A slap in the face: Thai politics

webfact

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to see somebody exercising their right to vote but unfortunately, if a government is formed from this mess, it will most likely pay absolutely no notice to what created the mess and continue to implement policy to line their own pockets while giving the Thai people a sugar coated, gold plated, bird.

The principal opposition party gave two fingers to the Thai people, like the writer of this piece, and showed utter contempt for the democratic process. As a result, the people were left with only one realistic choice for a government. What the Democrat party need to do now is to rejoin democracy and start campaigning to win seats in the next election, whenever it's held. That's not going to be easy for a party that shows it prefers coup to vote, but they have to start.

The first thing they could do is to expel Abhisit and Suthep, both wanted for murder and inextricably linked to the attempted coup.

As far as I know neither Abhisit nor Suthep is wanted for murder? They have both been charged with murder, and have shown up in court to aknowledge those charges.

Perhaps you confuse them with Thaksin, who is in fact wanted?

I do not know what "inextricably" means, but I would appreciate if you could elaborate on the coup link part? Or is it just your personal opinion?

Edited by monkeycountry

This is a very critical...precarious...time in Thai politics...and young democracy...

There appears to be no real governing body...no definitive leadership...a ship without a rudder...

If there is no one with the power to make the tough decisions to break the political stalemate...conditions are ripe for anarchy, civil war, total disruption of commerce...and the prospect of border countries taking the opportunity to test a weakened Thai resolve...

Has anyone ever seen the results of cutting a chickens head off...it flounders around...going in first one direction then the other...blood letting...until it dies...

I am afraid that if a responsible government is not formed soon...Thailand will become a headless chicken...

Your comments are correct, but can I ask you do you believe that it witll be the great protest leer who will take over if Yingluck falls

the real leader of the Democrats are waiting in the curtains, not wanting the spot light to shine on them

this campaign has been well thought out believe me

what we are seeing here is a game of chess

Democrates are forcing the PTP to make mistakes

the Checkmate will come in the Thai Courts

post-13618-0-60305600-1391399759_thumb.p

• Like 1

This is a very critical...precarious...time in Thai politics...and young democracy...

There appears to be no real governing body...no definitive leadership...a ship without a rudder...

If there is no one with the power to make the tough decisions to break the political stalemate...conditions are ripe for anarchy, civil war, total disruption of commerce...and the prospect of border countries taking the opportunity to test a weakened Thai resolve...

Has anyone ever seen the results of cutting a chickens head off...it flounders around...going in first one direction then the other...blood letting...until it dies...

I am afraid that if a responsible government is not formed soon...Thailand will become a headless chicken...

Your comments are correct, but can I ask you do you believe that it witll be the great protest leer who will take over if Yingluck falls

the real leader of the Democrats are waiting in the curtains, not wanting the spot light to shine on them

this campaign has been well thought out believe me

what we are seeing here is a game of chess

Democrates are forcing the PTP to make mistakes

"the Checkmate will come in the Thai Courts"

AS IF,... the courts have nothing to say...... determine in any case, except playing the uselss "It-wasn't-me-bystanders" ,..... in other words the powerful will take the law into their own hands as usual, so not much will actually change...

or have you ever witnessed a court in Thailand having the last successful say on rich and powerful politicians corruption agendas????

Do you????

Edited by MaxLee

I was also among the millions who voted "No" to all election candidates

Coupled with the estimated 12 million people who didn't cast their ballots and there's evidently not much support for whoever does win the election.

In that 12 million do you include those who were prevented from voting by the PRDC mob who prevented ballot boxes and ballot papers being distributed and who blockaded polling stations? Did you also include those Dem supporters who were denied the opportunity of electing the candidate of their choice because their favoured party once again abaondoned democratic principles? An opportunity has been missed. The Dems would not have won an outright majority, but they could have formed a coalition with another party that would have given them a working majority.

• Like 2

Good to see somebody exercising their right to vote but unfortunately, if a government is formed from this mess, it will most likely pay absolutely no notice to what created the mess and continue to implement policy to line their own pockets while giving the Thai people a sugar coated, gold plated, bird.

You obviously don't agree with this PTP government. The Democrat Party are not going to be much use seeing as they have boycotted the democratic process of voting

Which only leaves sutheps "peoples council".

