EC told to hold fresh elections within 30 days

webfact

What will be the eventual outcome of all this? I just can't see it ending without a massive street fight!

PTP will be disbanded, YL perhaps in prison for negligence on the rice scam, and the Shins sent packing. It is all over, but Shin defenders just refuse to see it. When they finally come to understand things, you'll realize it, here, on TV, when the usual suspects start raving, ranting, and threatening to divide the country, invade Bangkok, and create Pol Pot II.

What will be the eventual outcome of all this? I just can't see it ending without a massive street fight!

PTP will be disbanded, YL perhaps in prison for negligence on the rice scam, and the Shins sent packing. It is all over, but Shin defenders just refuse to see it. When they finally come to understand things, you'll realize it, here, on TV, when the usual suspects start raving, ranting, and threatening to divide the country, invade Bangkok, and create Pol Pot II.

Seems to me that all the raving, ranting and threatening is coming from Suthep's supporters.

• Like 1

Well the only thing I can say right now is let's wait and see what stupid suthep does next. I know he cant wait to get more blood spilled in the streets.

He has closed down two protest stages because he is sick of his supporters getting their blood spilled on the streets by pro-government people.

He is sick. I agree on that. But not that he is sick of violence erupting. His boomerang effect of pissing on democracy, disrupt the nomal life in a metropole and shout rhetorics which to the point have agression/call for violence in it. Watch the BBC series about the uprising of the Nazi's. Our Mr. Suthep has similar speeching habits as A.H. during the end of -30's.

I am sure I could find a hundred videos of Thai protest leaders from the last 10 years from both sides and show comparisons to Hitler's speeches.

These comparisons to 1930's & 40's leaders is getting a bit boring.

Listening to history is for many people boring, meanly because most dont want to be remembered that the one they loved lost the war.

Well the only thing I can say right now is let's wait and see what stupid suthep does next. I know he cant wait to get more blood spilled in the streets.

He has closed down two protest stages because he is sick of his supporters getting their blood spilled on the streets by pro-government people.

He is sick. I agree on that. But not that he is sick of violence erupting. His boomerang effect of pissing on democracy, disrupt the nomal life in a metropole and shout rhetorics which to the point have agression/call for violence in it. Watch the BBC series about the uprising of the Nazi's. Our Mr. Suthep has similar speeching habits as A.H. during the end of -30's.

..............................Better than listening to your square head god!!

Godwin's law seems to have a built-in acceleration function where TV is involved.

As usual the super lame 'Compare Suteb to one or another hated figure from history in the hopes that it will make people not like him' scheme rears its ugly head. And Taksin is just like Polpot, now go and troll somewhere else please...

"One or another hated figure from history"

Is that the way you would describe AH, you must be drinking or smoking something very strong.

You also might not have any clue about history, because if you would have seen any speech of AH in the late 30's , you would exactly know why there is comparison.

At which point the disenfranchised majority will probably come to town.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by JAG

Yes, it is only a battle, but it strikes me as more akin to "checkmate in 5 moves" - yes, one could carry on till the bitter end, but...

The Suthepistas have shown that they can stop the House from achieving 95% of bums on seats, and I don't see why they can't just repeat this for every future by-election, especially since the EC has refused to count the proportional votes until all of them are in.

There might be a stalemate in there, somewhere, if the PTP can argue that as only a 50% quorum is needed for the House to vote and if, with the other parties, they can actually fill over 50% of seats, that the 95% condition be temporarily suspended with an Emergency Decree as it would make no difference to the function of the House. We know what the CC will think of that, but at least the argument should be made public.

Otherwise the future looks grim for a lame duck government for whom it may even be a relief to be eventually ousted by an appointed new interim government.

The difference is that the 50% quorum for a vote is a minimum number of representatives who bother to show up. The 95% quorum to form parliament is the percentage of people who have representation. All our so-called "democracy lovers" would be have to be appalled if this was altered even temporarily for surely they remember the basis of the formation of the US was "No taxation without representation!"

As PTP is estimating it received less than 10 million votes, it can hardly claim an overwhelming mandate.

Edited by JRSoul

3rd March is 30 days after the general election, during which time the House of Reps should have selected a new PM and the National Assembly should have sat for their first session. Hence the panic by the PTP to get the 95% of members needed for the House to even open.

It isn't gonna happen, is it?

1. When at least 95% of the total of 480 members of the House of Representatives are elected, "it shall be deemed that members in such number duly form the House of Representatives"

(Source: Section 93 of the Constitution)

2. "The National Assembly shall, within thirty days as from the date of the election of members of the House of Representatives, be summoned for the first sitting."

(Source:Section 127 of the Constitution)

The National Assembly is the House of Representatives and the Senate in a joint sitting.

3. "The House of Representatives shall complete its consideration and approval of the person suitable to be appointed as Prime Minister within thirty days as from the day the National Assembly is convoked for the first sitting under section 127."

(Source:Section 172 of the Constitution)

Edited by Puccini

3rd March is 30 days after the general election, during which time the House of Reps should have selected a new PM and the National Assembly should have sat for their first session. Hence the panic by the PTP to get the 95% of members needed for the House to even open.

It isn't gonna happen, is it?

1. When at least 95% of the total of 480 members of the House of Representatives are elected, "it shall be deemed that members in such number duly form the House of Representatives"

(Source: Section 93 of the Constitution)

2. "The National Assembly shall, within thirty days as from the date of the election of members of the House of Representatives, be summoned for the first sitting."

(Source:Section 127 of the Constitution)

The National Assembly is the House of Representatives an the Senate in a joint sitting.

3. "The House of Representatives shall complete its consideration and approval of the person suitable to be appointed as Prime Minister within thirty days as from the day the National Assembly is convoked for the first sitting under section 127."

(Source:Section 172 of the Constitution)

Without 1/ which has a WHEN, then 2/ and 3/ do not occur. In a logic diagram "When" equates to "If and only if".

Without 1/ which has a WHEN, then 2/ and 3/ do not occur. In a logic diagram "When" equates to "If and only if".

"When" was my abbreviation. In the English translation of the Constitution, it reads like this:

In the case where, in any general election, there occurs

any event resulting in members of the House of Representatives

being less than four hundred and eighty in number but being not

less than ninety five percent of the total number of members of the

House of Representatives, it shall be deemed that members in

such number duly form the House of Representatives

"When" was my abbreviation. In the English translation of the Constitution, it reads like this:

In the case where, in any general election, there occurs

any event resulting in members of the House of Representatives

being less than four hundred and eighty in number but being not

less than ninety five percent of the total number of members of the

House of Representatives, it shall be deemed that members in

such number duly form the House of Representatives

And it is quite clear. <95% house is NOT formed. Without a house, 2/ and 3/ do not happen.

As 125 or 25% of seats are party list, and the proportion allocated can't be determined until all electorates votes are tallied, there is no way a house can be formed until ALL electorates results are in.