Application for British citizenship

Hi all,

I am currently going though the process of applying for British citizenship for my wife. I am looking to make sure I have a good understanding of the process before we submit.

My wife and I where married in April 2010 and she has been in the UK since 30/08/2010. Firstly on a settlement visa, and then with IDLR since last February. So to apply for citizenship I believe that she has to have spent 3 years in the UK, with 1 full year with IDLR before she can apply. Since she got her IDLR and bio ID card last year (19/02/2013) should we be OK to apply later this month? Given that in the last 3 years we have only spent 9 weeks outside the UK. Which were holidays back in Thailand.

To apply for Citizenship we are looking to complete form (AN) and pay a fee of £874. My wife has passed the life in UK test back in 2012 before we applied for the IDLR, so is this sufficient to prove her English skills? As question 1.22 on the application form asks for the certificate number. But then also asks for further information i.e B1 CEFR course etc?

When we married in Bangkok we submitted a translated copy of or wedding certificate to the UK embassy. Will this be sufficient for our application, as this should be held on the system for the UKBA to access. Or will we need to send a hard copy also?

Aside from the above we also intend to include the following supporting documents:

Completed AM Form

Passport (Wifes Thai)

Thai ID

UK Bio ID card

Letter from UKBA confirming indefinite leave to remain

Wife's UK Driving Licence (Both parts)

Life in UK Pass certificate

My UK passport

Other than the above, do we have to provide any other evidence, employment, Bankstatments, Pay slips etc, as we did for the IDLR?

Thank you for taking the time to read though this, and any information or experience you have with the process would be a great help.

Thanks again

The spouse or civil partner does need to have ILR (or the equivalent) to qualify for naturalisation; but there is no minimum time they must have held it.

So, assuming she met the other requirements, she could have applied any time after she had ILR and had been in the UK for 3 years; i.e.30/8/13.

Since 28/10/13, the language requirement for both ILR and naturalisation has been a LitUK test pass and a pass at B1 of the CEFR, or equivalent, in English speaking and listening.

So, whilst her LitUK test pass is still valid for her naturalisation application, she will need to take an English speaking and listening test from an approved provider and achieve at least B1 or the equivalent.

She should supply all specified documents, even if she has previously supplied them in visa or leave to remain applications.

Whilst it is more expensive, I strongly suggest that she applies via the Nationality Checking Service. They will check her application is complete and take copies of her supporting documents and return the originals.

You may find British Citizenship Basics useful.

Hi 7by7

Thanks for the update, I was aware that the rule had changed regarding the B1 test. Although was not sure if it would apply to my wife, given that she passed her LifeInUK test in 2012. I most have got this mixed up with the new LifeInUK test. My wife is enrolled to study a master degree started later in the year. But am I correct in thinking that this requirement is only over looked, on completion of a degree in the UK?

We are now looking into the local test centres for her to do this test, via you links. It appears that the nearest test centre to us (based in Yarm Nyorks) would be Newcastle. For the B1 CEFR / ESOL Entry Level 3 (£125 cost) I believe is the correct course. If possible does anyone have any good links for websites with test questions etc. My wife has a good level of English speaking and listening, but practice questions would be a great help for her.

Thanks for the heads up on the national checking centre, I will be worth using this service to check though the app.

Regards

My wife is enrolled to study a master degree started later in the year. But am I correct in thinking that this requirement is only over looked, on completion of a degree in the UK?

A degree taught in English is an alternative to passing a B1 test; it doesn't need to have been taught in the UK, but the qualification must have been obtained, not still being studied for.

From Changes to the Knowledge of language and life in the UK requirement for settlement and naturalisation

Degrees taught in English

Those who have obtained a degree taught in English will not be required to show a formal speaking and listening qualification.

Those with an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) who provide appropriate evidence that the qualification was taught or researched in English are considered automatically to meet the English language component of the KoLL requirement and will not be required to show a formal speaking and listening qualification. The qualification must be deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK. However, they will still be required to pass the Life in the UK test to demonstrate their knowledge of life in the UK.

Edited by 7by7

Thanks again 7by7

As she is still studying for the degree i think she will have to take the B1 test. The best i can find so far is offered via PTE Academic and have a location in Newcastle. But could i just confrim that course offered (b1 cefr/esol entry test level 3 English) is the correct course. They do say it is suitable for settlement and irl. But if anyone as any experince with them or the course it would be great to hear.

Thanks again for your advise.

Where someone takes their course and/or exam doesn't matter; as long as the awarding body and the qualification gained is on the Home Office's approved list.

PTE Academic is; see pages 29 and 30.

As she is studying for a degree, her English may already be good enough to pass the test at the required standard without taking a course beforehand; worth asking them about this.

Edited by 7by7