Perhaps you can enlighten us on what actions the "peoples council" will take to sort out this "mess". What are the policies of the unelected "peoples council"?

sutheps followers must know what these policies are, otherwise why would they decide to follow such a nebulous concept? It's just that I haven't seen anywhere how they are going to eradicate corruption, "restore democracy", restore "checks and balances" etc.

One could be forgiven in thinking that is just one big excuse to extract revenge on Thaksin by the very people who have vested interests in keeping the status quo. Talk about "puppets".................

• Like 2

In the meantime, the patience and discipline of the PTP will result in significant votes for its candidates.

Slow and steady, without too much of going off message. Love them or hate them, the PTP knows how to get its vote out and the PTP core voters showed up in large numbers. The Democrats gambled and in so doing handed the election to the PTP.

Coupled with the estimated 12 million people who didn't cast their ballots and there's evidently not much support for whoever does win the election.

In that 12 million do you include those who were prevented from voting by the PRDC mob who prevented ballot boxes and ballot papers being distributed and who blockaded polling stations? Did you also include those Dem supporters who were denied the opportunity of electing the candidate of their choice because their favoured party once again abaondoned democratic principles? An opportunity has been missed. The Dems would not have won an outright majority, but they could have formed a coalition with another party that would have given them a working majority.

The DP must be in contention for the title of most politically inept party on the planet. If they'd run a half-decent campaign, Yingluck's incompetent and venal administration was there for the taking. Instead the Dems are left looking like opportunistic fools who tried to game the system and lost. Anyway, that's probably the end of the road for them. How could anyone in future vote for a parliamentary party that's twice opted for the extra-parliamentary route to try and seize power? What a shower!

And the worst part is, they've left Yingluck and the PTP looking like sensible, reasonable people! It almost beggars belief.

• Like 1

I see you are now Judge and jury here in Thailand

and your job in the west before you came here was ??????

I find it highly entertaining to watch the few remaining anti democracy posters get ever more shrill and desperate in the wake of the successful election. You can almost hear the sound of toys getting chucked out of the pram. Waaaaahhh!

An estimated 75% of the population have already supported democracy by voting. That will rise to the high eighties after the by-elections. It would be even higher if not for the armed intimidation that some voters were subjected to. That's an extraordinarily high turnout by any standards. The vast majority of the 12 million former Democrat voters have obviously turned out. Many of them will have opted for 'no vote', and that's a perfectly legitimate choice, but the important message is that they defied the terrorists and cast their vote.

You have to admire the restraint shown by the government. Faced with an anti-democracy insurrection they have shown admirable restraint at every turn. The number of deaths and injuries have been small so far compared to the actions of Abhisit and Suthep, who turned the dogs loose on Thai citizens, killing almost 100. The sooner they face a court for their crimes, the better.

.post-70418-0-81924500-1391401944_thumb.j

just a waste of time and money...keep on voting for corruption you fools:whistling:

It was not all a waste of money and time, it will help see how the people feel

This was not an election

But a chance for the people to decide do they want

1) Taksin in for a dictatorship, as there was only 1 major party to vote for

2) A chance for a better Thailand by getting rid of ALL the corrupt politicians FROM both sides

As we have idea which one will get the most response, so we need to wait

Wife was told by a friend whose sister was working in a polling booth counters where amazed how many blank voting forms where put into the boxes.

Just maybe you can fool some Thai's some of the time

But I will be happy when you can not fool All the Thai people all of the time

Except if your the one we are counting on to get Thailand moving

and you can not even put your vote into the right box

We all understand Big brother was not there to tell her what to do

"Wife was told by a friend whose sister was working in a polling booth counters where amazed how many blank voting forms where put into the boxes."

I expect your wifes friends sister was "amazed" not by the number of "blank voting forms" but because she realised all those "blank voting forms" would be counted as "spoilt" papers and therefore invalid votes.

I believe, I may be wrong, perhaps some of those who voted "No" could tell me, that there is a specific box to tick to "Vote No". You don't just leave the form blank............................

Edited by fab4

just a waste of time and money...keep on voting for corruption you fools:whistling:

This was not an election

2) A chance for a better Thailand by getting rid of ALL the corrupt politicians FROM both sides

Wife was told by a friend whose sister was working in a polling booth counters where amazed how many blank voting forms where put into the boxes.

"Wife was told by a friend whose sister was working in a polling booth counters where amazed how many blank voting forms where put into the boxes."

I expect your wifes friends sister was "amazed" not by the number of "blank voting forms" but because she realised all those "blank voting forms" would be counted as "spoilt" papers and therefore invalid votes.

