, why would you think so?

Do you think in a normally landlords would need to have tricks to make an inspection time to time, or are entitled/obliged to do so, as you would expect them for some maintenance too.

Do you think renting a property would automatically justify the landlord to change his/her address?

Do you think landlords has to automatically go along with permanent modifications to the property, inside, or in the garden?

As some said, coins has 2 sides.

Of course if unhappy, or feel harassed, there is many property to rent, as well always the option to buy your own place, thus no one would be there to say what to do or dont do.

Privacy
As a tenant, you are entitled to live in privacy. This means that during your stay at the rental premises you should not experience interruption or interference by the landlord/agent or anyone acting on the landlord's behalf.
To ensure this occurs, the landlord/agent is required to obtain agreement from the tenants prior to visiting the property.
Legitimate reasons for the landlord/agent to enter the premises include:
  • General inspections. There is a limit to how frequently property inspections can be performed.
  • Performance of duties defined in the lease, e.g. maintenance.
  • Valuation of the property.
  • To show prospective buyers through the property.
  • To show prospective tenants through the property if the current tenant has been given written notice to move out.

omg another stupid forang thinking he has rights here cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif and I've been here 30+ years

yes he can cut trees

He is the one lying and making excuses to inspect the house, and he came uncalled which is illegal here

bs you think law applies anyway if your a forang

Let him inspect the house so he can have peace of mind. I always thought the 24 hour notice was good. If he wanted to inspect every week or month I would move. Twice a year is reasonable to me so he can make any repairs needed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I had a contract for one year

It is to be renewed

He's blackmailing me not to renew if I don't let him into the house under false excuses.

I have now negotiated that he does not turn up uninvited, got a fixed date and also told him it's illegal to come to my house uninvited. he got really angry

So now he's pissed off and threatens to end my stay

You are a scary tenant. A foreigner with three big dogs. Noone else wants to rent to you for fear that you or your dogs will trash their house. So, bite the bullet and let the guy in. If you are treating his house well and there is no damage, he is going to let you stay. Otherwise, you and the dogs are going to be homeless.

Edited by Pacificperson
  • Like 1

It is completely normal for a landlord to inspect the property before renewing a lease....anywhere in the world. In fact, a landlord would be extremely foolish not to do so, IMO.

As far as the giving of excuses rather than directly stating his reasons...this is Thailand and that's Thai culture. In the West it would be an upfront inspection but to Thais that sounds "not nice" so they will wrap it up as something else.

You are expected to read between the lines and understand what his concerns are, the "excuses" are meant to save face for both of you.