• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some examples of some of the pics taken with a drone

Source: Richard Barrow

DJI00799.jpg

DJI00661.jpg

DJI000381.jpg

Depends how you feel about all this rule stuff, frankly I don't give toss.

I have several UAV's , Eagle Tree Telemetry the whole range, can fly as far as 50 km if I want to (never did that wink.png yet w00t.gif) Great hobby, also some Thai are getting into doing this. Plenty of online shops and info on the web. I have plane's, heli's and hexa's.

Depends how you feel about all this rule stuff, frankly I don't give toss.

I really hope this is just a windup post as people like you will get this hobby banned or highly regulated (look at the mess the hobby is in in the US). One flight over a restricted area or a crash in a crowded place will quickly bring an end to the freedom we are enjoying. Also being able to fly over 50km and maintain a telemetry link requires that you are using UHF equipment on a 400 or 900mhz band, both of which are regulated here in Thailand and means you should apply for a HAMs license.

Even though there are no regulations here, regarding UAV usage yet, most people self regulate and obey certain rules. I honestly believe that if you intend to fly out of sight then you should have a full size pilot's license so that you are aware of aviation law CATS and CARS.

I maintain 2 logbooks for all my flights. One to log flight details and the other to log maintenance details on all my UAVs.

Sent from my GT-S5300 using Tapatalk 2

I always thought a "drone" was a military item, whereas a remote controlled helicopter or airplane with a camera attached to it was an entirely different thing, mainly due to operating range, size and weight, therefore fuel to be used.

One being operated remotely within say 500 metres, the other capable of being controlled from another country !

HMMM - to base one's belief on something so thin.

Any of the RPVs sold at a hobby store can be easily modified to carry explosives and be flown from another country, so where its the distincttion..??

Battery life seems to be the biggest problem....but with a recent news about a new battery technology devised by a woman which will enable a phone to run all day on a 20 second charge...combined with solar charging...I think it will soon be OK.

Can you link to this please ?

Battery life seems to be the biggest problem....but with a recent news about a new battery technology devised by a woman which will enable a phone to run all day on a 20 second charge...combined with solar charging...I think it will soon be OK.

Can you link to this please ?

This is one of the many articles on it - Time

But need to read this one to see the possible flaws in the concept - skeptoid.com

And lots of comments in this article - DailyTech

Sooner or later, just about the time they become capable of carrying explosives (or there are govt surveillance vehicles to ram...), I would think RC flying would make the law enforcement boys very nervous. But as vendors in Thailand seem to be hawking (i.e., flying) their battery-powered RC helicopters in just about every shopping mall nowadays, within a few feet of gawkers & shoppers, other vendor stalls, glass storefronts, displays, etc., it's difficult to imagine the cops getting truly excited about it out in the 'burbs or the country, or all but some of the more sensitive areas of the city, in Thailand. However, "neighbor relations" can turn just about any innocent activity sour, esp. where foreigners are concerned, so...

'Course, in the US, ANYthing that captures some bureaucrat's attention is cannon fodder. It's part of how they justify their existence. The FAA is certainly no exception. 'Registration right around the corner I'm sure.

Sooner or later, just about the time they become capable of carrying explosives (or there are govt surveillance vehicles to ram...), I would think RC flying would make the law enforcement boys very nervous. But as vendors in Thailand seem to be hawking (i.e., flying) their battery-powered RC helicopters in just about every shopping mall nowadays, within a few feet of gawkers & shoppers, other vendor stalls, glass storefronts, displays, etc., it's difficult to imagine the cops getting truly excited about it out in the 'burbs or the country, or all but some of the more sensitive areas of the city, in Thailand. However, "neighbor relations" can turn just about any innocent activity sour, esp. where foreigners are concerned, so...

'Course, in the US, ANYthing that captures some bureaucrat's attention is cannon fodder. It's part of how they justify their existence. The FAA is certainly no exception. 'Registration right around the corner I'm sure.

Given you can buy off the shelf units with a payload of 2Kg or better you already have the potential out there to carry substantial life taking capability.

• 10 months later...

I think quadcopters are the rage at the moment as they have an undercarriage that fits a gopro camera.

I just ordered this upgraded unit with built-in camera (Phantom 2 Vision) and will pick it up in USA next month and bring it back to Thailand. Personal drones are getting cheaper and cheaper and you'll be seeing more and more of them in the air in the next few years ... probably to the point that they will eventually be government regulated.

The unit I'm buying can be flown via an iPhone that attaches to a long-range RC unit and you can see on the iPhone's screen what the drone's camera is capturing. You can also pre-map out a course or grid via GPS and the drone will fly it exactly without your control. And if the drone gets out of RC range or the battery is running low it will automatically fly itself back and land within a foot or two of the spot from where it took off. This is a very high-tech toy/tool for only $1,200.

BTW, these days the word "drone" is being used to describe any and all unmanned quadracopters ... including the cheaper hobby models.

Are you, by chance, in the vicinity of Phuket? Would you consider renting your services for any period of time for a good cause (i.e. we are non-profit and don't have a lot of money, but the cause is good)? If you are interrested, or know of anyone in this area who might be interested, please contact me at tau152@xxxx. Thanks

Please us the PM function.

Edited by Rooo
Email removed as per forum rules.

There is a guy on Koh Samui, using very sophisticated equipment. He has a couple of videos on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCSTVpOFC-s

Really impressing!

I doubt if that was Samui.

It most certainly is Samui.

If one was so inclined, one could even follow the flight path starting from the guy's house here: http://goo.gl/maps/WnSxI

Rsquared, on 01 Feb 2014 - 14:33, said: I just ordered this upgraded unit with built-in camera (Phantom 2 Vision) and will pick it up in USA next month and bring it back to Thailand.

I am confused about which frequency these have to use when in Thailand

Another manufacturer 3D Robotics Inc. ( http://store.3drobotics.com/products/iris) sells a model named IRIS+ and their web site shows two frequencies 915MHz (US and Canada) and 433 MHz (all other countries) so if someone was thinking of buying one in the US, I would suggest finding out which is the legal frequency to use here in Thailand before buying one in the US only to find that it would be illegal to use in Thailand

Flying a drone in Thailand: Could you be breaking the law?

DJI-Phantom-2-Vision-006-702x336.jpg

With the increase in popularity of the use of drones for both commercial and private use around the world, ThaiTech looks at the laws with regards to flying a drone in Thailand.

Read more: http://tech.thaivisa.com/flying-drone-thailand-breaking-law/

thaitech_logo.jpg
-- Tech News by Thaivisa 2014-12-08

There is a guy on Koh Samui, using very sophisticated equipment. He has a couple of videos on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCSTVpOFC-s

Really impressing!

I doubt if that was Samui.

It most certainly is Samui.

If one was so inclined, one could even follow the flight path starting from the guy's house here: http://goo.gl/maps/WnSxI

I stand corrected, but i'm not sure posting the GPS coordinates showing which house to burgle or target for work permit shakedown is such a good idea.

There is also a drone that can fly by itself, using GPS. All you have to do is to program the flight path on your laptop , upload the program to the drone and make sure there are no obstacles in the air.

Edited by balo

Had one of those camera quads hovering just outside my condo window yesterday, then it flew to my balcony, sounded like a swarm of bees, if I had a long stick may have been tempemted to knock it down, ...saw the operator on a nearby roof top and yelled at him ... mai deee ..Lam khan !!! (I was angry) He quickly left, I think I scared him.

There is also a drone that can fly by itself, using GPS. All you have to do is to program the flight path on your laptop , upload the program to the drone and make sure there are no obstacles in the air.

dji phantom 2 will do that