I believe, I may be wrong, perhaps some of those who voted "No" could tell me, that there is a specific box to tick to "Vote No". You don't just leave the form blank............................

There is indeed a 'no vote' box that they can tick. If you just put a blank form in the box then obviously it could be ticked for any party later on. You can't believe a word that this guy's wife's sister's friend says.

An resume of the current situation that YL is facing, on CNN iReport

LOST LEGITIMACY, PIGHEADED, UNABLE TO MAINTAIN AUTHORITY

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1080553

An evenly balanced view from Jermsak Pinthong, PhD. Professor and Distinguished Scholar, Rangsit University. So balanced, he has a chip on both shoulders.

Some background

Critics of Yingluck and the Pheu Thai Party, such as Jermsak Pinthong and T-News group, lost contracts with the government-controlled National Broadcasting Services of Thailand (NBT) to produce television and radio news analysis programs broadcast nationally. http://www.hrw.org/world-report-2012/world-report-2012-thailand

Not one to bear a grudge then

Who's who in Thailand's anti-government forces?

Jermsak Pinthong, who still runs his talk show "Beware of the Thaksin-Yingluck Regime" now holds hands with the Democrats, becoming a key speaker on stage. http://www.europe-solidaire.org/IMG/article_PDF/article_a30496.pdf

Of course, perhaps he should best remembered for explaining away the democrat election loss in the July 2011 Election by saying this

"Common people don't understand and they always blame the government," the academic said. http://www.china.org.cn/opinion/2011-07/05/content_22924009.htm

Class act.

• Like 1

In that 12 million do you include

You can send mail to the source for clarification of who was included in the 1 out of every 4 Thais nation-wide didn't vote.

OFFICE OF THE ELECTION COMMISSION OF THAILAND

44 Srijulsup Tower, Rama 1 Road

Rongmuang, Pathumwan, Bangkok

The principal opposition party gave two fingers to the Thai people, like the writer of this piece, and showed utter contempt for the democratic process. As a result, the people were left with only one realistic choice for a government. What the Democrat party need to do now is to rejoin democracy and start campaigning to win seats in the next election, whenever it's held. That's not going to be easy for a party that shows it prefers coup to vote, but they have to start.

The first thing they could do is to expel Abhisit and Suthep, both wanted for murder and inextricably linked to the attempted coup.

wanted for murder.....did you hear the one about the englishman,irishman and the scotaman....well we all know how those jokes end dont we,you just help those jokes to continue....w00t.gif

An estimated 75% of the population have already supported democracy by voting. That will rise to the high eighties after the by-elections.

For example:

Voter turnout was a little over 40 per cent in Chai Nat, less than 50 per cent in Phichit, about 50 per cent in Ayutthaya, according to local election officials.

same link as above

The vast majority of the 12 million former Democrat voters have obviously turned out.

So the 12 million voters who didn't turn out were mainly from Pheu Thai Party voters?

I find it highly entertaining to watch the few remaining anti democracy posters get ever more shrill and desperate in the wake of the successful election. You can almost hear the sound of toys getting chucked out of the pram. Waaaaahhh!

An estimated 75% of the population have already supported democracy by voting. That will rise to the high eighties after the by-elections. It would be even higher if not for the armed intimidation that some voters were subjected to. That's an extraordinarily high turnout by any standards. The vast majority of the 12 million former Democrat voters have obviously turned out. Many of them will have opted for 'no vote', and that's a perfectly legitimate choice, but the important message is that they defied the terrorists and cast their vote.

You have to admire the restraint shown by the government. Faced with an anti-democracy insurrection they have shown admirable restraint at every turn. The number of deaths and injuries have been small so far compared to the actions of Abhisit and Suthep, who turned the dogs loose on Thai citizens, killing almost 100. The sooner they face a court for their crimes, the better.

.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

successful election....you get better by the hour,i was going to watch a dara o,brien dvd now i think i will wait ..cheesy.gif stop scraping the bottom of that barrell theres nothing left..apols for spelling..

The people of Thailand have had their vote they have decided who will governs them well done Thailand another step in the right direction for freedom and democracy, and if they dont like the elected government there is always the next time, every vote counts

An evenly balanced view from Jermsak Pinthong, PhD. Professor and Distinguished Scholar, Rangsit University.

I agree. Many excellent points were made by Dr. Pinthong, particularly Points 1 through 9.

tut tut Sammy. You really should not distort a member's post to change its meaning.

