could this turn into yet another thai hard luck story......

i'm thinking of buying a house and putting it in my daughters name,she's half thai.

obviously i want to live in it and when i eventually die she'd be left to do whatever she wants with it.

this is where it gets awkward though...her mother and i split up a long time ago and it's still a case of 'hell hath no fury like a woman scorned'.

the mother scare's the living daylights out of our daughter(age 14) and i know would try to get her hands on the house.

is their any legal way i could make sure my daughter can only sell the house when i die?.

Edited by zabaleta

Problem may be she will or could give into mom at any age - kids can be like that - Open a bank account in her name US or where ever and make sure the money came from her account to buy and not yours to prevent issues and abuse or harassment of your status. Then lease it back to you long term ending any way for some time that anyone but you controls the fate of the property - you have a contract. If you pass she will have to stand on her own feet and keep it - not much you can do about family once your gone.

• Like 1

You definitely want to have a 30 year lease as well, just as a backup protection. As the above poster said, your daughter would be free to give it to her mother at any time. And if you ever get divorced, these things can happen...

The only problem is that she could not countersign the lease -- which presents a bit of a legal problem. You'll need a lawyer to crack that nut. I believe you'll have to get a lease from your wife, and then gift the entire house to your daughter without overriding the lease.

• Like 1

Problem may be she will or could give into mom at any age - kids can be like that - Open a bank account in her name US or where ever and make sure the money came from her account to buy and not yours to prevent issues and abuse or harassment of your status. Then lease it back to you long term ending any way for some time that anyone but you controls the fate of the property - you have a contract. If you pass she will have to stand on her own feet and keep it - not much you can do about family once your gone.

Do they have "Child Trust Funds" in Thailand,if so then perhaps you could discuss your wishes for your Daughter,with a competent Thai Lawyer!

• Like 1

You definitely want to have a 30 year lease as well, just as a backup protection. As the above poster said, your daughter would be free to give it to her mother at any time. And if you ever get divorced, these things can happen...

The only problem is that she could not countersign the lease -- which presents a bit of a legal problem. You'll need a lawyer to crack that nut. I believe you'll have to get a lease from your wife, and then gift the entire house to your daughter without overriding the lease

the mother and i went through a bitter divorce approx ten years ago,the usual happened...daughter banished to the village for a couple of years,not allowed any contact with her etc,etc so she's got to be kept well out of the equation.

in an ideal world my daughter,in the presence of a lawyer,would lease the house to me,but being as she's only 14 i don't know whether this is possible.

thanks to all the replies on here,you've all given me some idea's...i'm off to find a good lawyer.

Do they have "Child Trust Funds" in Thailand,if so then perhaps you could discuss your wishes for your Daughter,with a competent Thai Lawyer!

Thai law doesn't have a concept of trusts set up by individuals. (The only kind of trust that is recognised is trusts for transactions in capital markets.)