Thai opposition under fire for election boycott

webfact

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tywais, on 01 Feb 2014 - 10:57, said:

That confuses me as that means he can not run for political office again for 5 years. Also applies to the other democrats which makes this virtually a one party system.

Rules can be changed.

Don't forget.......this is Thailand.

• Like 2

3 possibilities:

a ) Either Abhisit caved in to the pressure from the Leader,

b ) or it's a diversion and he's going to go in disguise ...

c ) or, he's been tipped off that the somebody will take care of "things" afterwards, such that he will not lose his MP eligibility

or...which is the most likely...

d) that this election is already illegal, because there will not be enough MP's to make a quorum and spreading the vote over 20 more bi-elections will be deemed unconstitutional

e) or he is tired of the bullsh*t and just wants to have a nice life, somewhere away from all this insanity

I think it is "d" wai2.gif

If I were in Abhisit's shoes, I'd choose ( e ) .... retire from crazy politics, less stress on the family (poor wife & kids), and take cushy jobs on a few Boards of friendly corporations.

He's probably thinking "I'm a Celebrity, GMooH ......"

AFP again!

We all know the "AFP" is financially supported by Thaksin!

That's funny!

I haye to break it to you, but he's not Kaiser soyze... (is that how they spelt it in that movie?)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

3 possibilities:

a ) Either Abhisit caved in to the pressure from the Leader,

b ) or it's a diversion and he's going to go in disguise ...

c ) or, he's been tipped off that the somebody will take care of "things" afterwards, such that he will not lose his MP eligibility

or...which is the most likely...

d) that this election is already illegal, because there will not be enough MP's to make a quorum and spreading the vote over 20 more bi-elections will be deemed unconstitutional

e) or he is tired of the bullsh*t and just wants to have a nice life, somewhere away from all this insanity

I think it is "d" wai2.gif

Capital E for me personally.

• Like 2

ozzy.. are you sure about this statement? Which parties are you talking about?

"which is that Thaksin-affiliated parties have rendered coalitions largely unnecessary."

In the 2011 election, the PTP DID get an absolute majority - 265 of 500 seats. This meant that the PTP did not need to form a coalition, of course.

Obviously, the popular vote (based on 75% turnout) did not return an absolute majority (48% of the vote - so almost) but it is SEATS that decide whether or not the majority is absolute, just as in the UK system.

There is no sign (as of yet) that the trend will be for PTP or whatever replaces it to gain a majority of seats - although for the sake of democracy, I hope that the trend does not continue personally.

The premise of this article is based on much that is haphazard and inconsistent. The Democratic party is not a monolithic organization, nor do all think alike. The decision to boycott was indeed a unilateral decision, but the decision to vote or not vote is an individual choice. It was not a mistake for the Democrats to boycott this election. In fact it could be argued it was the boycott which set in motion the dilemma the Yingluck administration now finds itself in. There are many that believe - as clearly the writer of this article does - that the Democratic party resists the election because it knows it will lose. Doubtless, many in the party feel that way. But many - including Abhisit, and his statements have been quite consistent with this - does not. He has never advocated for a reform that puts his party - or himself, for that matter - in the driver's seat. He's enough of a pragmatist to realize that will not happen - now or in the foreseeable future. The realities of the electoral map are clear, and no amount of redistribution will change that. The focus has always been on Thaksin. Indeed, many Democrats would likely be far more at peace with a Pheu Thai administration that was absent of Thaksin's influence. Thaksin's influence is what is killing reform, as he has a path which is clearly intended towards the consolidation of his power. So that's the argument that's been lost in the mix. But it hasn't on the men and women on the streets. They are not talking about Abhisit - or Suthep, for that matter. They are talking about Thaksin, and their belief that the system should be free of him. Peace will be achieved in this country by two key sacrifices coming from both parties. If Pheu Thai can truly let go of Thaksin, and the Democratic party can accept the realities of the electoral map, we will have a road map for peace. But to get there is through reform. A reform that does does include amnesties for Thaksin, or consolidates his grip on power.

Edited by Scamper
  • Like 1

The premise of this article is based on much that is haphazard and inconsistent. The Democratic party is not a monolithic organization, nor do all think alike. The decision to boycott was indeed a unilateral decision, but the decision to vote or not vote is an individual choice. It was not a mistake for the Democrats to boycott this election. In fact it could be argued it was the boycott which set in motion the dilemma the Yingluck administration now finds itself in. There are many that believe - as clearly the writer of this article does - that the Democratic party resists the election because it knows it will lose. Doubtless, many in the party feel that way. But many - including Abhisit, and his statements have been quite consistent with this - does not. He has never advocated for a reform that puts his party - or himself, for that matter - in the driver's seat. He's enough of a pragmatist to realize that will not happen - now or in the foreseeable future. The realities of the electoral map are clear, and no amount of redistribution will change that. The focus has always been on Thaksin. Indeed, many Democrats would likely be far more at peace with a Pheu Thai administration that was absent of Thaksin's influence. Thaksin's influence is what is killing reform, as he has a path which is clearly intended towards the consolidation of his power. So that's the argument that's been lost in the mix. But it hasn't on the men and women on the streets. They are not talking about Abhisit - or Suthep, for that matter. They are talking about Thaksin, and their belief that the system should be free of him. Peace will be achieved in this country by two key sacrifices coming from both parties. If Pheu Thai can truly let go of Thaksin, and the Democratic party can accept the realities of the electoral map, we will have a road map for peace. But to get there is through reform. A reform that does does include amnesties for Thaksin, or consolidates his grip on power.

I like paragraphs....

• Like 2

That confuses me as that means he can not run for political office again for 5 years. Also applies to the other democrats which makes this virtually a one party system.

I don't understand why the Dems don't use the election to show the level of support for political reform and put an end to this once and for all. At the last election they were only outvoted by a ratio of 4:3 and since then their stock has risen whilst PTs has fallen.

Unless Sooty knows something we don't.

He knows that the judges of the constitutional court were appointed by an only 50% elected senate.

When you already have 50% it's not hard to find one or two more to do your bidding.

I fully expect even though voting proceeds normally in 66 out of 78 provinces - the court will deny the will of the majority in favour of their masters.

• Like 2

Its pretty obvious whatever happens with this election, its going to be nullified in due course, abhist knows that so has no concern re his own future.

What the reds supporters have not grasped is the scale of the attack on Taksin, his control over thai politics. If they want to be seen as a credible political force get a credible leader, not a fugitive on the run with a family of unusual wealth.

Thai democracy is a sham and no matter how many international PR firms Taksin brings into play it does not change the facts. He has corrupted and abused the country and the people he claims to represent.

You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!

• Like 1