"I did it in honour of the people, in Thailand and overseas, who lost and risked their lives in securing equality for all regardless of religion, gender and personal beliefs."

Why stop there? How about equality for all regardless of wealth?

Seems to be the elephant in the room.

I don't expect the author of the article to look any further than the distance lead by the usual non-thinking establishments of power.

Much of this article is quite reasonable in many areas, though inconsistent in others. Indeed, arguments of absolutism always find some kind of inconvenient brick wall along the way, as are many roads that are paved with good intentions. These are experienced on both sides of the equation. Suthep experiences it himself, and the writer is right to point out those inconsistencies. But the premise which supports - as well as refutes - both stands, is that the very foundation of a functional system of democracy doesn't really apply here. Certainly not as it was clearly meant to. That is the crux of the matter. It's not that democracy doesn't work. It's that it has never really been fully applied. The levels of corruption that have gone through in spite of the checks and balances that were designed to stop it, but couldn't - is where things are at. And there is no doubt - in my mind, at least - that that could have blissfully continued - dysfunction and all - had it not been for the increased intervention of one man - Thaksin - who was quite prepared to close whatever democratic loopholes were still left. It was that fear that I believe brought people to the streets. I think the writer of this article need not fear about the PDRC, however. I expect - when all is said and done - that they will recede in the distance. As they should. Reform will always come slowly to this country. And it will indeed need to be confirmed at the ballot box. But the parties need to come together and work together on a vision that both can accept. Because for this country to go forward, everyone will need to feel that they were a part of that path. That is the heart of reconciliation. Not an amnesty bill intended for one.

. image.jpg

Why do you think the "anti democracy posters" are few? Is that your hope, or have you actually counted? If you look through the various politics related forums you will find quite alot of posters who do not support the election.

Do you actually think Abhisit and Suthep will be convicted of murder, or is that just another hope of yours?

I assume the "successful election" will lead to a new government in the next few days, as is generally the case with successful elections? Or is that yet another hope of yours? I am one of those desperate few you mention who thinks it will be a while before we will see a new government. Time will tell which one of us is right :-)

• Like 1

An evenly balanced view from Jermsak Pinthong, PhD. Professor and Distinguished Scholar, Rangsit University. So balanced, he has a chip on both shoulders.

Ha, yeah - Chermsak is about as rabidly anti-Thaksin as they come. But moreover, if you actually read the thing, it's totally ridiculous and over the top to the point that surely no one could take it seriously. Not unless they're already hooked on the Suthep Kool Aid anyway. It's not even one of those things where you think 'hey, we're usually of opposing views but I think the guy might make a few good points here'.

For instance "9) The government has created a huge debt burden to the country with unprecedented borrowing since Thailand ever exists." lol - right, since the country existed. Last I read in the BKK Post, public debt was down. And the rest is much the same. So outrageously hyperbolic it's very easy for people to ignore. Whereas obviously there are many sensible criticisms that could be made of the Yingluck administration.

• Like 1

This was not an election

There is indeed a 'no vote' box that they can tick. If you just put a blank form in the box then obviously it could be ticked for any party later on. You can't believe a word that this guy's wife's sister's friend says.

it appears you also fall into that category...clap2.gif

post-70418-0-57731400-1391406960_thumb.j

This is the only argument that matters here. 36 million of these used already. More than 40 million by the time all votes are cast. Suthep called for a boycott of the election, he got 40 million answers......or 80 million fingers, to put it another way. That's a lot of fingers.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

This is the only argument that matters here. 36 million of these used already. More than 40 million by the time all votes are cast. Suthep called for a boycott of the election, he got 40 million answers......or 80 million fingers, to put it another way. That's a lot of fingers.

Not sure where you saw these turnout figures but I'm pretty sure it's wrong (I haven't seen any official figures yet). In 2011 there were only around 33 million voters. This time if there were 20 million voters I think it would count as a success of sorts.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Not sure where you saw these turnout figures but I'm pretty sure it's wrong (I haven't seen any official figures yet). In 2011 there were only around 33 million voters. This time if there were 20 million voters I think it would count as a success of sorts.

See the other thread "Thailand election : Doubt over poll outcome". To quote from it "An estimated 12 million people, or 25% of all 48.7 million eligible voters, have failed to cast ballots......Election Commission Official".

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

40.000.000 voted yesterday,including advanced and international..you are a dreamer...

• Like 1